Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Bandmaster reverb vs twin reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by flag72, Mar 3, 2012.

1. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

well on my long search for a vintage amp 2 model have come up, a 1973 fender twin reverb in good but not great condition cosmetic is ruff a few scuff on tolex and grill as darken some wath and internals are good but caps and tubs might need to be adresse to latter on.the Bandmaster reverb is a 1979 head and speaker cabinet both are fender piece in great cosmetic condition and very good internal condition as no issue, twin is going for 650.00 and the bandmaster 750.00. Im not familiar with the bandmaster is this a good amp these amp are big I know so dont mention it but how do they compare...

thanks for the advice guys and gals;)

2. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

If the Bandmaster Reverb is a 70-watt ultralinear transformer model, I'd get the Twin instead.

3. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

I prefer the twin in this situation. I have a bMr and had a twin. I loved the twin for big clean sound. The bandmaster is a good amp but I don't like head and cab deals.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

If you want my opinion (like the forum rules state I should only give...:)

I would without hesitation go for the Twin.

6. robt57

robt57 Doctor of Teleocity

Me, I'd take the BMR if I had to have only one of those two. It is a calm 40 watts though I should say [IMO] as compared to the big head room the twin will provide.

if you need a Big Block, get the twin...

"1979 should be too early for a UL BMR, weren't the UL amps more like 76?"

EDIT: What? Boy I re-read that and it make no sense at all.... Brain musta moved on already....

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  7. Chris Winsemius

Chris Winsemius Tele-Meister

The use of UL transformers did start in '77 (70 and 135 Watt models); the VibroluxReverb, DeluxeReverb, Princeton(Reverb) and (Vibro)Champ did keep "regular" transformers.

In this case I would also go for the TR. Spend a bit on TLC and you have a great (clean) gigging amp imo.

8. Delta63

Delta63 Tele-Holic

Hands down: twin reverb (tonewise)

but: its LOUD

and if its too loud: get a good attenuator.

9. robt57

robt57 Doctor of Teleocity

I have not played a UL BMR, but had a SFSuper UL. I'd say the BMR UL should have the head room, guess on my part. But if the UL super is an indicator, it may not have quite the sweet spot.

Did they drop the Tube Rectifier in the UL BMR? I am thinking [scary I know] that was the case, thus totally different animal from the 73 BMR I had.

I would sure miss the 73 MBR more if not for the 63 Brown Pro that I got to replace it... Reverb, schmeverb. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.