Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Auction at Threadgills - some interesting concert posters & photos

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teletimetx, Dec 5, 2018.

1. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Just sort of a PSA - one of the Threadgills locations in Austin is closing and the owners are putting up a number of the memorabilia, posters and neon signs and such for sale at an auction house. Freddie King, Doug Sahm, Janis Joplin, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Frank Zappa, Leon Russell and many others, etc.

Here's some verbage I got in an email from them:

Threadgill's World Headquarters Auction
    December 8, 2018 (Sat) 10:00am

The Threadgill's World Headquarters Auction will take place Saturday, December 8th, featuring Eddie Wilson's collection of Armadillo World Headquarters posters, art, Austin music memorabilia, & antique neon beer signs that cover the walls of Threadgill's restaurant. Plus some AWHQ concert posters and memorabilia from Eddie Wilson's private collection that have never been offered for sale. Doors at 8am, auction starts promptly at 10am.

A preview is available on Friday, December 7th, noon - 6pm. For more information and a preview of items, visit burleyauction.com

more details about process on the auction website - you can bid online; if you just want to look at some of the stuff, here's a link:

https://burleyauction.hibid.com/lots/?miles=50

2. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Ooooooohhh... :)

That shot of Doug Sahm with the Big Red and Lone Stars is one of my all-time favorites.

p.s. Why are they doing this? Are they in financial trouble?

teletimetx likes this.
  3. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX

yeah, Doug Sahm!

the original location up in N. Austin is still going - I don't actually know if there are financial troubles or not, I just heard that the rents in the part of town where the World HQ location is have skyrocketed and the numbers don't work at that location. The skyline looks so different in the last ten years and per square foot rents go right up with the sky scrapers...

4. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    Thanks, Teletimex. Most of this is lookin' a bit rich for my humble decorating budget, but I've passed the word along to a local guy I know of who's got a collection of this sort of thing.

teletimetx likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Cool!
    I’m happy and proud to say I went there (the AWHQ), and played there often.
    I started going in 1973, when I was 16 and got my first car, a groovy 56 Chevy.
    I played the beer garden and main stage with my band Dogs At Play, starting in 1977.
    Our bass player/singer Woody, girl singer Joanie, lead singer/rhythm player Frank, and lead guitarist Dee (poster artist Guy Juke/Blackie White) all worked there.
    Only drummer Johnny and I worked elsewhere.
    It was a wonderful, joyous place!
    I’ll check it out on Saturday.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    teletimetx and smartsoul72 like this.
  6. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    Interesting times. I wonder if we'll ever see anything like it again, at least in our own days.

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Ancient history, methinks.
    Young people are motivated by entirely different forms of entertainment.
    Time marches on, it’s their world now.

loco gringo likes this.
  8. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    I'm not giving up that easily. ;-)

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    You didn't buy enough beer!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.