Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Backing Track Challenge 166. Nasty Industrial Blues

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by estreet, Nov 2, 2018.

1. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    In contrast to last week's laid-back offering - here's a thoroughly offensive racket I came up with in 'E'

2. montemerrick

montemerrick Tele-Meister

my apologies for disappearing last week... i need to catch up. but in the meantime here's me playing someone else's game.
    thanks for the cool track estreet!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    knh555, MrClint, Omar from ST and 7 others like this.
  3. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Interesting track. I had to go outside the box with this one, using the paint can diddley bow I built with my DigiTech RP350 multi-effects. The settings on the RP350 were Classic Fuzz, Blackface Twin amp with mid-boost EQ, tape delay with a lot of wow and flutter and Lexicon Hall Reverb. For the wacky section in the middle, about 1:15, I added in a Step Filter to head on over the top.

Here's the diddley bow I used if you haven't seen it in some of my other posts...

[​IMG]

5. G-52

G-52 Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Denver, Co

hanging out on the 1 chord, cheers:)

6. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    What a great backing track! One shot with one overdub and some Cubase effects:

Omar from ST, MrClint, G-52 and 7 others like this.
  7. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    @montemerrick : after all those acoustic guitar tracks this is a nice surprise. You transported the mood of the bt very well!
    @Mjark : very nice! I dig your sparse but spot on playing along the boiling bt very much. Very good treatment of the break!
    @bgmacaw : very interesting instrument! How is it played and recorded (pickup built in)? Playing and sound reflect the stomping madness of the bt.
    @G-52 : at the beginning it sounds very much like country, but the you settle in and it gets more bluesy. The track is an interesting marriage between the distorted and modulated bt and your absolutely clean playing.

Omar from ST, G-52 and montemerrick like this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    I play it using a striker stick (1/4" wooden dowel) and a slide. In this case, I used a whiskey bottle slide. The slide is kind of gripped like you would a lap steel slide rather than fitting it over your finger. The striker stick is held like you would a drumstick. Hitting the wood and the can as well as the string adds an extra dimension to the sound.

I put a piezo disc pickup inside the can, just under the threaded rod bridge. I "pot" the disc in hot glue to tone down the microphonics. Inside the can, it gets some interesting echoing effects on its own before adding a delay.

MrClint and estreet like this.
  9. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2007
    Denmark Solbjerg.
    Well....not a nice sound to be found here in this recording ;)
    But that was entertaining to play along that track!

Omar from ST, MrClint, G-52 and 7 others like this.
  10. G-52

G-52 Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Denver, Co
    @montemerrick - nice simple melody; I liked the tone switches
    @Mjark - piece builds drama, cool blues runs in the pocket
    @bgmacaw - very creative; I enjoyed your playing and the slideshow
    @udoering - down and dirty, tone and effects blended nicely with the bt; nice comments also
    @NWinther - you captured the mood with lots of great bends, riffs, ... and general destruction:)

11. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2018
    Lake Balboa CA
    @estreet, that backing track is downright filthy. Really digging the vibe! I'm going to have to wait off on my take. I have a guitar with P90's on back order that should fit the bill perfectly, and I want to save this track for its maiden voyage. Hope everyone is laying into this one with a really heavy hand. I'll give a listen after I record my track.

I've got a bad case of cross-harp-itis at the moment, so I'll work on a riff for this in the mean time. Happy jamming twanger peeps! 8)

12. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    so Ima sneak a little somthin' on up in here, ya know whutta mean? You feel me? Yeah, that's right, twizzin' on the BT, not always ma thang, but gots to represent, you feel me? I know you might...there wuz P-90age going on, and plenty knobs set at 12. Might have to turn up your volume; had to mess with levels a little.

13. knh555

knh555 Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Some slide, a bit loose.

14. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    @NWinther : you are right, no nice tone here! Like G-52 stated, good playing and total destruction; like the backwards stuff at the end!
    @teletimetx : what a surprise to hear such noise from you, always having been a clean country player! Anyhow, that added destructed guitar (or whatever this is) sounds good; all the more the sparse clean guitar makes a lovely contrast!
    @knh555 : "nasty" describes it well, though it´s more on the sound than on the playing. Very good treatment of the break! Just wish you would have given your guitar a little more volume.

teletimetx, knh555 and NWinther like this.
  15. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    I made a second version, just for fun:

Omar from ST, MrClint, Mjark and 6 others like this.
  16. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Normandy, France
    Thanks a lot for the track Carl.

Homemade tele into Bias fx preset (with octave and fuzz in it).

17. knh555

knh555 Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Thanks. I tried a quick remix. Hopefully that sounds better. I usually mix on a set of open-backed Sennheisers to keep it quiet for the rest of the house. This doesn't always translate to other systems, especially after SoundCloud does it's own compression thing.

18. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Carl! What have you done to my belove tremolo!;) Well, I made it nasty as I could and this guitar tone goes to @Alan L Cole , I miss your playing here ,buddy!

Omar from ST, MrClint, Mjark and 6 others like this.
  19. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    @montemerrick - Nice emphasizing on your tone Monte .Suits the the track nicely and nice lines.
    @Mjark - The intro melody is very nice, it reminds me of Robby Krieger styling. Love the build ups and phrasing!
    @bgmacaw - Wow!Cool instrument and love the sound that you got on this and it married well with this bt .Nicely done.
    @G-52 Sweet lines with a another perpective .Sounds totally like yours!
    @udoering - Big twang tones ,it sounds very nice with the slide and I quite enjoy the delay on this . Arrangement for both guitars sound sweet together
    @NWinther - I think we went in the same direction some ideas , your captain chaos of the rocking tones ! Very nasty indeed ,great job!
    @teletimetx The panning on this track trick me to look around for my phone :D it sounded like a alarm that I have . Subtle done but affectively played . Nicely done
    @knh555 - Nice slide and tone! love the dirty tone on this , fits so very nicely .
    @udoering- You may not have his tone but I feel some Hendrix influance playing going on here and your the blues playing sounds sweet with the vibrato.
    @JCL50 50-Nasty thick tone and I meant it in a good way. Love how the lines sound with the octaver . Sounds quite good!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  20. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    @JCL50 : what a beautiful nasty sound! And you use the sound ingredients (fuzz, octaver) very skilfully for your playing.
    @knh555 : I hope your remark "hope it sounds better" has to do with the volume of the guitar track and not with my statement regarding nastiness, because nastiness describes the guitar sound in positive meant way!
    @Mellencaster : never thought you would sound and play like this!! A real surprise, Mike - and I love it, it´s a great track! Alan L Cole, I hope he´s alright; had sent him a message some weeks ago, but received no answer.

Mellencaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.