Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

B-day present for my wife

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mjr428, Nov 10, 2017.

1. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    So here it is...

1546721139758.jpg
    1546721169644.jpg
    1546721179691.jpg
    1546721189226.jpg
    1546721197916.jpg
    1546721216144.jpg
    1546721222021.jpg

Only the middle pickup is working right now, but it sounds pretty good for a middle pickup. I think I have a grounding issue somewhere that I'm going to have to troubleshoot when I get the chance. I also need to adjust the nut a little more. Other than that, it plays pretty good. I'm not sure I like the 2 point trem... I don't know how to set it up properly and the holes may be off a bit. Right now I have all 5 springs and have the claw screwed in pretty far.

I gave it to my wife on her birthday and she was surprised for sure. She's not much of a gearhead so I don't know how excited she is to have more then one guitar now but hopefully over time she'll appreciate it. My son did say it looked like a store bought guitar, so that made me feel good. Anyways, I'll try to get some sound samples up when I get all 3 pickups working.

Sent from my LGMP260 using TDPRI forum mobile app

elpico, RiversQC, E-miel and 4 others like this.
  2. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2008
    Brentwood, TN
    Very sweet looking guitar, and I am sure your wife will grow to really love it. You made it for her. That's worth more than a store bought guitar.

3. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    good to read it came all together.
    wiring can be a pita, but the time pressure is gone now ;)
    like the carve on the headstock, very nice tuners.
    congrats to you and the wife

4. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    So I think I've gotten to the bottom of my wiring issues... it's not the wiring but a bad switch (and jack). Though the jack wasn't causing the two pickups to not work. The switch wasn't making contact in positions 1,3 and 5. I messed around with it and got all 5 positions to work, but it's still a little scratchy (and can go out again if I jiggle the switch blade around). I'll have to replace the switch I think as well as the jack. The jack just doesn't really make contact when the cable is pushed all the way in. I have to have it half way engaged to get it to make contact. Kind of annoying that 2 brand new components both failed at the same time. Also it appears that the neck pickup has half the output as the other 2 which leads me to believe that maybe one of the coils went out...? The neck measured at about 4k where as the other 2 pickups measure around 7.5-8k. Anyways, I think it sounds ok. I used 250k pots because that's what the ernie ball guitar uses, but I'm wondering if it would benefit from using 500k pots. I guess some more tinkering is in the future...

Ekko likes this.
  5. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    It looks great! Keep us updated on the tweaking.
    Rex

6. boop

boop TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2018
    Massachusetts
    This came out looking awesome. I like what you did with the head stock. Glad to hear you are honing in on your electrical problems, sounds like you'll have them sorted in no time.

7. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    you could try to read the Kohm for each coil separate to check if everything is good ore not.
    sometime the wire ends could snap/burn/get damaged in the soldering event ore, but check each coil.

did you buy all three from the same company at the same time?

8. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    Yes, I got them all at once from the same seller. They all checked out the same as far as output was concerned when I first got them. They have been sitting around for the better part of a year... I did have to pull on the wires to get it threaded through the body... because of how thick each bundle of wires are, I had to make some pretty large holes to get them all the way through and into the cavity. I'm wondering if I may have pulled a wire loose from one of the coils while I was yanking on them...

9. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    that could be a problem, but then maybe you could repair it maybe if you would know where the crack would be?
    maybe buying a new one would be better

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.