Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bands like Tedeschi Trucks Band?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by rainbowbear998, Sep 4, 2017.

1. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    Double post.Internet issues.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

2. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    Im of the impression her solo work isnt played live? Ive seen her many times as she grew up close to me. Very easy going selfless individual -nice people. I never see her play her pre Derek song list though you? I could be wrong but I do think some of her best work was done solo. Just Won't Burn is a good indication.[/QUOTE]

As a fan of this band,I don't get why you wouldn't like it.I was a fan of her stuff,this is just a progression of that.She sings a majority of songs ,still gets a few solos and generally just kills it every night.I just don't understand.o_O

3. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland

They broke up.

4. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    They are harder than TTB but Blackberry Smoke has a following.
    They are kinda at a Marshall Tucker level.

esetter likes this.

5. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    The best part about TTB is that it pleases A LOT of people. My favorite show ever was Project Z in '01. My favorite show that I could take my wife to (and not sleep on the couch afterwards) was TTB @ the Ryman this past March.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I'll second Warren Haynes. Just about anytime he plays with anyone seems to be similar with the great Tedeschi Trucks Band. I believe that they play together sometimes.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

7. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Nah...they lost Jackie Greene and Tom Bukovac but added Guthrie Trapp...evolution.

http://triggerhippy.net/

8. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Holic

Trigger hippy sound great to me!
    Also a +1 for Chris Robinson Brotherhood

joealso and broadcaster like this.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree with these two suggestions. Not with most of the others, so much.

Part of the appeal of Susan and Derek's band is, it is in the nature of some of these other kinds of bands but they simply do not sound like so many of the others - and the Black Crowes are a perfect example of a missed opportunity in this genre, if you ask me. This is a huge band, in case you haven't noticed.

One idea is to simply identify and stream radio stations that play a lot of Tedeschi Trucks. Listen to the other songs by other bands on the playlist and choose the ones you like. You will find other stuff you like but no way I can predict WHICH of the others you may really like. I just can't say in advance if you will like Blackberry Smoke or the Pimps of Joytime or Lucinda Williams or Government Mule or Jason Isbell or Joan Osbourne or Lukas Nelson - I would recommend WUTC (chattanooga, 88.1) and WFIV (knoxville, 105.3) as places to start.

10. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Meister

The TTB has talent, but I can't connect. I was a big fan of the Derrick Trucks Band,
    for me the new line up just doesn't have the edge, but that's the path they chose.
    I'm just not a big fan now.

11. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    Listening to the radio and Soundgarden's Burden In My Hand came on and I can't help but think "I'd love to hear Mike Mattison sing this."

12. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    I get that, and feel that way about the live show sometimes. Everyone serves the song so much that they get too laid back for me sometimes. However, the show this summer was just phenomenal, and there was more butt-kicking on stage. When Susan starts really pushing her vocals the whole band brings it up a notch.

They don't play much of Susan's solo material in the TTB show, but they don't play much of Derek's previous material either. The set changes almost every night, though, and sometimes one gets included.

For my money, Wait For Me was the pinnacle of Susan's solo work.

I'm excited to check out the new lineup of Trigger Hippy. Last I heard, Jackie Greene had moved on and the band was dormant. Gotta go change the streaming station now...

13. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    I saw them at The Ryman in Nashville this past spring. The balcony felt like it was about to collapse when Statesboro started and the encore was "With a little help from my friends" which was equally magical. When he started touring with Sue I kinda felt like she was Yoko and ruined on of my favs. Coming back to it a few years later after listening to a lot of soul and r&b they're my thing once again. I suppose just the natural progression of things.

14. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas

15. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Just my opinion, but there's no planet anywhere upon which Susan Tedeschi's name should be used in the same sentence as Yoko. All due respect, but, nope, that ain't right. Glad the band is back in your good graces, but.

Hard to find the equivalent to TTB otherwise, in current terms - who else has a horn section with such a great mix of blues, blues rock, r&b and soul gospel? Guess that makes it a good question.

Plenty of the suggestions above are good ones, and in the same vein, at least as the blues/blues rock traditions goes, (or whatever that means) but hmm, maybe Bruno Mars.

6stringcowboy and esetter like this.

16. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    New banding I just joined covers Anyhow. Spent the last week feeling mighty inferior to Mr Trucks.

6stringcowboy likes this.

17. sds1

sds1 Tele-Meister

May 4, 2017
    Orlando, FL, USA
    This happens. Some folks miss the experimental/worldly nature of the music. Some miss the nonstop Derek features. Some people can't stand Susan's voice.

I'll drop Marcus King's name again, he's definitely in his dTb phase right now and killing it.

Jim622 likes this.

18. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Holic

Oct 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    They named the band after their father.

19. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    Yeah I completely agree that I didn't know what I was thinking 8-10 years ago... But how I felt at the time was how a felt. I think I was really guitar music and felt betrayed? I probably would've loved Joe Bonamassa then too, who, now I just don't get the appeal of. Great player but doesn't give me that feeling. now I'm just really into music and sometimes they've got good, great, or phenomenal guitar players... Sometimes they don't. I think I saw them in 98-99 when I was 15-16 before the ABB w/ Jimmy herring (also was magical) I don't know that I would enjoy that show now as much as I did then.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.