Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

B5 with a Mastery Bridge.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by CalebAaron666, Dec 6, 2018.

1. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Well, I had a fender B5 bigsby kit installed on my 2008 MiM Telecaster Standard a few weeks back, and I love it. However, the jaguar bridge that came with the kit is not the best. The strings make contact with the back plate of the bridge so the strings would get hung up every time i used the wiggle stick. Also, I lost sustain.
    I tried it raised as a rocking bridge, as it’s intended, and that was bad. Then I dropped the base and raised the saddles, that was a bit better. However, I want this thing to work as well as it can.
    So after some research and asking questions, I broke my piggy bank and ordered the Mastery M1 bridge.
    Here she is:

EB09FF68-5D4F-4F75-AEC0-D3E0BBCC6466.jpeg
    No, it ain’t that pretty, Definitely not vintage, but it’s made a huge difference already.
    The strings go straight from bigsby to saddles.
    Like so:

1EE07552-9528-4FA4-95AE-0184329A4843.jpeg
    I’ve tried it with the plate bottomed out with raised saddles, and I’ve now set it as is directed, raising the plate for string height, and then fine-tuning the height with the saddles.
    Setting the intonation SHOULD be easy, however, the tension bar of the “F” b5 and the bridge are too close to fit the included allen wrench. Luckily, I had one that was the same size that fit. Only needed to adjust the A cuz it was a tad flat.
    Not bad!
    The real test will come next band practice. But so far, I’m pleased with the investment. The tuning is far more stable than it was with the jaguar bridge. If I abuse the bigsby, yes, it’ll still go a few cents flat, BUT that’s when I touched handle to pickguard. I’m not going to be doing that anytime while playing with my band or by myself. It was just a test.
    All right, that’s enough talking about this thing.

9A288C87-29AA-44A6-B673-4EBB67D5B351.jpeg 25598CB4-B0AF-4395-BF06-B2747D606D7B.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    brookdalebill, BorderRadio and Boil like this.
  2. Boil

Boil Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2011
    B.C.
    Yup those work really well, got one myself

Bigsby.jpg

brookdalebill and CalebAaron666 like this.
  3. CalebAaron666

Dec 2, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    How high is yours raised? Just curious.
    Not sure if I should try it bottomed out again or keep it raised and rocking.

4. Boil

Boil Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2011
    B.C.
    It's up about 1/8" it does not rock as the bridge posts are a pretty snug fit.
    I don't think it's supposed to rock anymore is my understanding.

CalebAaron666 likes this.
  5. CalebAaron666

Dec 2, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Gotcha, i just tightend the posts, and it’s not really doing it anymore.

6. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I have one, too. I think I have the bridge pretty well bottomed out. This bridge really brought back the Telecaster snappiness compared to the ashtray bridge with the back filed down. I've been happy with it.

BorderRadio and CalebAaron666 like this.
  7. Boil

Boil Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2011
    B.C.
    Yes that's what I found too, it was kind of dead sounding before I replaced the bridge, way better now.

King Creole and CalebAaron666 like this.
  8. CalebAaron666

Dec 2, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yes! My treble strings sounded dead with the jaguar bridge. No sustain really at all. And any hammerons i played were kind of ineffective. Now that’s changed and she rings again!

King Creole likes this.
  9. Boil

Boil Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2011
    B.C.
    Turned my 04 back into a guitar I like to play, worth every penny.

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Congrats dood, glad it worked out. I’d drop the plate just above touching the bridge plate, the goal being to lower the saddles as much as possible. I’d go so far as put a ‘reverse’ shim in the neck, to angle it down toward the bridge, instead of up. It won’t harm the tone, but I find it helps with the feel and stability—more like those B3/B6s out there. Add a soft spring and the handle thing I was saying before..I can’t even tell the difference anymore from the non-tension bar Bigs.

11. CalebAaron666

Dec 2, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Dude, thanx for the tip on this thing.
    I put a soft spring in as soon as i got the b5, and I keep the handle tight. Glides great and it’s very responsive. I wanna play around with the adjustments more tomorrow.
    What did you use for a “reverse” shim? Got any pictures?

12. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hey no problem. No pics unfortunately, but see below. You want the ‘front side’ setup. I cut a piece off a file folder, but a business card will work too. A little goes a long way, no big shims, a heavy pick would probably be too much. Again, its just to decrease the break angle some, since those F-style B5s move the tension bar really close to the bridge.

0767AAEF-A103-4A5E-A622-DD676E753BB5.gif

13. CalebAaron666

Dec 2, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Wow, that’s so slight. I can grab a file folder from work.
    Never shimmed before. Easy as taking the neck off and putting it back on? Would I need to re-adjust the truss you think?

14. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    It’s totally optional. The next guy will tell you it’s fine, don’t need shims lol. That’s it, just unscrew the neck carefully. You don’t even need to remove the screws completely on this one, as long as you can put the shim in reasonably square. Truss rod adjustment is unlikely but you never know until you go there.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  15. CalebAaron666

Dec 2, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I ain’t scared!
    A single strip of card stock, file folder etc, can’t make that much a difference. But I can’t keep both the base and saddles low on the mastery with the neck set flat as it is now. One or the other has to be set high. I think i’ll bring the tele to work with me tomorrow night and take a chance. I’m due for new strings anyway. I’ll make a night of it!

BorderRadio likes this.
  16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
  17. CalebAaron666

Dec 2, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Couldn’t wait. I work nights and while at work all I was thinking about was shimming this neck amd lowering the bridge.
    Came home, fed the animals, and made it happen. Easy work.
    I just loosened the strings, unscrewed the neck 60%, and slipped a cut piece of thin cardstock from the box of velcro (it was handy from pedal board assembly) in between the two top screws.
    I left myself a little bit sticking out so I could easily loosen the neck and pull it out if I changed my mind.
    It fixed the bridge height like gangbusters. Now the bridge, base and saddles, are low to ease the angle, but my action is exactly as I like it. So I snipped the little bit i left hanging out.
    Thanx for your know-how, brother. My guitar thanks you too.

BorderRadio likes this.
  18. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    Got one years ago an cannot be more happy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. CalebAaron666

Dec 2, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    That is HOT!
    Yeah, now that I got the set up fine tuned I can’t wait to run it thru it’s paces.
    Also, cool to see yet ANOTHER G-T man here.

20. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    I had to file a bit the corners, get the edges rounded...

I am a heavy strummer, but once done, is forever

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.