Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Band broke up.....not sure how I feel.

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Knowcaster, Apr 16, 2018.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    It sounds like Bob pulled a Roger Waters; I'm quitting, therefore the band is finished.

2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Makes me think Bob had an ulterior motive, possibly forming something new or joining up with someone else

thegeezer likes this.
  3. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Sounds like it hasrun its course.. as things do.

If you really wanted to keep to going it would be a immediate "yes absolutely let's figure this out .." reaction.

Stay active try some new things, keep a ear to the ground, when the next thing comes along you will know.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    MilwMark likes this.
  4. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I'm concerned with the way Bob left the band. He is either (a) not the sort of guy you want to be in a band with and you are better off without him, or (b) he has issues at the moment. If it is not (a) I would go and have a talk to him, he might appreciate a friend. you never know what might come of it.

5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

If you play in a band with vocals, the singer is your most important player. A so-so band with a great singer is going to get way more gigs than a great band with a so-so singer.
    I'm in a fun instrumental funk band right now, and we are getting regular gigs. If we ever add a singer, even someone who just sits in for a set, it will be on our terms, and
    it will have to be someone really, really good. Otherwise we have a good thing going and no need to complicate it.

Synapse2k likes this.
  6. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for all of your thoughts and suggestions. At this point I do not plan on following up with "Bob" to find out why he bailed on us the way he did. I also don't think I will pursue continuing the band with a replacement for him, but I haven't spoken to the other two guys yet.

My plan for now is to chill for a few weeks and then consider my options. My wife and I are spending a week at the beach in mid May, and getting away is always a good time to reflect on life and what is important. When I get back I try to settle on what I want to do next, but don't think I will be in any rush.

If anyone is in the Pittsburgh area I may be looking for some folks to jam with, so let me know.

jimilee likes this.
  7. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    agreed...

Why cancel the gigs without a discussion, even a short one. They were not HIS gigs, they were BAND gigs. Other people with 3 years "in" were involved and committed.

He owes you an explanation , do not let him off the hook. He owes you the "why he did it" . You shouldn't even have to ask, 3 years of friendship and band mates suggest respect.

Regardless of what you all do now, he owes you the "WHY" and "WHY NOW" out of personal respect.

Of course it's just my mind wandering but i suspect he already has something in mind or he would not have not canceled the gigs with YOU GUYS. Don't be shocked if he joined another band.

Bands break-up all the time, thats not the issue here, his actions are in question here without a discussion. What if it was the other way around, you being offered a gig with another band. Would you just drop out and leave him cold or would you give him ample notice. ? What if TWO of you quit with no notice, do you think he would be pissed off ! I guarantee the first words out of his mouth would be. " we have gigs booked , you are totally screwing me " , and he would be right.

When bands break up, friendships are supposed to continue.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.