Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

~~~ Bad Monkey ~~~ The Baddest of them all

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ASC67, Dec 4, 2011.

1. bargoedboy

bargoedboy Tele-Afflicted

Apr 16, 2008
    sherborne
    I got one, but I don`t like it :eek:
    For me I hate the TS type of sound with a tele, But it was free.;)

2. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

Jul 3, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN.
    I just tried the mixer out to my Peavey Bandit 65 and I must say it really does its thing to warm up the bandit even when the pedal is off. Good trick for adding some warmth to a solid state amp.

3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    Yeah this makes it a great multi-tasker, IMO. I was really impressed with this pedal's ("mixer" OUT feature) ability to transform a mic/line input on a PA system into a a decent sounding clean (or overdriven) 'amp channel,' As I stated before, I knew the BM had this feature, but was not expecting as good of a sound, or that it would do this, pedal OFF.

** am seriously thinking about trying this out at one of our smaller quieter "cramped space" country gigs- and bring my amp, as the backup;)!

4. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    The West
    my $35 with free shipping ebay special Bad Monkey came yesterday. For the money this pedal cannot be beat. It's just a nice, somewhat transparent, classic good 'ole overdrive pedal, plain and simple. it does what it's supposed to do. seems like i can get what i want with just just the Bad Monkey and a Vintage RAT that's on my board now. Also tossed in a Big Muff for variety, but i really think that i could get away with just a compressor, Bad monkey, RAT and my Carbon Copy.

5. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2009
    Germany
    +1

6. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2009
    Wales, UK
    Bad Monkey in the hands of a talented player will sound soul-meltingly amazing.
    Me? - I'm not so great, so I need a much better pedal. .. ..... :)

More seriously,
    It was one of the oddest TS types that I tried.
    Almost like, lovely (very lovely in fact) when practising at home, but whatever I did with it when using it 'louder and live-er', I couldn't get it to cut through enough.
    Odd.

Quite some bypass tone suck too. And that is not something I get tend to get overly hung up about.
    Only if it is genuinely rather noticeable. Which, it was with the BM.
    (and also with the Nobels ODR-1)

7. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

Jul 3, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

8. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2009
    Germany
    Nice signature....:lol::lol:

9. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I got my ebay Monkey and have given it a try through two different amps... With two slightly different outcomes.

Is it great? Eh. Is it okay, yeah.

I played it through my '63 Vibroverb Reissue. This amp has strong mid-presence and sounds downright heavenly. Not so much with the Monkey. It muddied up a good bit. I'd like to try it with the band boost the volume a little bit before I call ti quits on this combination though.

Yesterday I gave it good through with my '69 Vibrolux. That was a little bit different experience. It's not earth shattering. I may still prefer some other pedals I have. But it wasn't too shabby. Dirtied it up nicely... 'Did give me a bit of that SRV sound (I'm not sure how I feel about that yet).

It wasn't bad. It wasn't orgasmic. But I guess I am not really a TS type guy. I've had a couple over the years and never really thought they were the cat's PJs! I figure this'll be one of those pedals that either sits on the shelf and I pull out every now and again to goof with, or it'll ride in my gig box in case I loose a tube and can't get it replaced quick enough....

Guess I'll stick with my transparent overdrive for dirt and go get on the Timmy list....

10. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2012
    Land of the Merlion
    used my Bad Monkey (made in u.s.) pedal for roughly 3yrs. 1st 0ne was stolen al0ng with my board on '09 then immediately purchased an0ther one. used it before my main overdrive for loud choruses and it excels in that due to the bass kn0b. i had a ts9 but just sounds so thin...

i just kept my BM for now since its quite difficult to set it up on my very cramped sKb board. but this is truly a fantastic pedal.

11. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2011
    Texas
    I think my previous opinion of the Bad Monkey was due to me not knowing how to use it properly. I was running my amps clean and then using the Monkey for my dirt. I didn't think the pedal was that great when used this way. The pedal doesn't have a lot of juice on its own.

However, when I run the pedal to an already cooking amp I really like it.

12. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    I've owned three Bad Monkey's now due mostly to trades swaps and gear buy outs.
    I just picked up another USA made B/M and I have to say it sounds amazing as a second stage O/D behind my Cmatmods Signa Drive.
    The notes stay clear and seperated, however the sustain and harmonics jump off the fretboard.
    Alone it has a lot of tweekability with the seperate tone knobs.
    I will have to call this one a serious keeper !

13. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

Jul 3, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN.

14. andyjingram

andyjingram TDPRI Member

May 14, 2012
    South England
    The only pedal to top a Bad Monkey for me when it comes to a Tubescreamer-going-on-transparent lead boost is the top-dollar Xotic AC Booster. The only reason I upgraded from the Bad Monkey was because I was mildly aware of the buffer when it was bypassed (and that was less than with any other buffered pedal I've used) and the switch was a bit 'rustic' feeling, with it's open sides and slightly clunky action... And I was willing to drop a good deal of pocket money to find out if the AC was worth it!

Otherwise, I still have plenty of good to say about the Bad Monkey, although I'm not a big fan of the name.

15. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    I think the Hardwire CM-2 is a worth while upgrade from the Bad Monkey...it's like a Bad Monkey Plus...not that much more $$$...better bypass...same EQ, plus a higher gain mode. If you like a Bad Monkey, you'll love the CM-2, IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.