Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bandmaster Reverb With 2 Ohm Secondary?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by robrob, Nov 13, 2017.

1. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    I just noticed that the back plate of my AA270 silverface Bandmaster Reverb says "TOTAL LOAD 2 OHMS" at the speaker jack. All of the Bandmaster Reverb schematics (AA768, AA1069, AA270) say, "TOTAL LOAD 4 OHMS". I have always run this amp with a 4 ohm load.

[​IMG]

A 2 ohm output is normally for 4 eight ohm speakers in parallel but the Bandmaster Reverbs were supposed to push 2 eight ohm speakers in parallel.

Is the 2 ohm plaque simply listing the amp's minimum load?

[​IMG]

2. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2004
    That's a SF Super Reverb back panel. 2 ohms; 45 watts

Maybe it was put on stock by mistake (both amps used the same chassis)? Or found its way on along the way?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017

3. corliss1

corliss1 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    Here's a shot of one I had. This was a drip edge from 69. No such label on mine, but I'd suspect you're right about it being the minimum load.

screenshot.1.jpg

4. corliss1

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    Ooooooh good call on the possible Super Reverb rear panel, @Wyatt

5. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    Rob,
    My ‘73 BMR says “Total load 4 ohms”
    “45 Watts RMS”

6. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    Thanks Andy, I'm thinking maybe Wyatt is right and it's a replacement rear panel or maybe it was a factory mistake. All the Bandmaster Reverb rear panels on Google say 4 ohms or don't list the load at all.

Andy B likes this.

7. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    Lovely pic.

robrob likes this.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Rob, what is the output rating below those output jack? If it reads 45 watts, then one could think that Wyatt is correct about the subbed back panel.

9. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2004
    Not sure we can go with that.

I just checked my '66 Super Reverb and it says 40 watts (not that I can guarantee it's original, but I think it is). And @Andy B's SFBR apparently says 45 watts.

10. corliss1

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    It does saw the 45 watts, @Wally

The Super Reverb panel makes even more sense because of Fender only using the 8ohm speakers in most situations, athough it would likely need to be an early panel.

@robrob - does that panel look original? What about the OT connections?

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Hmmmm....and here I have always thought the SR was a 45 watt amp while the Bandmaster/Pro Reverb/and other 2 x 6L6 amps with the small OT were 40 watt amps. The Bassman with a SS rectifier versus the tube is a 50 watt amp, is it not? Ah well....... mysteries abound.....

12. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2004
    To my knowledge that is so, I was surprised to see 40 watts on my back panel.

But here are two more '66 SR's that say "40 watts"...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017

13. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    To my understanding the 40 watt amps changed to 45 watts sometime around 1971. The My Pro Reverb which dates 12/70 is 40 watts while my ‘73 BMR is 45 watts. I’ve never paid that close attention to the back nameplates on all the amps I’ve serviced.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.