Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Audio Guild amp schematics?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by mojo2001, Feb 7, 2015.

1. swellsound

swellsound TDPRI Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Christiansburg, VA
    oops- double post.

2. swellsound

swellsound TDPRI Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Christiansburg, VA
    Hi robrob, I don't know if it's bias-based or not. I never noticed the bias being modulated but I'll have to take a closer look! And technically it's vibrato, not tremolo, so I'm not sure if that can be achieved with bias modulation but this thing is a bit of a mystery. I started reading the patent last night but didn't get far before sleep set in :lol:

3. swellsound

swellsound TDPRI Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Christiansburg, VA
    Agreed about the temps inside the amp. I used the heat gun just to see if the problem changed with temperature (kind of the opposite of using chiller to isolate a faulty component). When it did effect a change (no pun) I thought maybe the caps had drifted over time. Of course, trying to focus the heat on a single component was not so easy, so it was hard to tell exactly which component(s) were most affected by the heat. Anyway, checked a few of the caps that appeared to be in the line of fire of the heat and they both tested pretty much right on the money (.0047).

This made me question the transistors since the beta would be affected by temperature. I had tested all the transistors before and they were all functional, but maybe they were marginal? Replaced one of them that seemed to be most sensitive to heat and... YES! the intensity/depth of modulation jumped up! Replaced one other one and it improved even more! BTW, I used 2N4401s to replace the 2N3341s. P.S. BTW, the transistors are all 2N3341, even though they are color-coded with either a blue, red, or white dab of paint on top. I wonder if this was some sort of sorting process to find transistors with the right characteristics (hfe?) for the different parts of the vibrato circuit? Similar to how the varistor-based circuit required a lot of sorting to find varistors with the right characteristics?

Ahhhh :)

robrob likes this.

4. fester

fester TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2017
    born of fire
    try this

Attached Files:

5. Unpossible

Unpossible TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Cal
    sounds like these amps don't use the varistors.
    does the vibrato still sound the same?
    and what happens when you plug in extension speakers?
    thanks

6. fester

fester TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2017
    born of fire
    I really don't have experience with Magnatones, but I have two of the big Audio Guild 12/8 amps, and the vibrato is killer. Every one of them sounds different though. The two I have now are the second and third ones I've owned, all identical, and each one sounds different.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.