Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Backup amp in a pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Vespa_One, Dec 4, 2018.

1. danoli

danoli NEW MEMBER!

Dec 1, 2018
    Amsterdam
    I love my Palmer pocket amp MK-II. Cheap(ish), reliable (although I am on my second one after blowing the first one out) and most importantly: XLR output. Also a nice practice amp when dialing in a tube amp next to a sleeping baby is a little to much :D...

troy2003 and Vespa_One like this.
  2. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    Well, you could've mentioned that in the opening post, it would have made things a lot easier.
    A speaker for a guitar cab has a different frequency-range compared to PA, but it should be of minor problem adjusting a clean tone with the EQ-section of a mixing desk for making it more amp-like.

My beef with all direct-to-PA-solutions is the overdrive tones.
    They arew harsh and clinical without a good cab simulation or heavy EQ-tweaking.
    Usually way too much treble and high mids.
    Cab-simulations or the mentioned "amp-in-a-box"-pedals all mimic the sound of a guitar speaker with its different frequeny-range, i.e. more mids in a certain range, high-cuts etc.
    Cleansound is a fairly easy game.
    That is, if you really mean clean - very often people on youtube videos go like "this is my cleantone" and it's already a fair amount of slight breakup/overdrive.

Rob77 and Vespa_One like this.
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    I've found the secret to it is getting the volume and gain knobs synced up where you want them. If you put the gain down low and volume up you get a lot of clean headroom. Kick the gain up to over 75%, it gets dirty. I usually run it at between 40% to 60% with and overdrive or fuzz.

I like how the Mojo Diamond does clean to semi-clean tones and works with most overdrives better than the Sansamp. However, I like the Sansamp for more driven tones and the Sansamp is much better at Mashall-ish tones than the Hotone Purple Wind.

I've gotten the best performance when I want a higher volume to use the headphone out on the Mojo Diamond into a DI box then into either a mixer or the clean channel on my Peavey Bandit.

4. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I often go direct... with a Helix. My case that holds my guitar stands and power extensions also holds an HD500 as a backup.

When I use an amp, my pedal board has a ZOOM G3 at the end of the chain to handle some delays and modulation. If my amp ever fails, I have the same patches written into the G3 that include amp sims. I was only forced into using it once... but I have chosen to use it on several occasions.

RyCo1983 and Vespa_One like this.
  5. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    US
    Clean clean. The cleanest tone I can get without being completely sterile. Like gain at 2
    Thanks for the info!

6. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Apr 28, 2009
    Minnesota
    I blew an output tube and grid resistor on a Twin Reverb one night several years ago at the middle of a gig. The amp went down. I was without an amp or a backup until I remembered I had a Digitech RP155 in one of my cases that I carry. I already had it pre-programmed for TR simulation, but had never used it as an emergency backup amp. Kinda like a spare tire that never gets used. Well, I brought it out, plugged it into the console and set it for "mixer use", plugged my guitar into it and quickly set eq settings on the console for this device. No, it didn't sound and feel exactly like my real TR, but it definitely got me thru the gig, and pretty shamelessly at that. The crowd apparently couldn't tell the difference, as no-one said a word about it.

BB and Vespa_One like this.
  7. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2012
    Luçon _ France
    I always have my Sans Amp GT 2 on my pedal board. I bought this pedal may be 20 years ago (?), so as far as reliability is concerned... I mostly use it for the different sounds under my foot, but, just in case, it could be usefull if my amp fails me... It can be tricky to dial though... and soundwise, the PA you plug into (and the other instruments plugged into it, and the overall sound in the speakers), is an element in the sound chain... and you might not like the sound result...

chemobrain and Vespa_One like this.
  8. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    london
    Of the things I actually own and are capable of going direct to PA I would use in order of preference
    Helix
    HX Stomp
    American Sound
    Tech21 Blonde deluxe

Vespa_One and RyCo1983 like this.
  9. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I don't always carry a backup, but when I do: Flyrig 5.

chemobrain, Vespa_One and RyCo1983 like this.
  10. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    Thanks a lot, i'm really curious about the Mojo Diamond, also because i can plug it into the mixer and avoid to use the mic. in front of the amp, it can be used as a preamp and as a power amp right ? i think i've read it somewhere.....

11. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Hamburg, Germany
    How did you manage to blow it it out, if I may ask? :)

12. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2015
    Arkansas
    That's what I want; a clean power amp, small class D, -emphasis on CLEAN- to run my board into in an emergency.

13. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    I need an ampless rig for some fly gigs next year. I picked up a Tech21 Blonde, bought some mini dirt pedals, a mini volume pedal, and a mini delay and reverb. I have been using this rig locally at shows where I would get my own monitor run by the house sound pro, just like I will encounter next spring. I set the Blonde clean in an attempt to resemble a Fender blackface/brown face tone.

The clean sound I get through the monitor is less than ideal. I find it hard to get the snappy, chimey sound I can get from a real amp. However, I have been very pleased by the dirty sounds. Warm, chewy and harmonically rich, without a trace of fizz. These are my results from three separate gigs at three completely different venues.

At local gigs where I need to use my amp, I am using all of the same pedals minus the Blonde. My clean sounds are better to my ear, but the dirt sounds are comparable to my results going direct. It makes me wonder if I will have better results with a Liverpool or California pedal as my amp replacement.

By the way, in each case the venue needed to provide me a direct box to interface the Blonde with the system. This means I probably should pick one up for myself.

OTOH, I may just save my pennies and get an Atomic Amplifire to replace the Blonde. I suspect I will have much better sound, plus the built-in XLR out.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Vespa_One likes this.
  14. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2016
    Oshkosh, B'gosh
    At all jobs I use a Boss ME-80 multi-effect pedal between my guitar and my amp (Tech 21 Trademark 60). The ME-80 has a preamp section that I never use when I run into my amp, but it comes in real handy when I need to go directly to the PA. I set the preamp to its "Tweed" setting, plug a dummy plug into the headphone jack to enable the speaker cabinet emulation, and then straight to the mixer. It works pretty well for clean to slightly overdriven sounds. I've never used it for more distorted tones.

mfguitar, RyCo1983 and Vespa_One like this.
  15. danoli

danoli NEW MEMBER!

Dec 1, 2018
    Amsterdam
    Faulty power supply (I think.. ;))

16. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Hamburg, Germany
    @ 18v ? :)

17. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    I have the same amp but only play at home. How is it as a gig amp?

18. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I just wing it and, knock on wood, have never lost an amp in the middle of a gig. But since I am used to using plain old Fender BF/SF style amps I would be more likely to get a small power amp like the Quilter MicroBlock (although there are plenty other ones out there these days).

My reason for that is because I don't normally play through an amp/speaker emulator direct to the PA. Therefore, I think I would have a much easier time getting an acceptable sound by using my own speaker. If a tube or transformer or something else blows (although I have always carried spare tubes to gigs) I'd just plug in the small power amp and not need to make any PA changes to the house or monitor mix.

Now if you are used to running direct then that wouldn't be an issue and a Joyo, Tech21, JD20 or others would do the trick. I've used my Joyo AC-Tone for two or three songs at open mics and it sounds good. But I know I would not be satisfied if I had to use it for 90 minutes after my amp blew. I'm not knocking DI, but I think it's something you have to practice with and play with settings to get it to sound good and that's not something I have time to do just for an emergency back up.

SolidSteak and Vespa_One like this.
  19. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Or the Quilter InterBlock:

It has a regular Bass/Mid/Treble EQ section, unlike the Microblock.

I had a MicroBlock - it was good, but it is not a 1-to-1 substitute for a Fender amp, or any "soundalike" kind of thing... it is it's OWN sound, the Quilter sound :D.

I agree, those little pedal-sized amps are great backups if you play a combo like some Fenders that have speakers you can disconnect.

I actually play a Quilter head through a cab though, so I guess my backup "amp" would have to be my other Quilter head :D

Vespa_One likes this.
  20. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    thanks for reading my mind.... I was wondering about those dang things.

RyCo1983 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.