Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Award-Session Blues Baby

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ted Witton, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Yes, that's the version on 20% off special offer currently. But you can have any colour as long as it's black, with a Celestion Seventy-80 speaker. I'd prefer other options, and anyway I wish I needed another amp, but sadly I don't... :D

2. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2013
    UK
    Yep, might be tempted if it were not the HH version.

3. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Feb 9, 2009
    London, England
    The HH version is definitely the one that would appeal to me as I prettty much always use a clean tone but I already have a Retrotoned Sessionette-75 and can't imagine how the Blues Baby could sound better than that. I'd love someone to do an AB comparison though.

4. Grateful Ape

Mar 16, 2013
    UK
    I use strats; it's hard to imagine why an amp with 45 'tube-like' watts needs more headroom..

5. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2013
    kent UK
    I have a Blues Baby 45 Watt and it does start to crunch at lower volume, which is what I wanted it to do...

I expect the HH version does n't start to crunch until higher volume, it's for players who get the sound from their pedals.

However, if I was just getting the sound from pedals / multi effects unit only I would be looking at using a power amp and speaker cab set up, maybe going stereo, rather than a small combo....

6. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I'm in exactly the same situation. My 1985 Sessionette with the RetroTone mods and a Celestion G12H-100 is my grab-and-go amp whenever I need an ambient sound, which isn't always. I too would be interested in the comparison. I have lots of amps; only one sounds perceptibly better and it's a bit bigger and a lot heavier, though it's still 100% analogue solid state. That is one advantage of the BB45; it's considerably lighter than the 36 lb. (16.3 kg) Sessionette, though by itself that's hardly a reason to get one.

7. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    My guess is that with the lower front-end gain the volume at which the HH version starts to break up or "crunch" is about the same as with the "normal" version, only with the gain control further round the dial. This would give a broader range of level control in the cleanish sounds, but I don't think the overall maximum available volume would differ much. If this is not so and Stewart's reading this, I know he can't respond directly here but he knows my e-mail address...

8. 19Bentje48

19Bentje48 NEW MEMBER!

Apr 10, 2017
    Netherlands
    I received my BB45HH a few weeks ago. Searching for power, tone and more portability. It got the Celestion Creamback Neo. I owned a Sessionette 75 several years ago. I should never sold it and therefore I contacted Award-Session. I own also 2 tube-amps: a Marble ClubReverb with a Celestion Century Vintage and a Fender Princeton Reverb II with a Eminence Cannabis Rex. I use them all in BigBands. One old-school and one playing more contemporary music with a heavier guitarsound. All 3 amp give me good sounds and enough power. But the BB45HH is my favourite because off its portability.

Little Jay, Tony474 and perttime like this.
  9. 19Bentje48

19Bentje48 NEW MEMBER!

Apr 10, 2017
    Netherlands
    I think you are right. They told me that "making it HH" was just a minor change but with that you can choose the clean level more precisely. And always the master on 12 says Stewart. My Princeton Reverb II works the same way.

Tony474 likes this.
  10. Grateful Ape

Mar 16, 2013
    UK
    Tony, what does the BB weigh?
    I have an old Roland BC60 and I swear it's made of concrete. I'm replacing it with something SS and it's a Session amp, a new BC, Boss Katana or a DV Mark Micro 50.

11. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    Award-Session quote different weights with different Celestion speakers:
    http://www.award-session.com/bluesbaby-complete.html

12 kg with the default Seventy - 80
    15 kg with Classic Lead 80 (doesn't fit in their cabinet with BB45)
    10.6 kg with Creamback NEO and Century Vintage NEO
    About 13,5 kg with V-Type and A-Type.

12. Grateful Ape

Mar 16, 2013
    UK
  13. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Perttime got in ahead of me, but there you go! All of those figures are less than the Sessionette 75, which weighs around 16.3kg/36 lbs with a Celestion G12H-100.

I know what you mean about the BC-60 – I have one too and it's the best-sounding amp of any technology that I've ever used. But you're right; at around 20kg or 44 lbs it is inordinately heavy for a solid-state amp with only one transformer, which I attribute to its sturdy particle-board cabinet.

14. Grateful Ape

Mar 16, 2013
    UK
    Yep..I can handle the weight now, but in ten years...

15. hs0504

hs0504 TDPRI Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Holland
    My BC-60 310 must be around 27kg! But I love it (and I leave it at our rehearsal room....). Btw, I use a blues baby 22 with a cannabis rex for my gigs. I love that combo, loud enough, sounds great and is only around 12 kg. Great for home use also.
    Thinking about ordering the 45HH with the neo speaker.

16. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Yes, I had a BC-60 3x10 too, which had casters fitted. It did sound great, though not much different from the 1x12. The weight was a bit of a problem, but the space it occupied more of one. Eventually I reluctantly sold it (at a tiny profit), but no way will I part with the 1x12 survivor of my pair.

17. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    What kind of overdrive does it get up to when you turn up the gain knob?
    I don't think I'd want an amp that only does clean, but don't need a real high gain amp either.

I think the April special offer is for UK only?

Tony474 likes this.
  18. Grateful Ape

Mar 16, 2013
    UK
    Von a tangent: I've now tried the BC60 and the new BC Artist, and to me they sound very different. The new one is much more valve-like and more versatile. The only downside is the reverb: digital can't match a tank...

19. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I haven't tried the new "big" Blues Cubes but I have used my pal's BC Hot, with which I was fairly impressed. Interesting that you say they sound different from the BC-60. My example of that is, as I've said before, the best-sounding amp I've ever used of any technology, at least in the clean or cleanish sounds I favour. My experience with the BluesBaby has been very limited, so I can't comment meaningfully on that yet. All the same, my RetroToned Sessionette is still my grab-and-go amp if I can't slave directly into the PA.

20. Grateful Ape

Mar 16, 2013
    UK
    I'll put it another way: valve ishness aside, I think the new one is like a tweed and the old more blackface. The new one gives more under the fingers.

Of course, the costly tone capsules purport to drastically change the topology; I have yet to try those.

There are shortcomings; I'd happily ditch the tremolo effect (a bit crap) in favour of an effect level control, like on the old one. And it really wants a genuine reverb tank. But tonally - for me - the new one is a big improvement.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.