Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

August Backing Track

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Aug 3, 2014.

1. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.

2. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Hoodie, a nice idea to embrace the track with those radio noise! And you really are playing in that latinrock style. Like it!

3. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Haha, I liked the extra little radio tuning sound effect! Nice one Hoodie, I could hear Carlo's sound in your playing.

4. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Good job Hoodie. Nice mix as well.

5. HoodieMcFoodie

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.

Thanks for listening and also for the comments. Yeah the radio thing, that was a stoke of luck really. I sometimes amuse myself but flicking around the TV or radio to grab snippets of dialog or music from each channel and then move along to the next channel, so I though I'd try something like that for this track. I got my little transistor radio out from the garage, held it up to the BR600, pressed record and turned the tuning dial slowly.Apart from editing out a few seconds of static, that's basically how it came out on the first attempt.

The basis of the track is mostly one take, but I did some drop-ins early on to fix up a couple of flubs, and I also redid the section from 2:14 to the end.

A big thanks goes out to Mjark for putting the track up. Thanks mate! :D

6. HoodieMcFoodie

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Oh, and I really should add that I enjoyed everyone's posts across all 3 backing tracks this month. I listen to you all and find myself asking "how the heck did that play that". There's some real talent here in this little group, so well done everybody. :D

7. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Nice take, Hoodie! Good blend of Humbuck and single coil, had real Santana flavor.

…and I agree, thanks again to Mellencaster (loved your take on the second backing track, big rock sound, by the way) for the first two tracks and Mjark for the third one (which by the way, your take on that one, Mjark, was inspirational) and I'm also amazed at the level of playing on these tracks.

8. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    Ok, I know it's technically September in most of the world, but, by gum, here in Tejas, I believe I have a bit more that an hour left in August... So, just got back from the movies with the missus and decided to see if I could do something on #3 with the acoustic. Because it's too late to set up a mic, this is "piezo rich" but, what the heck, procrastination is my middle name, and there's always a shortcut that needs taken.
    https://soundcloud.com/keith-rogers-27/tdpri-august-2014-backing-track-3
    EQ needs work. The keyboard-y noise is a looped thing done on acoustic with most of the pedals I could fit on the LogicX pedalboard :). Well, mostly some organ thing.

9. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    September is just a few hours old; no problem. You played some nice lines there. Can´t say nothing about the sound; the speakers of my laptop start at 10 khz or something like this,I can hear what you play, but it allways sounds trebly.

10. HoodieMcFoodie

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Still_fiddlin - Nice use of acoustic guitar, it adds a different flavour to the versions already heard. Yeah it would've been nice to have a bit more bottom end there and also maybe the acoustic a bit more out front in the mix.

11. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I liked the acoustic in that mix sf, it added some ambiance.Out curiosity what steps do you use to record your guitar in LogicX ? Just to give an idea what I use is a Roland Duo Capture interface into Guitar Rig 5 and I record mine right in Guitar Rig through the loop machine. I can add as many tracks over the original track as I want then save as a wav file or a multiple layer tracks . To edit it, I use Audacity , lately I've been using multiple layer tracks to get a better balance output.I've used Reaper but it sucks the life out my computer when I tried multiple guitar tracks using Vst amp plugins .

12. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    I'd like to say I have a process, but I don't. I've tried 1 mic, 2 mics, mic + pickup, just pickup, you name it. The best sound I've gotten was probably just a single mic, but that was before I realized how hard it could be to get a good acoustic sound, so didn't really pay attention to what I was doing :). Unfortunately we live near a small airport and live micing of acoustic is hit and miss because of the buzz of Cessnas and such.

I go into an M-Audio C600 interface that I've had a few years. It gave me one problem a while back but luckily I had bought it at Sweetwater with a free extra year warranty, and it was repaired.

I set up Logic projects with audio files on a separate, external disk. I've found it's not possible to get to even 4 tracks with "plugins" if trying to run on the system drive - just starts running out of resources, but the external drive works fine. You might try that with Reaper, if you aren't already. Unless you've got a crapload of memory, the system is going to start swapping to run the processing and plugins, and if you have the audio I/O going to the same drive, it's just going to bog down. That's my experience anyway.

I could never get latency under control in Audacity/Windows. My MacBook never has any problems - well, sometimes it comes really bad out of the blue if I've left the system up for days, but it's always solved by a restart of LogicX or occasionally the whole computer.

I do add tracks but can't think of a time I've had more than a half dozen. Bass, some drum track or 2, a couple guitars, vocals. I just bounce down directly to stereo from Logic. If I do any "mastering" I typically just apply a plugin on the master out, though sometimes I create a separate project and just take the unmastered stereo output and apply the compression, etc. stuff on that. But, that's only been a few times - for anything quick, I just tinker with the master out.

13. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Acoustic guitar was a good idea. Nicely done.

14. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    If procrastination is your middle name, we must be distant relations…punctuality doesn't' seem to be a leading trait of the musically minded.

Anyway, great take! Brought to my mind, almost right off the bat, Steely Dan's "Do It Again" - kept waiting for the iv-v-VImaj7-v turn ( as in Go back Jack, do it again…)

Enjoyed it! thanks for posting!

15. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Dec 18, 2011
    Maryland
    Wow this thread got big this month. I was battling computer problems since the last week of July and only checked in once along the way.

Had to buy a new laptop and reload etc.. I think I got most everything dialed in and working again.

Anyway recorded a take of the first backing track for August. Wanted to get this in even though it is September 1st. Not much of a country player as evident in the track below.

https://soundcloud.com/jjpish68/telecaster-forum-august

16. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Nice Joe! Your guitar sounded big and twangy , perfect for country!

17. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Jjpish68, your playing style on this may not be the classical country style (who am I to judge that), but I allways found it interesting if people deliver with something opposite to expectations or at least deviant. When listening to yours, the term "Beat Club meets country" came to my mind. Whatever, you put your mark on the track, and that is good.

18. charvel74

charvel74 TDPRI Member

Sep 12, 2014
    CA
    Sounds awesome

19. charvel74

charvel74 TDPRI Member

Sep 12, 2014
    CA
    Ok I am new to this and id like to try a few tunes. I currently have garage band on my ipad with the sonic port from line 6 as my means for recording for now. How can I save the backing tracks so I can play along with them in Garage band?
    Thanks Mark

20. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    charvel74 I sent you pm

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.