Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Back to the mustang world

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by grim83, Jul 13, 2017.

1. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    Scored a mustang 1 v1 off Facebook with a 15ft monster cable for $30. Still has hang tags on the amp. I haven't been able to mess with it much since we are in the middle of moving (I needed it for my temporary living arrangement) but it seems to sound better stock than the V2 I had at least by my recollection. The new goal will be to get a few useable presets loaded and leave it alone so I don't spend hours toying with it instead of playing like last time lol. If I keep it after the move I think I want to rehouse it and put a 10 or 12 in there.

xafinity likes this.

2. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    Great price on the Mustang 1... you inspired me to hit up Craigslist to see if I could find one so cheap. No dice but I did find a Mustang Floor in great condition in the box for $100. Man... I wanted to buy it just to see what it was like. I wish they made a Mustang Floor GT.

3. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    I would have rather grabbed a mustang 3 but for the price you really can't complain and it beats spending more on something that I only need for a short time anyway.

4. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    I would be really surprised if Fender ever makes a Mustang GT floor. The first one got closed out so soon I don't think they will be in any hurry to get back into that market.

5. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    I don't know much about that, but the market for that type of set up seems to be expanding. I think most buyers would just see the mustang floor as redundant since it offers little in the way of perks over the others in the series and mustangs aren't usually regarded in the same realm as helix and company

6. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    I think instead of rehousing the Mustang I with a bigger speaker etc. (and rendering it unsellable), you could sell the Mustang I and buy a used Mustang II.

7. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    I'm really tempted to get a mustang 3 when this is all said and done to have the LCD screen and all, but the idea of having one in a custom Tweed cabinet is enticing.

8. Bill

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    I had a Mustang III V1 and then bought the V2 and sold the V1. Used, they're dirt cheap for what you get. I love mine.

In my case I bought it cuz my tube amps are in storage in another country.

Oh. And I seem to recall there's a trick with the Mustang I since it doesn't have a mid control. It's like you can use the treble tone control while holding down the model selection wheel or something.

9. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    Well a little update. The move and temporary living arrangement is over as of Friday and I'm officially in my new house for good. I'm surprised by how much I've grown to like this little mustang and am really wanting to grab a III. I got a few really nice presets and havent missed my tube amps as much as I thought I would. It's nice having a 57 deluxe for when the blues/ blues rock mood strikes, a Princeton for my jazzier times, and a twin for the country playing all in a small little box that actually sounds decent. I believe I'll keep the little mustang for living room duty next to my champ 600.

10. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2014
    Piute County, Utah
    I am totally sold on my Fender Mustang III V2! I picked up a Mustang I V2 for a smaller practice. I would love to find a comparable tube amp on the lines of the Mustang III V2 (size). May be a Princeton will fill that bill.

11. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    United States
    I LOVE my Mustang III V2! (thanks tdpri for the recommendation!)
    I use the Deluxe Reverb channel almost exclusively so I guess if I were to move to a tube amp I would go with the Deluxe Reverb.? The Mustang is one LOUD sob though so I'm not sure the DR could keep up volume wise. The Princeton is not as loud either if that matters to you. The Mustang is so versatile if you were to switch to a tube amp you should get an amp that can get the sounds you use on the Mustang.

12. grim83

grim83 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2014
    alabamy
    I think the deluxe reverb is great, but I really like using the twin with the deluxes cab. It's like a deluxe on steroids. I don't think the mustang will replace my tubes but it's nice having so many options at your disposal once you kind of figure out how the software works. I use the 57 deluxe, the twin (with the Dr cab), the Princeton, and the Marshall pretty much exclusively.

13. Bill

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    I too use the 65 Deluxe Reverb preset exclusively. Of course my favorite amp is my 66 Deluxe Reverb. But it's in storage.

14. The Blood

The Blood Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2014
    Healdsburg, CA
    I have a silverface Princeton Reverb '76 that I use for gigs and rehearsals (blues etc). But I also have 2 mustangs, the III v2 and the I v2, and I really like both of them. I got the "1" for practice and travel and the "III" as a backup and for gigs when I needed a direct out and the convenience of no pedals.

So, although I do regularly play with a tube amp that is considered to be quite decent, I also am regularly using my mustangs and I think they are great for what they are: inexpensive, lightweight, packed with features and connections. And although its certainly subjective, it really seems like both of them keep sounding better as I continue to play through them.

Recently I used the III as a monitor when playing acoustic through a PA and it worked really well, giving me lots of control over my sound. I could hear the effects and EQ before putting it through the main system, and then dial in the volume as needed.

Jim Dep likes this.

15. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    I have a Mustang III v1 and love it. I also had a II and did not love it. Big difference, I think the difference is two fold 1. Better speaker 2. Open back cabinet. For the record, I owned both at the same time, I took patches from the III and copied them onto the II so I was comparing exact settings. The other reason I always recommend the III is simply because if you want to play completely clean (ie: Fenter Twin with gain turned lowest)....AND be loud enough to play with a drummer....you simply need the 100 watts. PLUS right now, you can get a v1 III used for $200 or less easily. No one wants the v1 anymore. Lasdt point, a III with both the two and four button switches can do so much!

Jim Dep and Bill like this.

16. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    There's no reason not to get a Mustang III v1 if the price is right and there's no used V2's for sale. You'll be missing a few amp models, effects and XLR outs.
    There's so much to choose from already on the V1, I still haven't experimented with much that's available, in a few years of owning it. Great sounding little combo.

Bill and Vespa_One like this.

17. Bill

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    I owned both versions of the Mustang III and had no hum issues with mine. I tried out the same 65 Deluxe model with the same settings and they were pretty much the same. At first I thought there was a slight difference in the low end. But then I swapped their position in the room. And then they sounded the same.

Jim Dep likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.