Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Audacity - Line 6 UX-1...latency on new laptop

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by tapollok, Feb 13, 2018.

1. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa
    Guys, I've Been away a long time.

Recently lost a desktop hard drive and bought a used Dell Precision m4700 'till I can spend time cutting thru the jungle of new computer choices.
    (Also had a glitch downloading backups from Carbonite and lost EVERYTHING I ever recorded as well as live video performances). :mad:
    Sorry for the fluff...just had to share :cry:

I loaded Audacity and Line 6 software to do some recording. Never had an issue before.

Issue is:

I can import an mp3 backing track and play it.
    When I record a new track ...the pitch shifts up a step and the tempo speeds only on the new track. The "effects" settings are at zero...not set to increase either.

I scoured the Web looking for answers to no avail.

Any Audacity users run up against this? Suspect an Audacity setting or crappy computer specs?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    Offhand I say make sure your sample rates all agree (44.1kHz since you're starting with an MP3 would be my suggestion) in both the system settings and Audacity preferences. And make sure the playback speed slider is at 1.00x. Other than that it sounds a little odd.

3-Chord-Genius and davidchagrin like this.

3. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa
    Thanks....even if I open a new file and just record a few bars on a stereo track...on playback, the pitch steps up a whole tone and tempo increases.

Playing is a luxury for me right now and I just don't have time to ferret out what was once automatic.

Not wining....maybe lamenting.

4. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Yeah, it sounds like you have sample rate disagreement between your DAW and the interface somehow.

davidchagrin likes this.

5. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa
    Thx...looks that way.
    Upon more web searching, line 6 dumped those settings and let Windows control them in an update a few generations ago.
    Users are not happy.

"Since some number of drivers ago, there is no longer a Line 6 configuration setting for sampling rate and bit depth -- you have to use the Windows 7 (my OS) setting under sounds in the Control Panel. Well, that is settable and all, but setting it there doesn't make it change to that. IT ONLY CHANGES ONCE YOU "TEST" THE DEVICE in that same Windows Sound control panel

After you leave Pod Farm or Gearbox and come back, it is right back at 44/16"

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

6. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Line 6 SW meaning Pod Studio 2, right? Win 7 or Win 10? What's your interface, Pod, UX, the old GuitarPort?

Here are my settings for Audacity 2.2.1 and UX2 / PS2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just tested, these give me no latency or other weird behavior. I've not tested with other sample rates or formats as I don't use Auda that much... it's been really just a backup for Audition which I used since 90s. That one did have a severe latency problem.

If you can't get Audacity working, check out Reaper, https://www.reaper.fm/. It's not freeware, but if you don't add a license after tryout is over it'll just turn into nagware, a reminder every time you start it. I dabbled around with it for a couple of years and for me it's definitely worth the $60 I had to invest to get rid of the nag.

7. Peregrino69

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Um...

... I don't really get this. Carbonite is a cloud service. Your download might be botched, but what happened to the actual data in the cloud?

Reason for asking - I was just yesterday looking at Carbonite. Unlimited space for $6/month seems more than reasonable. But if my data isn't safe it's not much of a backup service...

8. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa
    Thx Peregrino...

My settings mirror yours.

Win 10
    Studio UX1

I bought a book on recording 5 years ago which came with a Reaper disk. Paid $50 to unlock (at the time), but never had time to learn Reaper. For my needs, Audacity was adequate and quick.

9. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa
    With Carbonite, you choose how to transfer data to a new computer for backup.
    For a host of reasons...I chose wrong. I didn't want to confuse duplicate file names between new computer and Carbonite backup, so I started a new backup if the new computer.
    They dump whatever you don't download from their servers after 30 days....gone.
    My mistake.

10. Peregrino69

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Oh man that's painful! Thanks for the heads-up, have to be careful.

I had a 4TB backup HDD on my desk. Went to Beijing for 2 weeks. Took a LOT of pictures... something like 300 from the Great Wall alone. Came back home, uploaded them to my BU drive. Next wkend started going through them and of course that's when the BU drive controller died. And wisely I had formatted the SD cards for re-use... lesson learned. Never delete the SDs, have multiple backups... that's why I'm looking for a cloud solution.

I assume you've already tried the other available interfaces and sampling settings? If nothing else is working I'd do a complete uninstall (a bit of a bother finding all those leftover folders and registry entries...) and a clean reinstall.

Reaper looks MUCH more intimidating than it actually is. After I put my mind to it, it took seriously less than half an hour before I was recording. One of the cool things is that I can assign any of the POD Studio FX to the tracks... or even use the entire effin' POD Studio AS an FX if I want. Neat :) It also has more audio system options including ASIO.

Reaper 5y ago is an entirely different beast compared to Reaper today. Since you've already paid it, you should have lifetime upgrades and all that good stuff... I really recommend testing it properly.

11. Peregrino69

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Had to have a peek at POD Studio settings. When I open ToneDirect settings, it shows driver operating at 44100 / 16. However when I go to Sound Control Panel and check the UX2 Properties / Recording / Advanced, it shows 2ch 16bit 48000 just as I've set it.

12. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa
    Thanks....just checked quickly and see the same....will play with settings later.

13. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa
    Well, after trying to alter the settings in both ....Audacity is FUBAR.

It takes forever to open, then says two instances are trying to run...have to reboot.
    When I hit record, it says host not available please select (paraphrasing).

I uninstalled/ reinstalled to no avail.

In UX1, when I try to change sample rate to 44100/16....error mssg reads "not compatible with this device" (paraphrasing).

Good times.

14. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Well that sucks. I’m neither a PC guy nor an Audacity guy, so I can’t help guide you on further specifics unfortunately. I recall reading something about the Line 6 devices having a setting for following the active device, but I can’t find that page now of course.

If the line 6 is stuck at 48khz I’d just upsample the backing tracks you want to use to the same sample rate, and change the sample rate in Audacity to match.

15. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2011
    Mississippi

16. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa
    Guys...Thanks for taking time to give input....but it's a lost cause.
    Audacity takes 3 minutes to launch....usually says "can't run multiple instances "...won't recognize UX1.
    It's a trifecta of crap between computer, UX1, & Audacity.
    I used Audacity for the simplicity making soundtracks for marketing & training videos.
    I haven't had guitar time in years.

I downloaded Reaper a while ago and 2 minutes after downloading, I recorded guitar thru the UX1.

I'LL press on and delve into Reaper as time permits.

In the words of my grandson, "That's a 'lil bit sad"

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I didn't read any of the replies, but if anyone mentioned sample rates, they're right.

18. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Lol

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

19. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2014
    Isle-of-Wight
    If you can possibly move to an imac then these problems will probably disappear. Expensive outlay but logic is cheap.
    Anyhow, thats what i found lately.

Ok Eddie.

20. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    sample rates. I had the same kind of problem. I play exactly right, but my guitar somehow winded off time after a few seconds.

tapollok likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.