B.B. King

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Dan R, May 18, 2019.

1. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

I saw Mr. King on his 80th birthday tour. Everybody dressed in tuxedos. His band played for about 20 minutes and then BB came out. No opening act. He sat down but it was a great show. At the end they threw out beads and trinkets like Mardis Gras. Full horn section with a Hammond B3.

I have the LP.

Wobbles, 24 track, Jamie_h and 3 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I saw him on his 70th B’day in Prince George, BC.
    He, and his band were great, but he scolded one of his (2) drummers for some reason.
    He was a singular performer, and I’m very glad I got to see him!

Jamie_h and Jim622 like this.
  3. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The man was a treasure. I seen him once in the 90s. Sat about half the show, but there is no other. Just a single note would scream with authority.

4. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

I saw him back, probably 2003 or 2004, I think. He did this big traveling "festival" show, where there was an entire afternoon of performers, with him being the last act. The reason I went, really, wa the second to last act, was Jeff Beck. Jeff had, I believe, Terry Bozzio and Tony Hymas as his band. So Jeff comes on and does like an hour, I think, great set.

Then BB came on and did his 90 minutes or so and was likewise, awesome. I don't really remember much about it, except for a bit (which I think a lot of old school blues and R&B band leaders used to do), where he stops the music and starts chastising the horn section for messing up. I mean, he did it in a fashion you knew what "part of the show". It was something like where he turns to the horn section and says something like, "Now, wait just a minute, gentlemen, I know of you just messed up", and the horn sections are all giving "No, no, not me, it was him!" facial expressions and hand signals. BB turns his attention to the audience and "apologizes" to us, etc, etc. Then they go into the next song.

The only thing was, I was somehow led to believe Jeff and BB would jam together and the end, and we didn't get that. As I recall, there was no encore at all. I don't know if the reports that they were jamming were incorrect, or if we ran up against a curfew thing or what, but I remember being mildly disappointed when the house lights came on. Still, each guitarist played a great set, and I really enjoyed the night.

5. Jamie_h

Jamie_h TDPRI Member

Had the chance to see him at Billy Bobs in early 2000s. Loved every second.

brookdalebill likes this.
  6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

a friend of mine got his tele autographed by B.B, , imediately went home and hung the tele on the wall never to be played again

W tele.jpg

BB was such an inspiring and humble man , glad to have shared the planet with him!

Jim622, Jamie_h and brookdalebill like this.
  7. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Maybe the man just wasn't up for it. It could be Beck also. I seen him open for Santana, and there were reports that Beck and Santana were finishing the shows together. Both had fantastic sets, but they were never on stage at the same time.

24 track likes this.
  8. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

BB was just a gem. Got to be backstage after he was presented with a gold record. Apparently his first one for a record, might’ve got one for Thrill is gone as a single. I’m told he was almost in tears.

But after a lengthy show he was the one asking who wants an autograph, a pick, a this or that. He’d already worked his butt off for two hours and there he was after the show at 80 plus years old still working. I do have a pic with him . And a pick. I was just amazed after all those decades he was still doing that after the show. Trying to please everyone that was there. A gent.

Cheers,
    Geoff

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.