Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

B-day present for my wife

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mjr428, Nov 10, 2017.

1. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    Bought some very thin aluminium today to experiment with...
    1533757753133.jpg
    I cut it out with some tin snips and filed it to shape... I think this will work, at least for now. Don't know how long it will hold up though. Think I'll paint it to whatever color I decide for the pickguard.

2. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Nice work man. I'm sure your wife will appreciate all of your hard work. I also like to use clear acrylic for my pickguards and then paint the back. It can be tricky sometimes for sure. I haven't done it with a template yet, but that's how I want to do it moving forward. Are you just using a trim router and a bearing bit?

3. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Tell us a little about that other build in the picture. Looks nice.
    Rex

Kriticaster likes this.
  4. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Subscribing... I'm so excited with the end product!

Oh... How do I subscribe?

5. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    Here's the thread for that guitar.

http://www.tdpri.com/index.php?threads/766082/

It's just another build using scraps trying to gain more experience with this relatively new hobby of mine.

Kriticaster likes this.
  6. Steveinthesticks

Steveinthesticks Tele-Meister

May 11, 2006
    Austin
    Any progress? I am working on drawings & templates for a similar build

7. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

This whole build has been terrific! I hope you continue posting your progress.

8. imploration

imploration Tele-Meister

Sep 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Best tremolo on the market!!!

Kriticaster likes this.
  9. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    No progress as of now, but I plan on getting back to this one soon... Might make it in time for her birthday coming up, so it might end up being a b-day present after all! Finishing up another project first... Hopefully in the next week or so.

Kriticaster likes this.
  10. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    As many people have said to me on my projects... ‘Get her done!’

(And with all respect, I mean the guitar and not your wife )

11. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    because i have the same pickup you are going to use i am waiting to hear about your experience with them.
    have no guitar for it yet ;-)

12. Steveinthesticks

May 11, 2006
    Austin
    StV.jpg this is as far I have progressed- a lot of subtle differences between the pickup schematic body shape and the photos I was trying to work from, so probably close. I modeled the tremolo cutout & neck from a strat dwg

need to find one at a shop to look over, my shop tools are in storage so I have been vicariously following threads here

Ekko and mjr428 like this.
  13. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    Looks good! I just ended up taking the dimensions given on their website and then matched it up to an image and traced it in illustrator... Close enough for me. Just about everything checked out.

Steveinthesticks likes this.
  14. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    Ok, getting back to this project. I have less then a month to get it together before her birthday in January. I'm going to finish it without a finish for a couple of reasons. #1 the weather is not great right now and I don't really have enough time to allow the lacquer to cure and all that... And #2 she gets to choose what color she wants. So I'm finishing up route depths for pickups and had a bit of a miscaculation...
    1544391399704.jpg
    1544391406861.jpg
    Think this is going to cause any problems? That 1-5/8" body thickness got me.

Ekko, eallen and Steveinthesticks like this.
  15. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Does the trem block stick out of the back?

16. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    It's about flush... I thought about cutting the block but I'm afraid of ruining a perfectly good block. I'm sure the springs will stick out a bit

17. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    So today has not been a good day...
    1544395142190.jpg
    Broke the pick guard trying to fit the neck... It must be the cold weather... Don't remember the neck pocket being so tight. Anyway, here's a quick mockup.
    1544395234073.jpg
    Probably going to buy some pickguard material instead of using plexi this time. I don't like working with plexi.

18. Steveinthesticks

May 11, 2006
    Austin
    I think the third pickup route is going through into the trem spring well on my solidworks model. I need to measure the actual tremolo stud lengths, in my solidworks model the holes for them go into the trem spring well also. Have a pine blank glued and rough cut need to compare thickness with what I did in the model before I finish my templates.

I was disappointed to see the cavity cover on the one at the guitar center here looks like textured kydex and is not inletted at all. That simplifies things for me, but wow those are some serious short cuts for a $2k guitar.

19. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    if you would want to use plexi, look for a firm that sells outdoor add light boxes (don't know how you call them in english) that transparant plexi is not ass breakable like the kind from the DIY shop.
    i used it myself and is more foregiving
    isn't there a metalshop that could take same of trem block for you?

you are doing a not so usual model, and i think i could not done it better.
    if your wife is reading the effort you made to get this done, then all the flaws are peaces off the cake.
    why? you kept on digging to get were you want for her!
    respect!

Kriticaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.