Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Baja Telecaster with ground problem hum ?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by bastardbus, Feb 17, 2009.

1. bastardbus

bastardbus TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Toledo Ohio
    I have a very new baja tele, I am getting a hum from the guitar unless I touch the control plate or the neck pick up. So I am assuming I have a ground problem as when I touch just the strings or bridge I still have that ground hum.

Being a baja tele I am not sure of the schematic and what to look for.
    I am guessing there is a ground wire from the bridge to the control plate that is loose or bad...maybe I am off on this. Any tips or ideas
    thanks
    T

2. andrewr

andrewr Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2008
    London, UK
    I had this problem as well on my Baja - it was intermittent.

I'd assumed it was a dodgy ground wire, but when I was replacing the pickups, it turns out there isn't one. A tech I know explained that on tele bridge pups with baseplates, the baseplate is grounded, and that on many teles, grounding the bridge/strings relies on the mounting screws going through the bridge plate and then the pickup's baseplate.

So I put in my new pickups, didn't bother with a ground, and the problem never came back on my Baja... :D

HOWEVER, I did try that pickup in a nother guitar for a while - and blow me if the problem didn't appear on that guitar. I suspected the screw connections at first, but found that wasn't it - the baseplate's grounding itself was intermittent, there's a dodgy connection in/on the pickup.

I looked at it, and decided I could break the pickup altogether by fiddling with its connections, so I ran another ground wire from a pot cover to the baseplate - problem solved :D (in the end I got new pickups for that guitar as well :lol:)

3. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

You can easily just run a jumper wire temporarily from the Bridge to the control plate, and see if that helps.

4. bastardbus

bastardbus TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Toledo Ohio
    Yes mine has been intermitent as well.

I really like the pick-ups and don't want to change em. Maybe I can call fender or something and get another sounds like a pick up problem.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got a Baja with what I thought was a dodgy S-1 switch. I may go ahead and do an "alternate ground" from the bridge plate to the back of the volume pot.

6. porknblue

porknblue Tele-Holic

Dec 27, 2007
    South Bend, IN
    My Baja hums as well. I'll give this one a shot next time I'm in string changing mode.

Good info folks!

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

8. dinmentor

dinmentor TDPRI Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Sweden
    Hi Guys!
    (Yes this is an old thread but also covers the same issue i am having.)

So, im having the same kind of hum issue on my Baja Tele, but when i touch either my strings, bridge or knobs the hum gets silenced... All is good but, to make it even better what should i do?

Is shielding the only way to get it quiet then?

Click here for Service manual, Baja Tele

9. 74 Deluxe

74 Deluxe Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2011
    Illinois
    I'm really not trying to be a smart alec but.... Single coil pups hum. Shielding will help but not remove hum. You want it gone, put humbuckers in it, or always play in the middle position. You want it to sound like a tele, but be quiet? Roll your volume knob off when your not playing. There's a difference between having a hum PROBLEM, and your pickups humming because they are single coils. OP's axe hummed EVEN THOUGH he was grounding it with his hands, there's a ground problem.

10. 11garich

11garich TDPRI Member

May 27, 2012
    Lakeview
    I have the same issue, I have had my baja tele shielded and it did nothing. I played my Fender marauder through my amp and the P90 doesn't have any hum, which leads me to believe there is definitely something wrong with my baja tele. I don't have any clue on what to do to fix it. The only music shop around says that when they played it that they didn't have any problem with a ground hum. Any suggestions?

11. Scrappy

Scrappy TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Happy Valley, PA
    Anyone ever figure out what to do here?

I'm thinking this is me - real loud unless I touch control plate. I wondered if it was a faulty ground. If I call Fender and ask, will they know or be helpful?

Old thread. Wondering if anyone's out there...

