Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bands like Tedeschi Trucks Band?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by rainbowbear998, Sep 4, 2017.

1. rainbowbear998

rainbowbear998 Tele-Meister

Jul 11, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    So I've recently fallen in love with the Tedeschi Trucks Band, particularly all their live albums. Just such a tight, technically great band with so much groove and feeling, and my god Derek can play the guitar... Anyway, there's only so much music they put out, and I was wondering if there are any other great bands that play a similar 'jam rock' style.

2. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Great band, blues -blues rock-southern rock. Shes the real deal, plays writes and sings. Whats ashamed is talent such as hers isnt really appreciated by the mass population.

Im of the impression her solo work isnt played live? Ive seen her many times as she grew up close to me. Very easy going selfless individual -nice people. I never see her play her pre Derek song list though you? I could be wrong but I do think some of her best work was done solo. Just Won't Burn is a good indication.

TeleFunk Man likes this.

3. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

Agree with what Mahogany is saying. You should check out Susan Tedeschi's solo stuff (before Trucks). "Just Won't Burn" is a great album with the late Sean Costello on lead guitar.

straightface and ftbtx like this.

4. ValDiaz

ValDiaz Tele-Holic

Jan 1, 2014
    Glasgow, UK
    Try some Black Crowes if you haven't already. There's some great live stuff on youtube. And the Allman Brothers (obviously).

5. sabby

sabby Tele-Meister

Jun 29, 2005
    Youngstown, Ohio
    It's not contemporary, but check out Joe Cocker and Mad Dogs and Englishmen, if you're not already familiar with it.

6. sds1

sds1 Tele-Meister

May 4, 2017
    Orlando, FL, USA
    Check out Marcus King Band.

Also go back and listen to old Derek Trucks Band and especially the Soul Stew Revival days with Susan+dTb, this is the precursor to TTB. All of this live material is available on archive.org for free streaming.

Jim622 likes this.

7. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I've recently come across the TTB and got pointed towards Hollis Brown (album 3 Shots), The Brothers Landreth (Let It Lie) and Sonny Landreth (Live In Lafayette).

I'm not expert on American "Country" or "Cajun / Zydeco" type music (as I'm only staring to find my way round a bit of it) but I do like these guys.

8. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    You know, I've recently stumbled across a band named Trigger Hippy and they fit your description. The band's all A-team players with the drummer and a couple of guitarists that all did a stent in the Black Crows. And I gotta say, very few singers could go toe-to-toe with Susan Tedeschi but Joan Osbourne is one of them.

9. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003

10. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    Warren Haynes leads a good tight band. Storyville is another one I like. Both have great live albums out.

6stringcowboy and Obsessed like this.

11. joealso

joealso Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    East Haddam, CT
    Bands like Cowboy Junkies, Chris Robinson Brotherhood, Hard Working Americans, Widespread Panic, Umphrey's McGee come to mind.

Jim622 likes this.

12. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2015
    New Jersey
    I might look at the Chris Robinson Brotherhood.

13. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Nov 17, 2006
    MA
    Magpie Salute. Marc Ford and Rich Robinson's new band.

14. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Robert Randolph & the Family Band
    North Mississippi All-Stars
    Not as bluesy, but String Cheese Incident is worth a listen, as is Railroad Earth

15. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The Altered Five Blues Band

16. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Personally, I'm happy the so-called, jam band daze are over...many of them may have had good intentions, but not the chops to go...not pointing any fingers, but I know em when I hear em. I cringe when they include Little Feat in this category, Lowell George liked to stretch out at times, live, but was more about the songs...Bill Payne & Paul Barrere began improvising more, developing their own writing, with the growing popularity of '70's jazz fusion :cool:

IMG_1798.JPG

Susan Tedeschi, June 25, 2008, Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver...she was fronting her own band, when I took this photo, standing in front of the stage

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

17. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    Check out The Wood Brothers...

6stringcowboy likes this.

18. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Holic

Oct 24, 2012
    southern California
    How come Leon Russell gets no love?

19. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I thought you meant husband and wife..
    359px-Ozzie_and_Harriet_Nelson_1964.JPG

nojazzhere likes this.

20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    This Ozzie had his own band at one time, don't know how much jammin' they did.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.