Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

B-day present for my wife

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mjr428, Nov 10, 2017.

1. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    Yeah, I got a quick reply from them and they said it was an error with the paypal system printing out the address from the previous order but had my name on it. The guy said it happened with 5 different orders that all showed up this one address in Indiana. They're going to ship out a replacement tomorrow.

2. Wendell

Wendell TDPRI Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Long Beach, California
    I look forward to seeing your progress and the final result of the project. NGD for my EBMM StV is Monday 11/27.

3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    mjr428,
    What model is that tremolo and what is the source? I've not seen a Wilkinson with two pivot points like that. I'm assuming standard 2 7/32" mounting with 2 1/16" string spread?
    Thanks,
    Gene

4. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

May 27, 2015
    District of Columbia
    I’m thinking about going to see St Vincent in concert Monday night.

5. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    I'm sorry, I don't understand your abbreviations...

6. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    I'm not sure, I got it off ebay from artfit guitars, I believe. It says they are a liscences manufacturer of Wilkinson stuff or something like that. It looks and feels like its quality. Has a lot of weight to it and doesn't feel cheap at all. Has a big heavy block. Not sure what the exact diminsions are, but I can get them for you if you'd like.

7. The Ballzz

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks, I found similar after a bit of searching. getting prepped for putting a wiggle stick into a Tele and want to weigh all options.
    Thanks Again,
    Gene

mjr428 likes this.
  8. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    I measured... String spacing does appear to be 2-1/16" and stud spacing looked to be 2-3/8" but my ruler isn't very precise so could be 2-7/32...

9. The Ballzz

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
  10. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    So I have all the parts except for the 5 way super switch and the knobs. The knobs are still in transit and haven't ordered the switch yet.
    1511671832910.jpg
    I've decided to go with the inexpensive import neck for lack of time. I'll modify the headstock and probably the heel as well. The neck feels ok and is straight. The only thing I'm disappointed with is the frets are tiny... I may have to refret it with some jumbo frets, but I'll wait and see how much time I have... I can always do that after the fact. I was hoping that it would at least have medium frets like the neck I got with the chinese diy kit I got recently. Oh well...

11. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Great project, and gift!

I tried out a Sterling StVincent and really liked it. The shape is surprisingly comfortable.

mjr428 likes this.
  12. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    I got the templates cut out today. 1511720492302.jpg
    The body and pickguard... Now I need to clean up the wood I have and glue the body blank together. I'm contemplating whether I should go with 1-5/8" thickness like the real thing or go with 1-3/4" thickness to give plenty of room for the tremelo block. The block is 1-1/2" long. Do you think an 1/8 of an inch is enough clearance for the block and springs? Any suggestions or insight?

Ekko likes this.
  13. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    FWIW, a typical two point won't be right on the deck(unless you want it decked). If it is floating, you'll have more than 1/8" clearance. Not sure if Ernie Ball or Sterling use a short block or not.

But, I would think 1/8" would be enough to clear. If it is decked, then you will be lifting the block to drop pitch, not dropping it lower. I have used back cover spacers on an Affinity that the rear cover wouldn't clear. But that was 1-1/2" body.

14. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    You can always hack the block. I had to do it with a custom I built. I just used a cutting wheel on a grinder and then re-drilled the string ferrule holes.

15. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    So some unexpected life events came up over the thanksgiving weekend and I don't think I'm going to be able to put the work into this project and finish it in time for her birthday. I guess she'll have to settle for a record player... I will finish this eventually and present it to her, but until then... I'll update this post as I can.

Hyliandeity likes this.
  16. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Sorry to hear that, life often interferes with our plans, hope you get it resolved as painlessly and quickly as possible. You obviously put a lot of thought and effort into planning this unique gift, I'm sure your wife will be very appreciative when you are able to complete it and give it to her.

Kriticaster and mjr428 like this.
  17. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    Thanks, I appreciate that!

18. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    Ok, I'm finally able to revisit this project... Bought some wood today.
    1528772075023.jpg

I got some poplar today for the body. I may be able to squeeze 2 bodys out of this. It's hard to find good lumbar in my parts as all the hardwood lumberyards are all in the north side of Dallas. I was recently moved to a new facility for work and lo and behold, there's a hardwood lumberyard a few blocks from the new facility. So I stopped in today and got some lumber. $2.30 a board foot I believe. This wood should be much easier to finish. Our anniversary is coming up in little less than a month... It would be cool if I could finish it by then... Not likely, but it would make a good anniversary gift. Maybe I can get it all completed sans paint job and let her select the color...

Attached Files:

R. Stratenstein, Ekko and RogerC like this.
  19. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2015
    Midlothian, TX
    1528950672276.jpg
    Ok, I need to get the blank glued up, hopefully before the weekend. I'm trying to have as little waste as possible. I should have enough left over for a tele body... I'm hoping.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.