Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bad Grammar That Becomes Mainstream!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TC6969, Nov 15, 2014.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

The beauty of this blot of pith is that it exemplifies the conversation...

'evolution' is gotten via mutation.

BUT, because even that concept is so startling to us, we have mitigated the meaning of evolution to be subtle, slow, gradual and with forethought...

it means two opposing things... so, either your post was one of complete genius or a happy accident.

2. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

Aug 25, 2013
    England
    I knew what I meant.

But I'm no Einstein. Or Darwin. ;)

3. getbent

okay, but now, I think you are pretty awesome...

you now have a member of your fan club....

4. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

Aug 25, 2013
    England
    Oh stop it. I'm blushing! :oops:

5. fasteddie455

fasteddie455 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2003
    Arlington, Texas
    Yes, I vehemently disagreee.

I sat down at lunch today to write rebuttals to you, getbent, and MatthewDickin. As I wrote, I realized that I can't keep up. I loose track of my points because 4 or 5 more are right behind and I can't type fast enough to get them all out. I could take the time to respond separately, but I no longer have the desire to invest that much time. I have a new guitar video that has sat on the bookshelf waiting for me while I participate in this thread. I will have more fun playing my Tele and get more out of that video than the time I have spent arguing in this thread. I rue the day that I ever posted in this thread. I apologize to Jupiter, getbent, and MatthewDicken (and anyone else ) if I offended you with anything that I said.(That is said honestly and with no sarcasm.) I meant no harm. I am not trying to squelch creativity or stamp out thoughts. I wish my beliefs did not make you feel that way. I wish y'all well and maybe next time we talk, it will be over a topic we can agree on.

Sincerely,
    fasteddie455

6. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    Shood I reed this hole thred from teh start?

7. getbent

no offense to me at all fasteddie455... it is just a discussion, a conversation...

good luck on the tape, I agree that is a way better way to spend time! I'm usually on only when I am waiting for something else to start, end or finish.. so, yeah, go DO!

enjoy your day amigo! I'll leave you with this ee cummings poem...

since feeling is first

since feeling is first
    who pays any attention
    to the syntax of things
    will never wholly kiss you;

wholly to be a fool
    while Spring is in the world

my blood approves,
    and kisses are better fate
    than wisdom
    lady i swear by all flowers. Don't cry
    —the best gesture of my brain is less than
    your eyelids' flutter which says

we are for each other: then
    laugh, leaning back in my arms
    for life's not a paragraph

And death i think is no parenthesis

8. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Dec 20, 2011
    Australia
    Have we had some Weird Al in this thread yet?

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Fair enough. No offense taken. I'm sorry you regret ringing in on this; it's all in good fun, after all. We're just debating ideas. Just tends to be a kinda messy process in the Bad Dog. ;)

10. The Bone

The Bone Friend of Leo's

Apr 11, 2003
    Sacratomato
    Aren't proper names supposed to be capitalized?

11. MatthewDickin

MatthewDickin Tele-Afflicted

Hey, no offence taken at all and, likewise, apologies if anything was said that offended you. We can all agree to disagree and have fun doing it...

One thing I would say, that makes me pretty proud to be part of this community...this thread is, in microcosm, the debate that has been going on between academics for years. Everyone has argued their point passionately without mudslinging (which can't be said for the larger debate). Not bad fer a bunch of cargo-pant-wearing Telenuts, eh? :)

12. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    It is desirable from an academic point of view that a purely descriptive approach to linguistics should exist. But by definition its position ought to be exactly that - an impartial, dispassionate account of observed and recorded variation in vocabulary and usage. Expressions of opinion and value-judgments such as "which is as it should be" sound pretty damn prescriptive to me.

Anyway, while reading comments on a book review I was amused by this little gem from a non-native English-speaker:

13. getbent

It would serve you to know more about the poet!

It will also enhance your enjoyment of the poem, why I chose it and how much fun the whole conversation is....

Thought experiment... I knew a guy named John. He was a very ordinary man, a middle school science teacher. To look at him he was very ordinary appearing and very conventional in everything that he did. He was a very nice man and a good teacher, but not someone of note nor someone who attracted a lot of attention... In every way, he was just a regular, ordinary, non noticeable type person.

One day, he contacted me at my office requesting help with a name change. This was not my role at my work, but I was responsible for the people who were responsible and it was early in the morning and I have great respect for this person as a dedicated and good employee.

I offered to complete the form for him and as we started to complete it... I recognized he wanted a very small change... he wanted to be called Jhon.

This is years ago (think, like, mid 90's) It forever changed this person's arc in the community, at his school and the perception people had of him.

Ponder that!

14. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Ynot?

15. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Oh, I thought The Bone was making a pretty good joke....

16. The Bone

The Bone Friend of Leo's

Apr 11, 2003
    Sacratomato
    I sort of was. At least trying to. Then I researched ee cummings and found out that he actually preferred to have his name properly capitalized and it was not his idea to not capitalize it in the first place. So I think my joke sort of fell flat.

17. MatthewDickin

I thought this TED talk was really interesting...

18. MatthewDickin

And this one...

I could watch this stuff all day long!

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I have supervisors /managers/ various "superiors" who misuse the English language so horribly that I am embarrassed for them. Verbally and via written communication (emails). Where do they find these people??

Sometimes it's to the point that they are unclear; when that happens I will balk. I will tell them that they need to clarify, and that I am not willing to hazard a guess at exactly what their meaning is.

20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Jun 27, 2012
    Toronto
    Some people combine expressions to make new ones.

"Rocket surgery" for instance.

On a msg board, I saw a guy who wanted to say "fast-forward" but wrote "flash forward".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.