Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

B5 Bigsby with standard saddles...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by danbind, Aug 26, 2013.

1. danbind

danbind TDPRI Member

I got a B5 Bigsby to put on my project tele. I want to use the cutoff bridge plate and standard saddles--I never liked the look of the Bigsby plate, it reminds me of the ashtray, which I never used on my old tele.

I built a jig to hold my dremel securely, to grind notches in the back of the plate:

[​IMG]

I set the height of the bridge plate with some scrap so that I could rock the tool up and down just enough.

It turned out not crappy:

[​IMG]

It still needs some filing.

My real problem now is that the B5 string spacing is way too narrow. Callaham sells a modified string bar (or whatever you call it) with the pins drilled out; I queried whether they had a version with wider spacing, so that you don't need notched saddles. They did not--said it really wouldn't fit. I am hereby consternated--I really don't want to notch my compensated saddles...

I was thinking of having one machined locally, though not really sure if this is cost-effective...anyone have other ideas? Thanks!

2. D_Schief

D_Schief Tele-Holic

Do you think threaded steel saddles would help you get the proper spacing?

Attached Files:

3. danbind

danbind TDPRI Member

I would think the threaded saddles wouldn't result in good Bigsby-ing; I would think I need wider notches. My compensated saddles are un-notched, but I guess the simple option is to just replace them instead--save'em for another project. They are some Callahams that sound terrific without the Bigsby, so I don't want to experiment with notching them myself.

Maybe try the Rutters?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.