Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Backline Crew Soundcheck Jam

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Alamo, Nov 12, 2017 at 9:29 AM.

1. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    on the Rolling Stones gear and stage in Paris, October 22nd 2017.
    I suppose they check if the wireless sys doesn't have any drop outs, monitors are even and the amps sound ok.
    what else?

xafinity likes this.

2. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    They check everything.

A lot of work has gone on before this point-

Once the system is set up you start off with a line check to make sure every single input and output is patched correctly and working. Funny stuff happens when you plug and unplug thousands of cables each night. You've also got an RF guy who stares at a laptop a lot, co-ordinating the wireless space. It seems like he's just farting around, but if he doesn't do his job right, famous people get mad, guitars get smashed and everybody has a bad night.

Then you ring out the system- The FOH guys calibrate the levels of the different speaker arrays and EQ and delay the system to provide even coverage and clear sound throughout the venue. I mean, as clear as you can get in a sports arena, anyway. The monitor guys do basically the same thing to the monitors and in-ears.

Only then you do the proper soundcheck, which is the final step before showtime- making sure everything sounds good and that the musicians are going to get everything they expect and need onstage. During soundcheck on an arena tour, you're just making minor adjustments- most of the actual work has been done before this point. You know how at a bar gig, the band often talks to the monitor guy after the first song? "More lead vocal in the monitor, more bass in the drummer's monitor, please"? That doesn't happen at gigs of this size. When the band hits that stage, everything is tight. If it isn't, you better have a damn good explanation.

3. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    I wouldn't mind playing Keith or Ronnie's guitars for a while while somebody else checked that everything was working!

esetter and Alamo like this.

4. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    That was very, very cool to watch & listen to!!! Thanks for posting!!!!

esetter and Alamo like this.

5. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Thanks! I can attest that the Stones sound good in stadiums. Guitars are clear and prominent in mix.

@Alamo , did you catch them on this Euro tour?

Alamo likes this.

6. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    That's awesome, if they did a vid at every stop, they'd have an album or two.

Alamo likes this.

7. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    unfortunately, no -- not this time.
    too far away an x-pensive for me at this time.
    I saw 'em twice in one day, back in '73
    and the next visit in '76
    this from my pics from 76 Frankfurt. you can see how close I was to the stage ... then. doesen't happen anymore. usually.

Stones FFM 76 (c)by open-g Kopie.jpg

paparoof and dkmw like this.

8. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    You lucky dog...

If you got that close were you able to figure out that Keef was using open g on some songs?

Alamo likes this.

9. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    I sorta could've - if I only knew more about open g tuning at that time. no internet availlable then, just books.
    David Dalton's book "The Rolling Stones - The First 20 Years" comes to mind.
    the one with the blue print of Ted Newman Jones' 5-string guitar for Keith in it.
    That's where it started for me.

10. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Yeah, I'm really curious about how guitarists started to figure out what Keef was doing. I was 100% clueless back then; I didn't play much and certainly wasn't capable of figuring it out.

I had friends that played covers that were ''close enough'' in standard tuning, but you knew something was missing.

Alamo likes this.

11. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    Ouch. That's why they're the crew.

12. Frankie

Frankie Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Fostoria, Ohio
    The greatest Rock and Roll show you'll see..

13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I've read over and over that every detail of a show is scrutinized by Mick. If there's anything glaringly out of place Mick has seen it before and gets it fixed.

Ya know, it's easy to go through life thinking these guys just show up...but anybody that's been around this long has more sweat invested than we could imagine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.