Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bandits and other TransTube amps…

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LGOberean, Nov 14, 2017.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    In the last couple of months on TDPRI, I’ve posted threads—even polls—about amps I’m interested in. I’m not typically a guy who impulse buys. I’ll see an ad, use TDPRI as a sounding board and take recommendations, researching them, test-driving and doing comparisons where I can, etc. Recently, this process led me to decide to replace a stolen Bandit. I haven’t ruled out buying new, but would rather find a used one, preferably a USA red stripe.

But that’s proving difficult. Since September, I’ve been trolling the local pawn shops. I haven’t seen a single Bandit, of any stripe. None to be found on the local CL, either. Ebay has had some listings, but they’re mostly priced at $275 or more, and none are local, and many sellers don't ship ("Free Local Pickup"). GC used is an option, but I’d have to pay shipping to get it to Corpus Christi.

While I’m not giving up, I’m considering broadening the search. I know about and have owned in the past Peavey Envoy 110s and Studio Pros. And in a previous thread, TDPRI member JayFreddy recommended the Peavey Revolution 112. So I’ve been looking into other amps in the Peavey TransTube series. In addition to the Revolution, I’ve seen reference to the Express 112, Transformer 112 and 112 EFX.

Am I missing something? Anyone want to enlighten me on one of these other amps?

2. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The shop I worked at sold a lot of Studio Pro 112s. I think they were equal to any Bandit. One of the best SS amps I ever played. 65 watts and 12" speaker for $379. The Fender Princeton 65 and 65 DSP were really great, as well. When I got mine, I started taking it to rehearsals and gigs instead of my Classic 30, 'cause it sounded just as good, but was much lighter.

PhredE likes this.

3. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2013
    Metro Detroit
    I was looking for a small tube combo and found one I liked online through GC used. There were pros to this, like the chance to return it, to buy into longer term replacement coverage, no hassle of classified sites, etc. It arrived incredibly well packaged in a box about twice it's size full of shipping popcorn. The cost to ship was negligible. So, my experience was good.

Regarding the Bandit, I believe you chimed in when I was considering a red stripe Envoy, which I found locally for about the price of dinner. I don't know if you're planning on gigging with it but the Envoy is great, and I'm sure would cover smaller, cafe size venues just fine. The clean channel is hard to fault, and the overdrive offers some very usable choices, though I see most suggest plugging into the clean with a pedal to cover that. Well, it's fine for what I do.

I ended up getting a Mod spring reverb tank in an effort to emlinate a little buzz coming through the reverb when higher up. It helped a bit and I can live with it as is now. Any way, all around, I think they're still pretty hard to beat.

Best,

4. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2011
    Mississippi
    Take a road trip through Louisiana and Mississippi. I bet you'll find some cheap Bandits. I passed up a very clean Envoy last week because I thought $50 was too much.

5. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Yes, the Studio Pros are great. As I said, I've owned some in the past, a teal stripe 110 and a black box/silver stripe 112. The 110 I gave to my son years ago when he needed an amp. The 112 I did some gigs with, eventually sold it. Like a lot of us on TDPRI, I guess I'm looking back with seller's remorse. The 65 watts of the Studio Pro 112 was plenty, and the amp was 10 pounds or so lighter than my Bandit.

ce24 likes this.

6. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Glad to hear that a good experience can be had shipping items from one GC to another. I've bought used gear fom my local GC before, but have never had something shipped. I need to find out about there return policy as it applies to such transactions.

I've owned 3 Envoys over the years, I don't remember offhand if I've ever gigged with one, though. I've no doubt it would work well for small venue gigs, but I've got amps for that now. Most gigs that I do now are the smaller variety, For the prospect of other gigs, I'm wanting more horsepower, larger venues, outdoor stages, etc.

7. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I've done a number of road trips through Louisiana and Mississippi over the years, but never for the purpose of scoring gear. BTW, although my branch of our family has been in Texas for more than 100 years, my great-grandfather came from Alcorn County, MS; his father was the postmaster for their community, his log cabin was the post office. The community is not on the map these days; it's post office was consolidated with others in the 1920s. But about 15 miles west of Corinth on Hwy 72, you turn north onto Alcorn County Rd. 747, about a half mile later, the road intersects Co. Rd. 770, where a road sign directs you to Overton Hill in 1 mile. I've loved making trips to Mississippi. I've done genealogical research in the Alcorn County Courthouse in Corinth back before the internet had that much to offer. But it's been 10 years since my last trip.

Sorry, got a little distracted there...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.