Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

~~~ Bad Monkey ~~~ The Baddest of them all

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ASC67, Dec 4, 2011.

1. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

Jul 3, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN.
    I've gone through a few dirt and OD pedal and just keep coming back to the Bad Monkey.

There is something about the BM that just rocks !!!!

2. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

Dec 27, 2004
    North Hollywood
    I loved mine until I got a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 tube overdrive. The BM is great but the CM-2 is a tad better

3. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

I have a BM and and Ibanez TS7. I have to admit whilst the sound is VERY similar...the TS7 has the edge.....just seems to have a slight bit of extra dimension or something to the it.

I keep coming back to the bad monkey whenever a good review comes up thinking I must be wrong (ibanez being a budget pedal etc)but the TS7 defintely has a slight edge...to me and with my gear anyway.

BUT the general sentiment about the BM or that tone (tube screamer) I agree whole heartedly. I would be lost without it....

4. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2008
    SoCal
    So true! I was just thinking that the other day when the "what pedals have been on your board the longest" thread came up. I didn't want to get bashed for being cheap or tone deaf so didn't post. I also have a CM-2, but I like the bass better in the Bad Monkey. I can't count how many higher end pedals of mine ended up going on Ebay. This one will never go to Ebay (partly because it doesn't have any resale value).:D

5. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

Dec 27, 2004
    North Hollywood
    :D

6. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2010
    Marietta,GA
    I talked to the rep of Digitech once and he told me the Hardwire OD was the Bad Monkey with a second stage of gain.

7. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I have a BM, a Dan OD, a TS-10, TS-9 and several others, but I always come back to the TS-9. It is a little more subtle, and it has excellent tonal control.
    Next pedal buy will be the Wampler Black 65.

8. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I have a Bad Monkey and a Catalinbread Formula No.5 net to each other on my pedal board and the Monkey gets used 90% of the time (that I use a dirt pedal).

9. coldwar1977

coldwar1977 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2011
    Belgium
    Yes ! ! !

I LOVE my Bad Monkey! I've tried dozens of other TS-type pedals (some very nice sounding ones, eG. Maxon OD808), but the Monkey still is my favourite. And in its price range it simply can't be beat!!!

I liked the Hardwire CM-2 a lot as well, but I didn't keep it because I found the sonic differences with the BM were too subtle to justify having them both.

edit:
    Some time ago I've even made a little Bad Monkey fanpage on Facebook :D :

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Digitech-BAD-MONKEY-overdrive/101724829933864?sk=info

Feel free to join Steve! :p

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

10. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    The West
    after all of this Bad Monkey talk i picked one up. $35 on ebay with free shipping. not a bad deal.

11. coldwar1977

coldwar1977 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2011
    Belgium
    Good deal indeed. I hope you'll like it!

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Gotta' try one.
    I have never bonded with and Digitech stuff.
    We'll see.

13. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I had tried the one that floated around the TDPRI and liked it. Kept an eye out on the 'bay for a while... but let it drop. My bandmate has a TS on his board and I decided to go grab one... found one in a deal with a LPB-1 for 40 bucks shipped... looking forward to putting them both through their paces.

14. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    Its a good one. Not my favorite, but, I have a LOT of dirt pedals. Sounds good with Peavey Classic 30, not as good with Blues Junior.

15. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    In transit
    That's a great couple of pedals for $40. I got an LPB-1 recently and it was the best $25 I've spent on gear in a long time.

16. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    Love my Bad Monkey...especially the separate bass and treble BUT my favorite is the lowly Boss OS-2...and no one else seems to like it.

17. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

Jul 3, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN.
    Cooked this up in Paint

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

18. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2011
    Texas
    I got the BM but haven't bonded with it. It feels like I lose some juice thru my AC15. Maybe I need to try it again.

19. Anchoret

Anchoret Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2004
    California
    Likewise.

But still...the inescapable point with all this dirtbox tail-chasing is that the dirtbox is only a fraction of the total sound and its magickal awesumnesss (or not) just as much a matter of your amp's tone stack and speaker response as it is of the stomp, never mind the instrument.

Sometimes I think that everyone who goes on about dirtboxes should have to post an .MP3 somewhere that exemplifies his own personal holy grail dirtbox sound so at least the rest of us would be able to tell what on earth the guy's shooting for and how he defines magickal dirtbox awesumnessss. :rolleyes:

I mean, you need some frame of reference. Otherwise this is just meaningless, content-free fanboy drivel.

In the past when I've seen people do this on forums I usually think, "wow, that's a nasty noise I never want to hear again under any circumstances for the rest of my natural life, so I can blow off Jethro's dirtbox ravings from now on."

Less often, I think the guy's on the right track and has a professionally competent ear.

It'd sure simplify things and save time. ;)

20. coldwar1977

coldwar1977 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2011
    Belgium
    It's very simple though.

Many people love their Bad Monkey because they like Tubescreamers, and the BM is a pretty good version of that sound. With some extra tweaking possibilities which the original tubescreamers didn't have. And you can get it for a ridiculously cheap price. If that weren't enough already, this pedal has been given the coolest name of all pedals: the BAD MONKEY. Got it? :twisted:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.