Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Backup amp in a pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Vespa_One, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    US
    Howdy folks,

I’m looking for an emergency solution in case my amp breaks.

I hear about the Joyo American Sound, do you simply put this pedal at the end of the chain and plug in to the PA? Do you need a DI BOX also??

Any input on a small, preferably inexpensive solution to emergency amp failure would be appreciated. Trying to avoid back up amp to minimize load in trips or risk of being stolen if left in vehicle.

Thanks for any input!

2. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Apr 25, 2011
    Turdcaster, WA
    JD10 Session Master and be done.

3. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    UK
    Haha I was just going to say that :)

Been using these for 25 years for studio and live work. Never bettered!

4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    yes AS will do it.
    No di needed.

Vespa_One likes this.
  5. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    Yup.

Vespa_One likes this.
  6. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    I can't comment on the American, but I have the Harley Benton AC Tone (Joyo with a different brand name for Germany), which is supposed to be a Vox AC 30 in a pedal.
    I also have the Tech21 Blonde - which is the original to the Joyo American.
    I also have The Harley Benton Mini Stomp Clean Glass (= Fender'ish) and Golden Face (= Marshall'ish), which are also designed to go direct to mixing desk.
    And last, but not least, I have a Palmer Pocketamp Mark II, which is modelled after another clever Tech21 pedal.
    I tried all of them direct to mixing desks - you don't need an extra di-box.

Anyway, they all work and offer a useable sound direct to mixing desk.
    It is OF COURSE NOT the sound you'll get from an amp.
    It does not have the dynamic range nor the subtleties in the tone.
    Maybe the audience will not spot the difference, but unless you're completely relying on in-ear-monitoring, you will spot the difference on stage.

I have the AC Tone as a usual overdrive in front of an amp on a small "quick&dirty"-board for jams.
    The Mini Stomps are for some weird bass-sounds.

The Tech21 or the Palmer Pocketamp are in our "odds & sods"-box for gigs in case of emergency.
    But you can bet, I sure hope my amp will never fail me.

Vespa_One likes this.
  7. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    The American Sound is what I have for emergency. It sounds very good, though I've never HAD to use it. For $40, it may be worth it to you just to see. The JD10 Session Master will cost you more - there is one on Reverb presently for $228 + change. Oh, and $35 more for shipping.

Vespa_One likes this.
  8. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2013
    Seattle
    DV Mark Micro 50 II is my solution; I've been gigging with a Princeton Reverb, and if it ever had a problem I can plug the PR's speaker directly into this. I was going to get a Quilter Tone Block, but this has built-in reverb and sounds great. It doesn't have an XLR direct-out, but the phones output does sound very good through a PA in case the PR is stolen or has a speaker problem.

Vespa_One likes this.
  9. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2012
    Bucharest
    Magnum 44 great amp in pedal form.
    If in need for special/dedicated sounds, then try Boss FBM-1, Vox MV50 AC or Rock version, Zoom G2NU this one with many amps inside. Even Boss Micro BR might go for...
    Have fun & different amps!

Vespa_One likes this.
  10. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Paul in Colorado and Vespa_One like this.
  11. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    I've done that, but ran the Pedal into a DI and then into the stagebox. If the mixer has jack inputs you won't need the DI – but most stageboxes have only XLR connections so you'll need a DI/adapter/xlr to jack cable to plug in. If you go to the mixer directly just use an instrument cable and be done. It sounds pretty good and if you want a little reverb – most mixers have it anyway.
    Good monitoring is crucial.

Vespa_One likes this.
  12. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    Switzerland
    It seems these pedals, sometimes called "amp in a box" pedals, are getting a lot of attention. I only possess the joyo american sound. I've never tried it in a PA but I noticed that it works better in a "neutral sounding" amp than in an amp with its own "personality". So I guess that it would work quite well with a PA but I still have to try.

Nonetheless I agree with what has been said about the response and dynamic range: it is still not sounding and behaving as an amp.

Other pedals might be more similar to amps:

Quilter blocks
    Vox MVs
    Milkman the amp
    DV Mark small heads
    Etc...

Vespa_One likes this.
  13. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    How about a backup amp NOT in a pedal? Vox MV50, choose your flavor. I have the “Rock” (Marshall) model and love it.

Vespa_One and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  14. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    My buddy Hammerhead has a Quilter. He likes it so much, he sometimes leaves his amp at home. Works great, in the band mix, for his guitar and steel playing.

Vespa_One likes this.
  15. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    Hotone - Reverb - EQ for boost.

[​IMG]

arnie5150, Vespa_One and bgmacaw like this.
  16. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
  17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    I use a Tech21 SansAmp GT2 directly into the clean channel on a Peavey Bandit most of the time. This has worked well. I have done direct into a PA with it and it isn't quite as good. I recently got a Monoprice DI box and that really helped it. I've also used a Hotone Mojo Diamond in a similar configuration and had about the same results.

Vespa_One likes this.
  18. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    I use a Tech 21 Flyrig...the RK5
    It's a backup for the Line 6 Helix.

Already going ampless!

19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Joyo AC Tone, $40. I keep one with me in case of an amp malfunction, and had to use it once.

Chicago Matt and Vespa_One like this.
  20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Joyo American stays in my gig case.

Chicago Matt and Vespa_One like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.