Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

AVRI HR trade advice

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bastonge, Apr 24, 2017.

1. bastonge

bastonge TDPRI Member

May 27, 2010
    argentina
    Hi guys

Im considering letting go my 2008 HR 52 RI. I like the guitar, but i do not love it, and i dont like much the mini humbucker neck.

I've just bought a 65 strat AVRI (in fact the new line called pure vintage) and im blown away. I've compared that to previous AVRIs and an EJ strat and i liked the 65 the most. I was a little scared of 7.25 radius but i loved it.

A few days ago, i found a 64 tele from this new pure vintage line, being offered in a forum...7.25 radius, sc neck, and rosewood fretboard which i prefer.

i published mine but im not getting any bids, just trade offers.

For now i have 3 trade offers:

1998 52 RI
    2004 52 RI
    (just a trade, no cash or gear involved)
    and
    CS strat (i need to add some extra cash to get it)

In 98 they changed specs for the 52 RI right? from pics i've seen, the edges are rounder, and seems more orange that mines (which is not an issue)

What i do want to know is about specs, and something specific about production on those years.

the CS strat ... well.. im just considering that because i never owned a CS instrument.

I do appreciate your help.

Both the 98 and 2004 are in mint condition as mine.

Thanks a lot!

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Maybe I'm missing something - if you are blown away by the '64 AV Tele (which is a SUPERB guitar, generally) how would any of the proposed trades help?

3. bastonge

bastonge TDPRI Member

May 27, 2010
    argentina
    :) you got a point mark, i failed to describe it better.

Wont help at all.

The only way to get that 64 is selling the guitar without taking any gear as payment, which is extremely hard to do here.
    As i did not receive any bids nor enquiries (and the asking price is the lowest i found for this guitar), im considering these options just to give the 52 another try with a more common configuration

4. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    How about swapping out the mini bucker for the single coil of your choice with a new pick guard? Won't be 7.25" neck radius, though.

5. absurdocaster

absurdocaster Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2013
    Calgary, Canada
    May be a thought you'd already had but any chance the seller of the 64 is open to a trade for the 52HR?

6. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    He says he is blown away by the 65 AV Strat.

7. KCJonez

KCJonez Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2011
    Toronto
    The AVRI line you like (like your 65 strat) came out around 2012 I think, so the RI 52s you're getting offers on aren't the same as the new line up. There are many threads in this forum articulating the difference, but my point is if you're looking to trade yours for one of the 52 RIs from 98 or 04 and hoping they will be same vibe as the 64 you like or the 65 you bought, they are not the same series. I'm just guessing, but I would think those 52s will probably be closer in feel to your Hot Rod (which you don't love), with the exception of your guitar's 9.5" radius, mini-hum pickup, and jumbo frets.

8. Keymaster13

Keymaster13 Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2016
    Austin, TX
    I'm not sure where u listed your 52 HR, but I just picked up a 2008 in excellent condition and free shipping for 1250 on ebay. Chicago Music exchange has a few on Reverb but having played them in person they have them priced too high IMO considering they have considerable wear (asking 1495).

Maybe try adjusting price down a little, or offer free shipping. I just sold my 2016 AV52 on Reverb and offered free shipping and if you buy the shipping label through them, it was only about 25 bucks plus packing materials, so about 60 total since I didn't have a box.

The AV64 is an amazing player and if that is what you want, you should try to find a way to make it happen. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Edit - I put in the price I paid just so you have a comp. Not sure if it's good or bad value but it's what I paid on the open market so you had something to compare to.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017

9. bastonge

bastonge TDPRI Member

May 27, 2010
    argentina
    im sorry for the confussion, it seems i wasnt pretty clear in the first place.

So far, i had 0 bids for my avri HR. Without selling it, getting the 64 is not an option.

Trading mine for a regular 52, its just a way to give the AVRI old line another try. (looking for specs i like better like the sc neck and smaller frets)

@Keymaster13
    i live in argentina, and prices here are completely different. I published mine for like 2150 USD which is a VERY low price, believe me. For you to have an idea a new AVRI costs like 4.000 USD here, crazy right?

But i cannot agree more with you. I really like the AV64 so i guess will keep trying to sell mine.

10. Keymaster13

Keymaster13 Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2016
    Austin, TX
    I made a terribly narrow assumption, it is humbling how diverse our forum is! Sorry if I offended at all.

The AV64 is worth the wait if you can contain the GAS! I also think a trade for a standard 52 is a worthy option as well. Sometimes it's quite a journey to get what you really want. :)

Best of luck to you!

11. bastonge

bastonge TDPRI Member

May 27, 2010
    argentina
    hey guys, i will trade my hr for a 52 ri.
    Can you guys share any tips to identify a 52ri vs a MIM FSR or a baja body?

Thanks

12. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Sounds like you should spend some of that money on a plane ticket to the US and pick one up in person.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.