Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Backing Track Challenge 170 'Pachelbellian' (D Major)

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by estreet, Nov 28, 2018.

1. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    I stole the chords of Pachelbel's Canon for this one (as many have done before me)

G-52, teletimetx, dotpc and 8 others like this.
  2. knh555

knh555 Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Massachusetts
    This one will be fun. I did something similar about a year ago over at Strat-Talk. I can't wait to give this a go.

3. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Normandy, France
    The Backing Tracks come sooner this year. ;)

Nice Backing track again, Carl.

estreet likes this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    This early in the week track worked out just right since I got a Moen Jimi Zero Vibrato pedal in the mail today. I used it throughout the song.

The guitar is "Mossy", my Mosrite JR kit build and the amp is my Hotone Mojo Diamond head. For pedals in addition to the Jimi Zero, I also used a Mosky Spring Reverb and Ammoon Echo. For the first and last clean parts I used a EHX Tone Corset compressor and for the fuzzy part I used an Aroma G-Fuzz.

G-52, teletimetx, Mjark and 6 others like this.
  5. knh555

knh555 Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Didn't have much time, but I did want to play around with this. I could do so all day. If I have more time (doubtful this week), I may try to do something more meaningful. Here's a quick take:

[EDIT] This mix sounds totally quite different to me on Soundcloud. I might play around with the levels if I can find the time.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    G-52, teletimetx, DonM and 9 others like this.
  6. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    Hi all- I was messing around with this but I am having a hard time fitting it into garage band. Can anyone tell me the bpm and/or how you figure out the bpm of a backing track?

Thanks!

7. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    It's 110 BPM

thesamhill likes this.
  8. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    Probably easiest to line it up from where the drums start - if you find the first kick drum beat and using a high magnification put it right on a bar line. With something you don't know the tempo of, do the same and then slide the tempo control until the dum beats line up with the next bar/beat lines. Obviously this will only work with stuff recorded using a click track or programmed drums: a real drummer would never be perfect to that degree all through song without a click.

thesamhill likes this.
  9. knh555

knh555 Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Massachusetts
    dotpc and Omar from ST like this.
  10. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area

Thanks for the help, @knh555 -

And thanks for the backing track, @estreet this was so much fun!

G-52, teletimetx, NWinther and 8 others like this.
  11. knh555

knh555 Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Click on Edit for the track, then click on Permissions. Then turn on "Display Embed Code".

thesamhill likes this.
  12. Raimonds

Raimonds Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2014
    Latvia
    Lovely track, I like it! My quick take:

G-52, teletimetx, RodeoTex and 9 others like this.
  13. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    Godin A6 & P90 PRS

G-52, teletimetx, RodeoTex and 11 others like this.
  14. knh555

knh555 Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Massachusetts
    I went at it again, trying to respect the original without actually pulling out the sheet music. This was an old standby in our string quartet of course.

This time with no alternate covers embedded within.

G-52, RodeoTex, NWinther and 8 others like this.
  15. montemerrick

montemerrick Tele-Meister

sorry i didn't get to comment last week on everybody's takes... work is hotting up at end of year... but i did do this!

seems the challenge is to say something, cuz it sure is pretty and satisfying to simply noodle... here's my second run through - the first was obnoxiously sentimental.

G-52, teletimetx, NWinther and 6 others like this.
  16. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Finished! Now work waits for me. Hope you have fun with it; I tried to keep a little classical.

G-52, teletimetx, RodeoTex and 7 others like this.
  17. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    @bgmacaw : very nice chord stuff in the beginning; well played melodies after that. The ending was also well executed. I´d suggest a little lower volume for the guitars in comparison to the bt.

@knh555 : no slide? I had been looking forward for that!! No, just joking (although it would have been nice). Asides from that, I have no idea where the impulse to go west comes from. I like the clean guitar as well as the distorted one. Second track sounds much more classical, but in the way Deep Purple sounded classical - it´s not obvious.

@thesamhill : the sequences with the two harmonized guitars are beautiful. You used delay quite intense; a little too much for my taste. Distorted guitar rocks, but I like the clean country stuff better. You seem to to know what you are doing there.

@Raimonds : very epic playing, guitar has an almost violin-like touch. I like how you avoided the west by a hair ;).

@estreet : that acoustic guitar shines bright! Classical touch here. Contrasting stuff after that, but still lyrical; ends nearly as a hymn.

@montemerrick : what I love about your videos is to watch you play; you look always so absorbed and concentrated. Nicely played, Monte!

@beagle : lovely clean sound and playing, man! Did I hear that right that you brought in some distorted rythm guitars?

18. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    I doubled the guitar track, clean left, chorus and delay right.

19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    I applied compression in Audacity to the parts where I used the vibrato setting on the Jimi Zero because of the volume cut it causes. The part in the middle used the chorus setting so I didn't use it there but it could have been too loud.

I've found so far that while the Jimi Zero sounds good it's finicky about power and dialing it in is tricky

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.