Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

back plate alternative

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by mangus, Jan 1, 2018.

1. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    Hi there,
    Is there a good aesthetically pleasing yet sturdy alternative to the neck plate that still insures a good neck/body connection??

2. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    countersunk ferrules

John Nicholas likes this.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Yep, I like countersunk ferrules, because I like to contour the heel area. That way I can put the holes wherever I want.

John Nicholas and LeftFinger like this.

4. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    Is there like an eBay kit I can buy?

5. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    Almighty bless you!(whatever your religion is)

What do you call those inserts that are placed in the neck?(they should insure a better connection)
    A: after a Google search I found out they're called threaded inserts.
    I'm going to try to find all the materials out of stainless steel around where I live. (Portugal) If I can't I guess I'll try to order some.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Jupiter likes this.

6. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    https://www.ezlok.com/inserts-for-wood

I don't really think they give a much better connection, but they are useful if you are disassembling the guitar often. I've never used 'em myself, because I don't take the necks off that often.

7. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I installed some threaded inserts on an Affinity Strat and I felt they did add some sustain. But I had also added the neck screw ferrules at the same time, and an LSR nut. So I have no idea how much the threaded inserts alone added.

8. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    As soon as I have time I'm going to look for the three things (threaded insert, wood screws and ferrules(any specific type?))

9. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Just remember, if you use the inserts, get machine screws that fit them, not wood screws!

10. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Yes, the inserts should come with matching machine screws. No wood screws with them.

Honestly, you can get the neck screw ferrules with screws on eBay for fairly cheap. Easiest way to go. You can always change to inserts later.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.