Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Backing Track Challenge 165 - Gentle Minor Key Acoustic

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by estreet, Oct 25, 2018.

1. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    Yes, it does owe a bit to Zeppelin's 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You' but they nicked that anyway from Joan Baez. A minor but at 1:35ish it shifts into D minor for a few bars.

JCL50, Mellencaster, Mjark and 5 others like this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    I decided to do a bit of a challenge with this one and tried slide in standard tuning, something I don't do very often. A few misteaks here and there but I guess I got it to work, more or less.

3. montemerrick

montemerrick Tele-Meister

of all the times i decide to set up my recording station and play a tele! well, um i went at this as if was actually something the band i play in would play so brought more of that sort of "medicine baul" vibe to my playing instead of my usual trying to fit in.

4. montemerrick

montemerrick Tele-Meister

that is some melancholic haunting stuff. bravo!

Luthier Vandros likes this.
  5. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
  6. knh555

knh555 Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Cool track. I decided to pull out the viola and attempt to use my rusty skills with a couple of orchestral parts. Paired with the LP.

Tobias, NWinther, getbent and 7 others like this.
  7. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
  8. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    bgmacaw The slide works well for a haunting voice and give it a nice melencholy feel .

montemerrick Nice melodic lines and use of delay. Sounds good.

Mjark Very smooth melodic playing on this take and a lovely arrangement with your guitars.

knh555 Really a viola?;) Sounds very cool and complicated . Nice go at it!

9. knh555

knh555 Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Massachusetts
    At the risk of exposing how rusty my bowed, fretless instrument skills are, here it is without the guitar:

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Sorry to inflict another synth-like track on you, but I was playing around with my Digitech RP-350 unit this morning and this track was still queued up for recording, so....

I used the IPS effect model which is a partial model of the classic 80's and 90's rack unit, the Digitech IPS-33B Super Harmony Machine. I set the IPS to 3rd Up, A Minor with a level of 35. The amp model was '01 Dual Rectifier with a Vintage V30 4x12 cabinet model. I also used the Lexicon Ambiance for some reverb. Mossy was the guitar again but as processed as this signal was, I don't think that really mattered too much.

11. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
  12. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    @bgmacaw : lovely fat sound, slide playing fits to the mood of the track perfectly, some haunting tones! Second track is nice, I would have preferred a little more reverb / delay to blend the guitar track with the bt.
    @montemerrick : delay is a beautiful tool. I think you got what you aimed at.
    @Mjark : yeah, you played the rock version of this! Lovely playing, Mark! I love you bringing in the second guitar. Them playing together is really strong!
    @knh555 : initial thoughts: that viola sounds gorgeous, perfect instrument; leave out the guitar. Well, you did!
    @Mellencaster : ..while my guitar gently weeps! Wonderful.

13. CNG232

CNG232 TDPRI Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Massachusetts
    @estreet thank you so much for this track. I lived working with it. I spent way too long trying to get the right sound on my tele, but here goes...

14. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Normandy, France
    Fuzzy Strat Plus in front and tremolo clean Strat Plus in the background.

15. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Normandy, France
    @bgmacaw slide playing works well on this track
    @montemerrick interesting delay use
    @Mjark nice classic rock playing and sounds.
    @knh555 I really loved it. it sounds like it could be the soundtrack of a good series
    @Mellencaster like Harrison playing bluesy. Sounds awesome
    @udoering Nice playing. cool spaceship sound fx ;). sounds good
    @CNG232 nice playing. good tone

16. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    I know that, but if the sound seems not be right, I am not able to ignore this :). Well, the sound of your guitar was worth the effort; your playing sounds very "folky" to me, and those passages with two guitars are really good.

17. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Sweet full fat tone and playing with skilful use of tremolo!

18. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

So much talent on this board

19. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    P90 PRS. DV Mark amp from DI socket

NWinther, JCL50, Mellencaster and 4 others like this.
  20. CNG232

CNG232 TDPRI Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Massachusetts
    @udoering I love the weaving together of the multiple tracks and the complimentary tones you have found.
    @bgmacaw The slide is an interesting choice and it works well. Nicely done!
    @montemerrick Nice work. The guitar is so quiet at the beginning it is hard to hear though.
    @Mjark: I love the bold beginning. I wish I had your ability to hit all your notes at precisely the right instant. I find my fingers are often just unable to get it just right.
    @knh555 Viola inferno. Deep and dark a perfect celebration of this nor'easter which killed our Saturday. Very cool indeed
    @Mellencaster While my guitar is a cool creative way to kick off your rockin take. Great tone and attack!
    @bgmacaw Sounds like you are having fun in the studio with some cool toys. Interesting FX. Nice work
    @JCL50 I love what you have done with the tone of your strat. Almost has an LP sound. The multiple tracks work well together and your melody is well constructed. Choette (sp?)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.