Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Bandsaw purchase

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by brownale99, Mar 2, 2017.

1. brownale99

brownale99 TDPRI Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Newcastle, UK
    Following my cheap and old bandsaw buying blunder I've decided to go ahead and buy another but hopefully something a bit better. I have the chance of a Clarke CBS300 at £180 and was wondering if you folks had any experience of them. There's not a great deal of info on the net and what I have found is not much use. I ticks all the boxes from my point of view but I don't want to get lumbered with a big doorstop. There seems to be a bit of a void between the small 8" hobby saws and the bigger stuff and the price jump is quite considerate and this just seemed to fall in the middle at reasonable price. That's about as much as I can afford at the moment, any info or guidance would be appreciated.

2. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Holic

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    I've never seen that bandsaw, but I have a 10" powertec branded saw that looks suspiciously like it. I'd be wary if o were you, as far as I can tell nothing under 14" is worth having. The 12" and under saws are all kind of cheesy and just don't work well. Not to say you can't build guitars with them, I've been using mine successfully for a couple of years now, but every time I use it I'm preoccupied with what apiece of crap it is. I am going to bite the bullet and shell out for something better here pretty soon I think.

brownale99 likes this.

3. brownale99

brownale99 TDPRI Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Newcastle, UK
    Thanks Nick, the problem I have is the price jump to a decent 14" saw is out of my league at the moment unless I buy a 30 year old one which puts me back where I started with a bandsaw I can't get parts for :( I don't really want to go down the hobby saw 8" route but I cant afford the bigger 14" saws. Just trying to find a middle ground solution.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Having recently bought a bandsaw, I can tell you it that it absolutely opens a lot of doors to what you can do. Yes, there is a work around for any task that you might want to do if you don't have a bandsaw. But a bandsaw is the right tool for a lot of tasks. A lot. Cutting body and neck shapes, ripping truss rod fill strips, resawing veneer for headstocks, making jigs...the list can go on forever. I don't get a lot of free time for woodwork. A bandsaw will make more efficient use of your time at the very least.

The saw you linked to looks to be about 1 hp, and 12 inch throat (apologize for converting to something that I can visualize). Wait for others with more practical experience to comment, but it sure seems like it would be up to the task of cutting shapes. I don't have enough practical experience to comment on resaw capacity. Sure seems like I see others do a lot with smaller bandsaws, so this seems good if its in your wheelhouse. I've heard others suggest that you get enough saw for what your budget allows, cause you will use it for this kind of work.

Since I got my saw, I think I've used it for small tasks every time I've been in my shop. The heavy cutting has already been done on my current build, but I'm anxious to really put it to work on the next build. You will love, love, love having a bandsaw.

brownale99 likes this.

6. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Quite a slick video, and on balance it looks like a decent little saw. Probably under-powered a bit for resawing, but slow and steady will eventually get you there. Cast-iron table is a big plus, as is a blade tension release that allows you to return to your pre-set tension. I think the roller bearing blade guides is a positive feature, but do remember to clean and Oil them every so often to prolong their life. Miter gauge looks a joke, but the rip fence, much more important, IMO, seems decent. I've seen worse for the money.

7. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I got a free 12". I can say, most assuredly, that 14" would have probably been more convenient, but I've found it workable thus far.

And it is far workable than what I was using: my (possessed) jigsaw.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.