Auditioning

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I got a call from a friend last night. He's going to be auditioning for a band next weekend. He plays guitar backing up belly dancers in an ensemble and has played with a small group that plays in Old Folk's homes. He's never played in a rock band before. The group he's hoping to play with does '80's and '90's covers. They have bass, drums, keys and female singer. They recently lost the guitarist. He knows none of them, it's a "first date" with strangers.

I told him to learn the songs as well as he can and go in and nail it and not worry about getting the gig or not. But if you were advising someone like my friend, what would you suggest? I'm going to refer him to this thread.

2. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Holic

Keep the volume low and politely ask, "Was that loud enough? Or should I turn up slightly?"

3. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

If they haven't already done so, he should ask them to provide a list of maybe 5-6 songs, and focus on learning those as well as possible. Even better if they can either give or point him to audio/video of them performing those songs, so he knows whatever arrangement tweaks they may have made.

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I got as far as belly dancers...

dan1952, nojazzhere and StrangerNY like this.
  5. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

oh my.

dan1952 likes this.
  6. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Some people can fake music really well. It's a gift.

Others have to immerse themselves in it for a while in order to really feel it and play it convincingly.

Maybe your friend is gifted?

7. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Has he seen them play? Perhaps they have a website, facebook or Youtube presence that he could check out to get a feel of how they operate and how he might best fit in, or at least show that he has taken an interest in them.

8. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Good point. If the band hasn't given him a solid set of goals to meet in the audition, how's he going to know what they want (and how are they gonna know if they've got their guy)? I'd be lost, too.

Other than that - be on time and in tune, listen more than talk, watch your (his) volume. The usual stuff.

- D

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Like others have said.....list of half a dozen specific songs, the keys they play them in, maybe the chord changes to make sure you're on the same page, and how the band's version differs from the original. While I'm not TERRIBLE at going in cold, I WAY prefer being prepared and knowing what's going on. The better prepared you are, the less "nerves" will affect your outcome.

StrangerNY likes this.
  10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Yep... +1 on watching any videos or getting recordings they may have and asking for a list of tunes and their keys / arrangements to prepare for playing.

Are they not gigging? Could go along and watch / talk if they are.

11. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

Leave your clip on tuner on when you start playing and then in the middle of your first solo kick your amp over and dive down on your knees while playing.

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  12. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

Learn the songs as close to "note for note" as you can, dress nice (dark jeans, black shirt and nice shoes), and don't smoke or drink before the audition. Be friendly and open to criticism if the other members offer you any. Best of luck to your friend Paul in CO

modavis99 likes this.
  13. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Female singers can be high maintenance....just sayin'

Brush up on the songs she sings and ask her if she belly dances. Humor usually goes over well.

14. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

This stuff probably cants be faked. My bass player and drummer frankly fake their way through a lot of our material. The bass player is a better player but his musical history is very narrow...so nearly never knows the song NOR listens to it to immerse himself.

Drummer tends to over play and worse, speed up.

Don’t be like this.

getbent and nojazzhere like this.
  15. Paul in Colorado

Thanks, guys! I'll direct him to this thread.

16. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

If nerves are a problem, focusing on deeper breathing could help. I like to eat some yogurt before stressful performances to my stomach is rock solid. If my mind is racing in an unhelpful way I’ll distract myself my counting backwards from 100. You definitely don’t wanna drink coffee or anything of the sort beforehand, the audition will provide all the adrenaline you will need.

Yea, getting a list of no more than 5-6 songs from them would be really helpful. By song 3 everyone usually knows how the audition is going. Put those tunes in a playlist and wear them out.

Yup, I’d check their website and YouTube for videos of them playing. Might even wanna show up dressed in a complimentary style (without overdoing it).

Rock bands....sometimes swagger can compensate for technique. Try not to telegraph your mistakes. At least make a face like you are holding a giant slug if you must react. =)

Learning the songs...You won’t want sheets on stage for a gig, but for an audition I might be inclined to take notes (and write down questions). Make sure you have memorized or notated the roadmaps of the tunes. Intros, Verses, Choruses, Solos, Bridges and Outros. Gotta get em in the right order.

On your solos...play enough original stuff that it is creative but throw in some high points from the original solos so that everyone knows that you know the solo without being behooven to it.

Don’t run a bunch of gear that you are not familiar with. Ya might wanna make a checklist of any gear you do bring so you don’t forget it. It is always really awkward when somebody forgets to bring a critical piece of gear to an audition.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    GGardner likes this.
  17. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If it's a gigging '80s rock band, they should have five or so songs they want to hear you play, and they should have recordings for you to study. Chord charts is probably asking too much, but my ex-band always had them (didn't use charts once learned, but kept in books so if a question arose about an arrangement or chord etc., we could look it up).

18. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

as stated above, 5 or 6 songs MAX. Learn them then go see if he fits in with them and if they fit in with him. Its a two way street.

Obviously show up neat , clean, prepared, talk , listen, learn what they expect from him. Its a job interview. Playing the songs on guitar is only a part of the big picture. Fitting in personality wise is a much bigger part of the puzzle. He wouldn't be going to an audition if he couldn't play guitar. that's a given.

More often than not, people who join bands , be it with friends or even NON friends think it's all about playing the music. They overlook the obvious.

does he fit the social landscape with the other band members because if he doesn't, it will be a very short lived position in the band.

bands hardly ever break up because they can't play a song, they break up because they can't play a song together.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 7:09 AM
    Marc Morfei and Plumber like this.
  19. Allan Allan

Allan Allan TDPRI Member

It's better to know 3 songs front to back and upside down than to be able to "get through" 6 songs.

20. Paul in Colorado

Well, he had the audition, but it dosen't look like he got the gig. I think it was a mismatched skill set and he got in a little over his head. But it was a good learning experience for him and he appreciated the shared insight you guys gave.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.