Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Baja Telecaster Schematic

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by benadrian, Oct 24, 2008.

1. BlueMull

BlueMull TDPRI Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Silver Spring, MD, USA
    I'm a bit late to this party.

Can anyone help me interpret the schematic in the OP? I tend to boggle when trying to trace the signal path in these more elaborate schemes. It's the S-1 switch that throws me: what connects to what in the two positions? Top and middle rows/ middle and bottom rows? Left and middle columns/middle and right columns? Something else?

Or can anyone explain where the problem is with my Baja? Never had a problem with it, but just took it out of the case after not playing it for a while, and suddenly the switching has malfunctioned as follows:

S-1 up: No sound, any position

S-1 down:
    Positions 1 & 2 : Both pickups either out of phase or 1/2 out of phase--both positions sound identical but I can't tell which it is because I've got nothing currently to compare it to
    Positions 3 & 4 : Neck pickup only

2. benadrian

benadrian Tele-Meister

May 29, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    You can think of the switch as three vertical columns.
    Center is the common.
    When the switch is OUT, the center and the bottom lug are connected.
    When the switch is IN, the center and the top lug are connected.

Not sure about the problem. Perhaps a wire came loose or some wire is touching another wire. My first idea would be to go into the cavity with a multimeter and make sure that everything is connected where it should be and nothing is connected where it shouldn't be.

Cheers!

3. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Seems like a lot of effort to save what I considered to be a mostly useless feature on a 2-pickup telecaster. I pulled my assembly out and installed a standard 4-way switch without an S1 using quality parts. That S1 is a cool switch and I can see a lot of options for it on a strat or if you installed a middle pickup, but not for the factory Baja. There has just been too many reports of the switch failing and causing noise for me to consider keeping it.

As for shielding the cavity? Normally, I would say it was always a good idea, but I didn't on my Baja and have no feedback issues of any kind. Maybe with the S1 you should, but be aware that you don't have a lot of clearance in the there with that long S1 switch.

4. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Dec 19, 2011
    Merseyside UK
    The Stealth (S1) switch is really a 4 pole changeover switch arranged like this
    Fender_S1-bottom-view_mod.jpg

Attached Files:

5. BlueMull

BlueMull TDPRI Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Silver Spring, MD, USA
    I'm hoping there's someone out there who either will easily see the answer to my question(s) or perhaps enjoy the process of figuring it out.

I am still baffled by the problem I posted about above. I had never opened the control cavity before one day out of the blue the electronics went haywire. (I puzzled over it for a good while, but then put the guitar in its case and went on with my life, but just decided to take another crack at it.)

I have examined everything in the control cavity visually, and checked for continuity all over the place, and nothing is disconnected or touching anything it shouldn't.

The situation remains the same as I described above. But one additional thing I discovered in trying everything is that when the S-1 switch is OUT, and the guitar produces no sound in any position of the 4-way, the volume pot shows continuity hot-to-ground when full "off" AND continuity when full "on". Means there's a short, output to ground, right?

But when the S-1 is IN, and the guitar does produce sound, although the switch selections are wrong as described above, the volume pot works normally!!

How can something in the switching cause the volume pot to behave this way??

I strongly suspect something went wrong inside the S-1 switch, but for the life of me I can't figure out WHAT incorrect internal connection would lead either to the volume pot weirdness or the particular out-of-whack pickup selections on the 4-way. (For example, how is the neck pickup somehow connected in position 1, which should be bridge pu only? Position 1 is giving the full-out-of-phase sound that should be on position 4. Meanwhile, position 4 is neck pu only.)

I'm strongly inclined to get rid of the whole S-1 business and wire the guitar (it's a really nice one) as a normal Telecaster.

But after all the time I've put in puzzling over this, I'm hoping someone less stupid than me will be able to solve this mystery and explain it to me. I'll never be satisfied till I have the answer!

6. BlueMull

BlueMull TDPRI Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Silver Spring, MD, USA
    Well, I figured it out. Finally!

Somehow, internally in the S-1 switch, the lead from the positive side of the neck pickup (red in the schematic, yellow wire in the guitar) is constantly in contact with the connection to ground at lower left of the S-1 in the diagram, regardless if the S-1 is in or out. This fully explains the specific malfunctioning of the circuit I described above.
    (There is no contact between wires, solder bridge, etc. on the outside of the switch.)

7. benadrian

benadrian Tele-Meister

May 29, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ahh, so bad internals in the mechanical switch. Good sleuthing!

8. BlueMull

BlueMull TDPRI Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Silver Spring, MD, USA
    Thanks for posting the very helpful schematic, by the way!

9. BlueMull

BlueMull TDPRI Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Silver Spring, MD, USA
    UPDATE: The switch is not the problem after all!

I have removed all connections to the switch so I can replace it (I have a new one coming), and with both the positive and negative wires from the neck pickup not connected to anything, the positive wire still has continuity to ground! And checking the switch with all connections removed, it works as it is supposed to.

My bad-switch theory made sense; it WOULD explain the problem. But it took unhooking everything to realize that the unwanted connection to ground was located elsewhere. Aargh!

Turns out the problem was at the pickup: the positive lead was shorting to the pickup cover ground.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.