Awesome Pawn Shop Deal, And Some Questions

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by malibu43, May 21, 2019.

1. malibu43

malibu43 TDPRI Member

So I've never done the whole shop for guitars at a pawn shop thing. We had a rainy morning to kill on Sunday so I found a local shop that looked like they had a lot of guitars and we made a family trip out of it. Got there and they had a TON of guitars. For the most part there were cheap guitars with cheap prices, and some nice guitars with "nice guitar" prices. My primary intention was to look for a good deal on a Les Paul style guitar.

I saw a red telecaster up on the wall with "Fender" on the headstock and no sticker. I asked kid working the Sunday shift how much it was, he looked at it and said "$275, no - $250". So I sat down to play it. It was in new condition with the Fender tag on it still. Said Made In Mexico and "Special Edition" on the back, so I knew $250 was likely a steal. I went back later in the day with cash in hand (after sitting in traffic for 45 mins) to buy it, and I think the kid realized his mistake. He tried to find a price for it in their system, and then tried to call the manager. Ultimately he said he couldn't sell it to me since he didn't know how to price it (and I let him know that I was not happy about that). He told me to call the manager on Monday and see if I can work something out.

So I call back yesterday to ask and the manager says "Oh yea. I heard about that. I had it priced at $500, but since he told you $250, I'll honor it." SWEET! Ran back to the store, and simple as that, walked out with a new guitar (that of course I didn't need).

So here it is. My new Fender Plus Top Telecaster.

[​IMG]

Still tweaking the relief, intonation, and string height to get it where I like it.

On to my question(s) - I already had a Classic Vibe Custom Tele (which is why I wasn't originally looking for another Tele). Right away when I got home I noticed the two guitars sound very different. The CVC is a little quieter, but way more bright and twangy, and a little too harsh if you add much overdrive. The Plus Top, on the other hand, is much warmer, breaks up later, and seems to handle OD much better.

Can anyone help me better understand the pickups that are in these guitars and the difference in tone? I believe I read online that the CVC has A5 pickups. Is the difference in sound just due to A3's in the Plus Top? I've seen some mixed information about whether or not they are "hot" style pickups.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

No tech help from me, just wanted to say what a fantastic finish on that top! Congrats on a sweet deal.

mr newhaven likes this.
  3. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

Beautiful guitar. Congrats!

4. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

Looks nice!

5. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    Wow!

I don't know what's more amazing; The super low price you got or a pawn shop manager willing to make such a deal?!?

Nice score! Congrats!

Alnico-V magnets have a stronger field and are known to be brighter and tighter than Alnico-III, which are comparably looser and mellower. Otherwise wire type and number of winds, as well as baseplate material on the bridge pickup and the neck pickup cover type can all affect tone and output too. MIM Teles also came with ceramic pickups, which can affect perceived output and boldness.

What year does the serial number indicate?

`

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Martin R likes this.
  6. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Nice find. That's a very pretty guitar.
    You did good!

7. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I can't help tech-wise but I like everything I see about that guitar! Nice score and good deal.

8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I love it when a well greased plan comes together !
    nice find and great outcome.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  9. malibu43

malibu43 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the comments and congratulatory posts! I feel like I really lucked out. I've read about people that visit pawn shops on a regular basis trying to find good deals, and I hit the jackpot on my first ever, half-hearted attempt!

After more reading, I think the difference in tone is Alnico magnets in the Classic Vibes and Ceramics in the MIM Plus Top. But if anyone wants to weigh in on that input is still appreciated!

Chino, howardlo and mr newhaven like this.
  10. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

it's always fun stickin' it to the man

Have fun with the guitar.

11. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

My guess is you still made them a $ or 2. They give nothing for pawn items, pennies on teh dollar.

12. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 TDPRI Member

Is a Plus Top body ash under there? In my experience an ash body can give a guitar a woodier, more open throated tone.

Beautiful guitar, by the way!

13. malibu43

malibu43 TDPRI Member

Haven't figured that out yet. One post said these were a limited run, and I can't find much information on it.

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Great deal and beautiful guitar.
    That kid probably gets to make up some difference or lost his job altogether, but that's on him since he's supposed to know the price before quoting a price. Live and learn.
    I was at a store and bought something for $48 dollars. Handed the teenage girl checker $50 and she put it under the tray and gave me $52 dollars in change. I felt sorry for her and told her to look at what I gave her and she realized her mistake and said thanks. It was tempting to walk away, but I knew she was going to come up short at the end of her shift, hopefully I was the only mistake she made that day.;)

15. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Kid who mispriced it was probably fired, and his family is out on the street with
    no food to eat.

But no biggie cause you got a deal on a guitar! :D:D

J/K- congrats it looks great

kevindsingleton likes this.
  16. malibu43

malibu43 TDPRI Member

I didn't get the sense that anyone got fired over it. I sure hope not. I would feel bad if someone did.

I did leave them a great review on google.

Zepfan and boris bubbanov like this.
  17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah!

18. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

If it is like the strats of the same sort, that may be a veneer top--but it's a looker! If it is fancy wood, so much the better.

19. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Here it is:

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.co...plus-top-aged-cherry-burst-pre-order/14650695

Professional guitarists in all musical genres have relied on the Fender® Telecaster® guitar since its early 1950s introduction for its powerful tone and smooth playability. The Standard Telecaster combines the best of old and new, with hotter single-coil pickups, shielded body cavities, medium jumbo frets, six-saddle strings-throughbody bridge, cast/sealed tuners, tinted neck, parchment pickguard and control knobs, and ‘70s-style headstock logo.

Series: Standard
    Body Material: Alder with Flame Maple Veneer Top
    Body Finish: Gloss Polyester
    Neck: Maple, Modern “C”
    Neck Finish: Satin Polyester
    Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5” (241 mm)
    Frets: 21, Medium Jumbo
    Position Inlays: Black Dots
    Nut (Material/Width): Synthetic Bone, 1.650” (42 mm)
    Tuning Machines: Standard Cast/Sealed
    Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
    Bridge: 6-Saddle Strings-Through-Body Tele®
    Pickguard: 3-Ply Parchment/Black/Parchment
    Pickups: Standard Single-Coil Tele® (Bridge/Neck)
    Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
    Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
    Control Knobs: Knurled Flat-Top
    Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome

Telecaster88 likes this.
  20. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Pawn shops by their nature don't loose money on anything! If he let it go for $250.00 you can be certain that the person who pawned it got no more than $150.00 from the shop to secure the loan he defaulted on. Most pawn shop owners I know don't want to hold onto items. They want the money so no matter what the price is on the tag you can always negotiate price. With this in mind, no kid lost his job. Nice deal and nice guitar.

dannyh likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.