Back to the Peavey Bandit

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mr_Martin, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Oops i did it again.
    After a Fender Twin, 2 Redstripe Bandits a Marshall Silver Jubilee
    and a Peavey Studio Pro i returned to a Bandit.
    I have a new Band with a loud drummer so the Studio Pro could not keep up.

Last week i bought the third Bandit in my life.
    I tested a lot of amps in the Musicstore.
    I wanted it loud an not too heavy. So i tried Modelling- Hybrid- and Solid State-Amps.
    Boss Katana (not enough punch), Fender Champion 100 (looked like a plastic toy), VOX AC30 VR (too big), Marshall MG GFX and the the new Bandit.

Bandit wins again.

I found one in the classifieds for 150 Euros.

I had two Red Stripes but the new one isn't worse, i don't hear much difference.

The Bandit is still the winner when it comes to loud, transportable, reliable, nice cleans and good overdrive sound.

I use the clean channel with my Boss ME-80 in front of it and have all i need.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-19 um 09.45.02.png

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    stevemc, bgmacaw, RedRock and 10 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

JayFreddy likes this.
  3. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, other amps are for fun. Peaveys are for work.

Shuster, haggardfan1, jvin248 and 2 others like this.
  4. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Shootout Redstripe vs Grey Stripe

5. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

If your drummer didn't play too loud, you wouldn't have needed a new amp ...

6. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

I know, but you know drummers...

RyCo1983 likes this.
  7. markal

markal Tele-Holic

That’s a helluva loud drummer! Studio pros can be very loud.

nojazzhere and haggardfan1 like this.
  8. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

See the answer above your post :)

9. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Holic

Nothing wrong with that. I have a few nice tube amps I gig with but when I’m home I play through my teal stripe bandit and my Redstripe revolution. Both have sweet clean channels . Different from each other. I think the Redstripe clean wins between the two amps I have . I must admit I’ve never tried the new ones. They look really cool and they sound great on you tube. I think you made a wise choice:)

JayFreddy and haggardfan1 like this.
  10. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Good call. I used to gig/rehearse /generally abuse my Bandit 112 and it never missed a beat. Nice all round amps.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  11. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I've recently rediscovered my Bandit, identical to the one in the OP. After I traded an ailing Hot Rod Deluxe for the new Bandit, I almost immediately ran across a red stripe Studio Pro, which seemed easier to carry so I parked my Bandit at church and gigged with the SP for about four years.

I have nothing but praise for the Studio Pro. But during a remodel at church I pulled the Bandit out and shortly thereafter played a gig with it; and it just sounds so good, even on lowest power so it breaks up early.

The only complaint I've ever had is that is seems bulky and awkward to move around; I wonder if it's feasible to put side handles on it, and carry it in front of you like a PA cab...or maybe I'm just getting old, when I complain about carrying a Peavey Bandit.:lol:

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I always found it interesting how people obsess over an amp that I hated when I owned it.

13. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

No the cab is pretty good size for a 1x12, and seems to be just big enough to catch you in the knee, or get stuck in a closing door that you though you a had cleared.. It's not that it's heavy so much as it being just light enough to lure you in to a sense of complacency..

haggardfan1 likes this.
  14. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

I think the size of the cab of the Bandit has a great impact on the sound.
    The Studio Pro has 65 Watts vs 80 on the Bandit that's not much difference, the difference ist the bigger cab of the bandit.
    This makes the huge sound.

It's similar to theFender Blues Jr. vs the Deluxe Reverb (15 Watts vs 22 Watts is not much difference) but the Deluxe with the big housing has a great sound while the Blues Jr. has a boxy sound.

I hope you understand what i mean (my english is not that great).

Greets

CK Dexter Haven and haggardfan1 like this.
  15. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Holic

Funny how that works:)

haggardfan1 likes this.
  16. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Convert it to a head and carry a cabinet separately. I've seen a few mods out there on Internet-land.
    I actually am surprised that with the resurgence of interest in the Bandit, that Peavey doesn't do this -- the lovable Bandit in an easy to carry format.

Originally the Bandit suffered from two issues, the first is that anything 'low priced' =/='good' and the second is that players bought amps back in the old days on the distortion channel. Now with so many players using pedals and more pedals and Helix/Kemper/etc systems that players really only need a clean amp to boost the generated sounds.

bgmacaw and JayFreddy like this.
  17. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Greetings to you too, and nice to meet you. Your observation makes perfect sense.

I believe you are exactly right; I was thinking I even read something about the slightly oversize cabinet of the current era Bandit contributing to the Transtube sound in this latest iteration.

It makes me wonder if I could get by with a new Envoy, because that 1x10 cab is larger than most too. I've never played through one, so I don't know, but it looks like a great amp in a smaller, lighter package than the Bandit.

Mr_Martin likes this.
  18. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I have heard that there are drummers somewhere that don't play too loud or try to push the tempo.

.....At least I've heard there are.....

I'll find them after I get a good picture of yeti and sasquatch (samsquanch).

19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

It was a clean amp, I'll say that much. I had the 80's Bandit 65.

20. Shuster

Shuster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had a Bandit way back in in '98 and loved it, my Nephew is now the proud owner and loves it too.
    A couple of months ago I saw an add on C.L. for a Peavey Renown Solo Series, for $80.00 not working. Called and asked what the problem was, guy said it turn on but nothing?

So knowing what speakers were loaded into it, I went to take a look. The amp was in great shape, speakers looked fine from what I could see, so I offered him $60.00 saying I could use the cab if nothing else! Brought the monster home, and found that somebody had cut wires to the speakers and never reconnected them, maybe to hook up to a different cab?? But once I fixed the problem, the amp sounded great and flippin loud:eek:

drlucky and SPUDCASTER like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.