Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Backup amp in a pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Vespa_One, Dec 4, 2018.

1. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    The InterBlock is a step up from the MicroBlock. But at $200 that's twice as much as the VHT Special 6 I gigged with last week. :cool: For a rank amateur like me, that's getting expensive for something I hope to never need to use. If I had even one or two paid gigs a month then that might be be worth the money. Obviously, each person makes their own decisions on what they need, can and want to spend, but some of these small pedal board amps are running well into main amp territory price-wise.

Vespa_One likes this.
  2. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    How did you find a VHT Special 6 for $100? That's quite a deal!

*shrug*

It's a 45 watt amp with EQ, voicing, direct out, and effects loop the size of a pedal for $200.

I am of two minds about it. A $40 amp sim DI box like the Joyo American Sound definitely does the trick for a cheap backup into the PA. I have one. But I can't think of too many suitable backup amplifiers for a gig for $200 or less, that you can just plug right into a cabinet and go. A crate Powerblock maybe? The EHX 44 Magnum?

I can definitely see what you're saying though that at a certain cost point, something goes from "in case of emergency break glass" to "why did I pay so much for this thing I never use?"

Vespa_One likes this.
  3. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Throwing in my VHT as comparison probably wasn't fair; I got the head on eBay from a dealer who had used it as a floor demo so it came with the full factory warranty. Plus I had to pay shipping. And the VHT can't do the same things as my Super Reverb (in a 1x12 cab) which is where a little backup amp like these Quilters and others would be useful.

"Dear Santa.......I've been a very good boy this year........"

Vespa_One likes this.
  4. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I too keep an American Sound in the gig bag, with a 1/4" to XLR adapter plug. If I gigged weekly, which I dont, I'd buy s Flyrig

Vespa_One likes this.
  5. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    For what it’s worth my cousin has been gigging using a joyo straight into the PA. He plays clean.

Vespa_One likes this.
  6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I had one of those Crate Powerblocks a few years back. Things are truly getting small these days. The EHX 44 Magnum or the Ethos power amp are the same price ($195). The EHX had absolutely no headroom but is small enough to mount anywhere, even on your board. The Ethos power amps has an honest 30 watts with true "Deluxe" output and headroom but is about the size of, say, a Memoryman or something. There is a mini that is much smaller than mine... I have one mounted in each of my 1x12 cabs... super small rig. You put the right preamp in front of these and your current amp WILL BE your backup...
    IMG_3389.JPG

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    SolidSteak and Vespa_One like this.
  7. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Late to the party, but I have a Tech 21 Blonde in my bag for this.

Vespa_One likes this.
  8. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    US
    Several options to choose from.
    Thanks everyone for all the great info and suggestions!

9. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    Not quite a compact pedal, but Traynor Quarterhorse is pretty cool. 25W, two channels, switchable reverb, trem, tape delay. Everything they make is bulletproof.

Vespa_One likes this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Yes, it is pretty versatile. I think it works best as a preamp since it is only 5w.

I used it recently going direct into a mixer on this pedal demo: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/npd-cuvave-digital-reverb-demo.900992/

11. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    By the way, Tech 21 has discontinued its Character Series, so these are harder to find.

For a direct solution, I'd recommend either a Tech 21 Character pedal (analog) or the Zoom MS-50g (digital).

For a backup amplifier, I'd recommend the Vox MV50 Clean. It's small and sounds fantastic.

Vespa_One likes this.
  12. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    Ok thanks, i like the sound you've got in the demo actually, very good clean, i like how you use the slide as well.

13. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    Re Joyo. +1 ".. I wouldn’t trust it..to work when I needed it to."

My live-at-the-gig experience with Joyo build quality is that I can't rely on their product. I don't use on my pedal board and wouldn't use as a backup.

I did have a revelation recently based on bringing a Gretsch semi-hollow to a 4-hour café gig but forgot to bring a tube amp. Running a setup that I normally use for acoustic-electric guitars and a wired-for-sound banjo - all sporting humbuckers BTW, I ran the Gretsch >> Boss AB-2 >> Fishman Analog Preamp/DI/EQ/Tuner/Compressor >> MXR M77 OD >> Lotus Pedal Trem >> Fishman SA-220 sound system. The sound quality was really nice, crisp, expressed the pickups well, handled the pedals great. I have a similar gig happening this weekend and will again forget the tube amp, but this time on purpose.

Vespa_One likes this.
  14. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    That's another one I want to try. Reverb AND trem built in sounds nice.

Looks like it's discontinued though :(

15. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    Ahh. They're still pretty available up here - the main music store chain Long and McQuade and Traynor are owned by the same umbrella company... every store in my province has at least one right now... on for $129CAD +13%GST... that's a bargain no matter what way you look at it.
    Too bad they're tough to find elsewhere!

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I've had mine since 2002 and it's been a gig saver.

63telemaster likes this.
  17. johnDH

johnDH TDPRI Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Wilton NSW
    I still have a Crate Powerblock, as a spare guitar amp, and a spare for anything else that breaks. Its a 150W Class D lunchbox with surprising versatility and decent tone (can be total clean power or with guitar preamp features). Over the the years, its been guitar amp, bass amp, vocal PA and stage foldback amp.

Vespa_One likes this.
  18. MikeG74

MikeG74 TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Indiana
    I just picked up this Quilter amp to use for practice / backup. I mounted it to a pedaltrain nano with the power supply underneath and put a direct box on there with it. Quick and easy to hook up at the show if needed. I can direct it out to the PA or run a cabinet or both. I used it at the last gig and it worked great. The sound man suggested I mic the cab AND run the line and he can mix the two channels... I might try that next time. Its amazing how loud it is for the size.

Attached Files:

Vespa_One likes this.
  19. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2016
    Leicestershire UK
    I've used a Joyo AS as an emergency backup, and it does the job. You can't really expect a pedal to react like an amp, and it doesn't. But I was very grateful that I had it. Saved the day when my usual amp went down. It does have other uses though - I often use it as a recording tool straight into the desk. Convincing Fender tones galore. I also have a separate one on my main pedalboard for it's overdrive. I play about with other pedals, and some are big names, but I always come back to the Joyo for OD duties. I'm not worried about reliability. I've had one for 3 years with no problems. And that is longer than some US pedals.

Vespa_One likes this.
  20. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2010
    magnolia, ms
    You beat me to it! I have the Purple Wind for this reason. Great little head!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.