Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Backlund guitars.

Discussion in 'Vendor Forum' started by John Backlund, Dec 20, 2017.

1. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    After doing a photoshop mockup or three, I seriously doubt a baby grand bridge is gonna fit. To be honest, it didn't even look all that good on the Marz.

2. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    The Marz never had a Hipshot bridge on it, unless you're referring to your own photoshopped images.

3. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    Kasim Sulton playing an Eastwood 'Backlund' model 400 on the current Utopia reunion tour with Todd Rundgren...
    Kaseem Sultan.jpg
    Todd Rundgren playing one of two Eastwood 'Backlund' model 100's he's using on the current Utopia reunion tour...
    Todd Rundgren-3.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018

4. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    The Backlund model 400LH, from Eastwood Guitars...
    FB_IMG_1524528727450.jpg

5. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

I hope this is a considerably better financial deal for you John. Great, great designs in a market/industry usually low on originality. You certainly deserve it.

Fantastic to see them getting noticed and used by name players. Look forward to seeing that ever increasing circle!

Am very tempted on the Red/Cream Rocker Box with Bigsby but Freight, Exchange rate etc. sadly make it a step too far for me currently.

John Backlund likes this.

6. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2011
    SpanaGrahm, WA

7. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    Thank you!

It might be a little too far 'out there' to be worth producing, but you never know about these things. Of course, I'd very much like to see it offered.

8. omni43

omni43 TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Virginia
    2blue2 likes this.

9. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2004

Buying?

You should at least get a few for free.

Also wanted to mention that Bill Nelson is also playing one these days.

That is quite an endorsement.

10. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    Part of my agreement with Eastwood is that I will receive one gratis example of every guitar model of my original design that they build and market. They are not, however, obligated to provide me with every color or component variation offered with that model, and I would not expect them to. If I want, or need, an additional example of a guitar other than the one I am entitled to, I personally buy them from Eastwood. I am able to purchase them at a reduced cost, however.

Bill Nelson currently has a 'Backlund' model 100, among the dozens of other guitars he owns. He was the first celebrity guitarist to express an interest in my guitar designs, probably between ten and and twelve years ago.

Depending on his health situation, my wife and I are planning to go to the UK in early December to attend his 70th birthday concert in Leeds. I'd really like to meet him.

Alamo likes this.

11. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    Of this recent group guitar image, six were aquired as 'free' production samples from Eastwood, two were free production samples from Retronix, one is a free production sample from J. Backlund Design.

Three are privately funded prototypes, two are privately purchased, illegal, Chinese knockoffs, and one is a J. Backlund Design Co. JBD-400 (one of five built by them) privately purchased on the used market.

IMG_20180421_090656967~2.jpg

12. titan uranus

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    John, I got my invoice on the Marz 6 today, and I am not pleased by what was on it, I don't know if you have an "in" with Eastwood or not on this.

When they were taking orders, they clearly said it would ship with a hard case. When I got the invoice, the hard case turned into a gig bag.

I have sent them a message regarding this, but from my perspective, they said a hard case was part of the deal and I expect a hard case. (In point of fact, every guitar I own has a hard case - a gig bag is an accident waiting to happen)

Any ideas on who to talk to directly about this?

https://web.archive.org/web/20180210105323/http://eastwoodcustoms.com/projects/backlund-marz/

The wayback archive shows them stating "hardshell case included" and "All guitars will include a custom deluxe hardshell case".

Last edited: May 15, 2018

13. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota

I wasn't aware of any changes Eastwood had made regarding the Marz. I'll ask Eastwood owner Mike Robinson about the case issue, but I have no real influence over things like that. Maybe they can compensate for it somehow. It bugs me that I can get caught in the middle of unforseen things (to me) like this. I'm sure that you're not going to be the only one concerned about this case situation.

14. 2blue2

2blue2 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    Flipping Awesome

15. titan uranus

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    John, it wasn't my intention to put you in the middle, but I can see how it would effectively do just that. So for this, you have my apologies.

As an update, after a bit of back & forth with Mr Robinson, they are going to ship my Marz 6 in an Eastwood branded hard case.

If I am reading his email to me correctly, there would have needed to have been 50 of these guitars built to get Backlund logos on custom made cases, which, in my defense, I was unaware of as no mention was made of this on the original sales page. I am really not all that picky about the logo on the case, I just wanted the a hard case, which was part of the advertised deal to begin with.

In any event, I have paid the balance due and am very much looking forward to what a friend of mine is already calling "your Jetsons Guitar".

Thank you for any efforts you put forward, and once again I apologize for any inconvenience this caused you.

16. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    It's not an inconvenience, just part of 'the business' I guess. Unexpected situations pop up now and then, it's unavoidable, and hopefully, dealt with to everyone's satisfaction.

I'm starting to sound like a brochure writer.

17. John Backlund

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    1. My wife and I drove the 400 miles to Denver last Thursday to go to Rundgren's Utopia reunion concert there that night at the 1930 Paramount Theater in downtown Denver. We lucked out and found a nice hotel room about 3/4 block from the venue.
    2. IMG_20180524_175518186_HDR.jpg

3. Before the show, we were invited backstage by Rundgren's guitar tech for the Utopia tour, Doug Redler, to check out the guitars being used by Rundgren and Sulton.
    4. IMG_20180524_191109206_LL.jpg
      Tour guitar tech Doug Redler...and some creepy fat old guy, holding Todd's two Backlund model 100's.

I was able to ask Doug some specific things about the two model 100's, and the single model 400 they had.

While watching some fan videos on youtube of the, I think, May 6th concert, Rundgren appeared to be having tuning issues with one of the model 100's, and I asked about this. Redler said that what happened was that the long fringe of the Nazz jacket he was wearing kept flopping over the neck and headstock of the guitar, and the fringe had moved tuner keys and kept knocking the guitar out of tune. He assured me that it wasn't the guitar's fault, but the jacket fringe. I noticed that Rundgren stopped wearing that jacket onstage after that.

I also was interested to know what modifications had been done to the three Backlund guitars, and was quite surprised to learn that the only things that separate the concert guitars from off-the-rack standard Eastwood-made 100's we're a slightly lowered nut, and a locking nut installed on the threaded end of the cable input jack, that's it, otherwise 'bone stock' 100's. If I recall correctly, the red/cream 100 was in an open drop 'D' tuning with 10/52's(?), while the blue/cream 100 was in a standard tuning with 10/48's.

Unfortunately, we didn't have an opportunity to personally meet Todd Rundgren, but it was quite a thrill to see, and hear, 'my' guitars being played live on a tour like this. Our seats were fourth row, just left of center stage. My ears are still ringing, however, it was LOUD!
    5. FB_IMG_1527343087459.jpg

FB_IMG_1527354691443.jpg

6. I did see my name on the credits as they rolled up the screen after the concert ended, nice touch, and entirely unexpected....
    7. IMG_20180524_224504447.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    RLee77, titan uranus and trev333 like this.

18. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Have you thought about adding a Bass model to the line?..... that would be cool..:)

the Space Bass..;)

Flakey and John Backlund like this.

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    This is great! I'd be so jazzed...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.