Scrappy

12. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Tele-Meister

May 22, 2013
    New York
    There are too many variables that can cause the hum. Single coil especially hotter PUPs hum. Tube amps hum. Bad wiring in the household causes hum. Pedals cause hum. Cables cause hum. Apliances cause hum. Florescent lighting cause hum. The list goes on. If you are touching the strings or metal part and the hum stops or it is much lower, thats pretty much normal. Watch demos on youtube for instance. When the musician stops playing he always turns down the volume. Thats for a reason. Its to reduce the hum so its not in the background when he is describing the atributes of the instrument. Humbuckers or the noiseless type PUPs would be the best alternative if the hum is just not tolerable for you.

13. ferrass

ferrass TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Portugal
    +1

14. Scrappy

Scrappy TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Happy Valley, PA
    I understand that hum will lessen when I touch the strings, but this is just so much louder than any guitar I've experienced before - far more than my strat or P-90 hollow body that I compared last evening to the Baja. I have experience with a decent variety of guitars. Also, this problem is not wiring in the house, lighting, the amp (I tried multiple amps). This is something that I do not think should be happening.

The loudness of the hum combined with the fact that it does not respond well to turning down the tone knob tells me that there is something beyond typical single coil hum.

15. Pickin'

Pickin' TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I found this thread while trying to learn why my brand new Baja Tele hums. At first I thought it was my little cheapie Fender Frontman amp, but I soon discovered that if I touched the control plate or knobs, the bridge plate, or any of the strings, the hum will disappear. Not being an electrical engineer (or even getting a casting call to play one on TV) the best I could guess is that there's a grounding problem of some sort.

The hum is lessened if I dial back the tone knob but it never truly goes away. I'll deal with it until these strings need replacement, but I'd love to know what the fast 'n easy fix is.................other than taking it to a shop.

16. MacSpadger

MacSpadger TDPRI Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Milngavie, Scotland
    I have a fair bit of hum from my Baja too. I'm kinda geezerish, I guess, had several Teles since the 1970's, and love them, but the Baja is the loudest humwise of any guitar I've had. I had just wondered if it might be due to all the extra wiring that the S1 switching seems to carry?

If you laid it out end to end, there's gottae' be a heap more wiring there than in a Standard Tele.

But, as per the norm, when I'm playing/touching the metallics, the hum goes, when I'm not, it's humming pretty loud, even for a Tele. I don't use much overdrive/distortion, so can live with it.

17. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    if the buzz is less volume than the actual signal when you play and it goes away when you touch the bridge then all is well. Shielding may help but the wiring is all right. There is hum too, from being single coils, that should diminish with a certain orientation of the guitar relative to the amp. The electrical environment you're playing in has lot to do with it. Are you using pedals, if so they should be powered from the same outlet as the amp. you can test them by running off batteries. Test each cable in the chain. Try it a different room or different building if you feel like experimenting ..

18. Pickin'

Pickin' TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Thanks for the help guys. This is my first Tele (or guitar for that matter) so I'm not sure what's "normal" yet. I'll just try to hurry up with earning my chops. Then I can keep the hum covered with beautiful music. ;)

19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Are you sitting in front of a computer or monitor/television when you are testing this?
    Those are big sources.

I have two guitars that are heavily grounded and shielded. One has the buzz much louder than the other. The difference is the quiet one has a covered humbucker while the other has an uncovered humbucker. I used the same flashing tape I shielded the control cavities with and made a 'cover cap' for the uncovered humbucker. Made that guitar as quiet as the first in front of the computer. It was a good test.

The second uncovered pickup guitar, without the quickie cover, is very quiet compared to other guitars. I foil covered the control cavity, the backs of the pickup cavities, and used a shielded cable from the control cavity to the output jack (many guitars use a twisted pair).

If you have a ground problem, the typical symptom is the guitar gets a lot louder when you touch the metal bits on it, just like touching the end of the guitar cable with your fingers when the amp is cranked with distortion. If it gets quieter when touching the guitar then you need better shielding.

ianstrike likes this.

20. Pickin'

Pickin' TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Thank you for the tips. I had TV and computer turned off, but did have a ceiling fan, Wi-Fi, and a few curly fry light bulbs on, as well as placing the little amp about three feet in front of me. Know that I know what's going on, I'll do more experimenting with my environment to see things quiet down.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.