Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

~~~ Bad Monkey ~~~ The Baddest of them all

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ASC67, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    I'm sorry but you are on the Stompbox Forum, basically bitching that there is a Stompbox Forum
    I am speaking for myself in that I know I have learned quite a bit here about dirtboxes, which do what etc., have also shared my knowledge, and basically just enjoy the conversation.

I happen to think that an overdrive/distortion pedal (and having various different ones) is an integral tool for me as I want breakup, but don't ever crank my amps. So I put my pedal(s) on equal par with my guitar and amp...

Sharing sound clips is fine, but the truth is this stuff is really personal (one's tone), so even if you might love the sound of your pedal (perhaps great for the music you play), I may hate it...

If you love a Bad Monkey -enjoy the Monkey!

2. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    It seems like the Bad Monkey has always been on my board, and I've had two of them, before. One is a must!

3. Turtletwang

Turtletwang Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2006
    New York City
    Never mind the monkey, get yourself a Maxon OD808! ;)

4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Why?

:D

5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Which once again like the TS9 variants lacks a seperate bass and treble. I find it difficult to find a happy place on a single tone knob drive pedal.

The Bad Monkey is a fine serviceable, gigable pedal for a lot less investment that pedals that are not as versatile. I have a Catalinbread Formula No. 5 and a Ibanez TS9 (an plder one) and I get closer to the sound I am looking for out of the Bad Monkey.

6. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

Jul 3, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN.
    ^
    this

7. Turtletwang

Turtletwang Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2006
    New York City
    I tried the BM but couldn't get the sound I wanted, even with the separate treble and bass tone controls.

8. songofthewind

songofthewind Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2008
    UK
    Well, I've said it before 'n' I'll say it again: The Bad Monkey is great with the two separate tone controls. AND you can get rid of the nasty honk by swapping out the C5 cap for a cheap nasty ceramic 102. This gives the tone controls even more usable range. Solder carefully, kids.

9. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2007
    Hamilton, Canada
    ive avoided tube screamers and the like pretty much forever.
    but i came across a usa made bad monkey for $20, and grabbed it.
    never use it, but if i ever need something tube screamer-ish, i have it-
    and with seperate treble/bass knobs.
    thats the beauty of it- so affordable yet nice that even guys who dont like tube screamers will buy one.

10. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2011
    Texas
    What amps do you guys use with your Bad Monkeys? I was just tinkering with my Bad Monkey, playing through the Tweed Deluxe model on my Valvetronix modeling amp and the tone was really nice. I know the modeling amp's tweed deluxe isn't the real thing, but I'm assuming it does a reasonable job of that amp's tone. This got me thinking that perhaps the Bad Monkey is a better fit for a Fender tube amp as opposed to a Vox. Can anyone comment on this?

11. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I would think most EL-84 based amps would get along better with more transparent sounding pedals w/o highlighted mids such as an OCD, Tim, SD-9, etc.. But with the BM having an extra tone control that could be dialed out. At least I would think so? Thus making it usable w/a Vox.

Yesterday we ran an 808 through my buddy's VHT Super 30 (EL-84). Sounded like poop. The last thing that amp needed was more mids pushed out in the front.

12. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I play a Tele I made with 3 P90's through a 74 SFPR with a 12" Cannabis Rex. We play a lot of gigs that are not high volume so I need some drive without big volume. Where most TS variants fall down for me is at lower volume, if I had a dimed Vibroverb it would be different.

13. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    I agree...but it is twice the price new.

14. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    I liked my BM until I got a Garagetone Drivetrain-it has the seperate bass and treble knobs and has more gain on tap. And it has a good buffer.

15. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I had a borrowed Bad Monkey, then bought a CM-2 (the Badder Monkey) and a Drivetrain... it's funny (and all too informative) how similar and different they can be. The CM-2 can be dialed in to sound just like a BM, but then there's lots more EQ to play with, plus a higher-gain switch to tempt you further. The Drivetrain has a more pronounced 'mid-hump' to it, which sounds great into the Fender models on my Vox VT amp, but oddly, not so great into my ancient Standel tube amp (with the 15" speaker)... that one likes the CM-2 better.

I've also got an SD-1 in the guitar closet I don't intend to part with, in spite of all the competition.

So go figger. It all depends on your guitar, amp and ears. At some point you have to quit fussing with it all and just play.

16. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2011
    South Florida
    YES!!! And that's exactly what I have been pushing myself to do lately.

To be honest, I'm not saying I will never buy another pedal. But I know 100% that I have what I need on my board right now to make music, play/sound good, get up in front of people and entertain them.

17. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    The Bad Monkey is my main pedal, next to the TU-2 tuner. I have a Tube Screamer TS7 as well, but I don't really use it.
    I use it with a Kustom 150w Tuck 'n' Roll.

18. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    Note to Bad Monkey Users:

I just borrowed my buddy's Bad Monkey (which I bought for him as a B-Day present a few years ago), as I was curious about it's possible use (for me) with the BM's 2nd "Mixer" OUTPUT as a "backup amp" (thru PA, should I have an amp go out) and discovered the following today using my Tele >Bad Monkey> PA system (I just set up the mixer/head and one spkr)

The buffer circuitry/and cabinet emulation on the BM actually do "their thing" even with the pedal OFF (and you are using the "Mixer" OUT jack on the Monkey)- this is great news as it gives you a decent clean guitar amp tone (no "going direct tone")- I just was not expecting this with the pedal OFF- I just assumed that the BM would have to be ON therefore I'd be getting some distortion (even at low Drive settings...), but know you can basically get a good clean and dirty amp sound into a PA or Powered Monitor if you needed with a Bad Monkey! Get one stick it in your accessory bag

edit: this is perhaps more useful to those of us that play a lot of clean-toned/moderate dirt styles, and quiter volume gigs...

19. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    wait, wut?

another great cheap tube screamer is a BBE Green Screamer. It doesnt have seperate treble/bass but I think it has more clarity than a BM (when strumming chords)

But for me the Garagetone is staying...the only bad thing about it is they use washers on the opening to get to the battery.

20. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Still have one...but ..hard to dial out dirt when necessary...not bad for use
    as your 2nd od. (boost-od-lead) setup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.