Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Baja or Cabronita ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by leebman, Feb 6, 2013.

1. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2009
    England
    I'm conflicted which one should I choose ? Argue it out for me so I can fight the voice in my head that says both :)

2. paratus

paratus Tele-Afflicted

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    I have a Baja, and it is staying in the stable. Its just a nice all around guitar that is capable of lots of good sounds, and it has the chunky neck I like.

I like the Idea of a Cabronita, and love how they sound, I have plenty of humbucker guitars, but not 25 1/2" scale....the problem with the Cab is it is a modern "C" neck....not my cup of tea.

3. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Baja = Yea
    Cab = Meh

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Telepi

Telepi Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2009
    Missouri
    You have it backwards.

You don't choose. Teles choose.

But, since you asked, the Baja. But that's only if it chooses you.

6. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I'd have thought they were quite different guitars, soundwise. The position 4 and the S1 position 2 on the Baja will give you some of the meat you like on the Cabronita, plus a bigger pallette of sounds overall. But it's not going to grind and grunt in quite the same way.

The neck is a big issue for some people, including me. I love the big neck on the Baja.

7. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2009
    England
    I played both and the neck shape was almost the same the fender says modern C for the cabronita but in the hand there wasn't alot of difference.

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    And which one did you prefer? :p

9. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2009
    England
    That's the exact problem I couldn't make up my mind, but the cash allows only one.

10. FMA

FMA Friend of Leo's

Apr 29, 2003
    The neck on the Cab has some heft. It's not a modern C-shaped deal, more like what Fender calls a U-shaped and yes, it is very similar to the Baja.
    That said, play both and make your mind that way. Personally, I love my Cab. Great sounding guitar. If I had to make a choice, I'd pick a Cab. But then, I already have an American Standard...

11. Paul Cullen

Paul Cullen TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Chicago, Il
    Im going to say cabronita because of those TV Jones'. It's like a Gretsch but in a tele style body. I almost picked up a Baja when they came out, but ended up getting the Koa which was a short run that came out around the same period. Ended up putting a hipshot B bender with a palm G and low E to D detuner.

12. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

Over a year ago I did a father son build of a Cab. I had that G-R-E-T-S-C-H sound in my head and it needed to be filled.

We played the guitar for about 6 months and then one day I handed it to a much better player. He played it and said "It sounds like a Tele" doh He was right, just a sparkly, gangly one. Hmmm

So we traded the Cab. - for a 2nd Baja.

DW

PS: On the hunt for a country gent

13. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    I have a Baja and it’s for sale. Getting a Cab. They are both fine guitars, which have different sounds. I have a MIM standard, which isn’t as nice as the Baja, but covers the traditional Tele sound well enough. I can always change the pickups if I want to modify the sound. The Baja neck is a bit chunkier than the MIM standard, but I can switch between the two (or my ’50s Strat) without any problems . With the Cab, I will get a simpler guitar with more grit. And it will be lighter, too.

14. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

How many Teles do you have already? Love me La Cab but it'll never be #1..

15. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2011
    charlotte, nc
    I'm currently in a mad love affair with Filtertrons. I have no objectivity.

P

16. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2009
    England
    I don't have any at the moment I have been re-thinking my gear.

17. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    If I may...

Look at it this way. Which one could you get by "without" right away, instead of which one do you want now?
    If you really want the classic tele sound with the chunky neck, then get the Baja. If you can wait for that because you are really turned on by the filtertrons and the sexy look of the Cab, the go for La Cab.
    You can always get the other one at a later date.
    Good luck!

18. RollTide

RollTide Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    Alabama
    I have a Baja and am madly in love with it, as most owners of one are. My next axe is going to be a Cab for sure. I've been drooling over them for a while now. But I would personally not do it the other way around - I'd choose the Baja over the Cab if I could only have one guitar. The versatility of the Baja is unmatched. The Cab is deliciously awesome, but less versatile. But oh how I long for the day I get mine - soon!

19. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    If you've already got a proper Tele, then give the Cab some thought. If you don't have a proper Tele yet... well, you need to take care of that first (Baja).

20. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Think in the long run the Baja is the one you're going to want..

21. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

whoops....not sure how my post ended up here..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.