Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Attenuators

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Paul Jenkin, Aug 18, 2017.

1. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    DrZ with a potato up its exhaust pipe?
    Colossal waste of money? Im just playing devils advocate here. Maybe its a toy you will enjoy. Maybe not.
    Why not sell it and buy an amp thats appropriate to your situation? Plus ask yourself if by the time you start playing out in venues where you can crank that much power, is your taste in tone going to be the same? Or will you be ready for a completely different amp?

2. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2015
    ma
    I have had several thru the decades,starting with the boston strangler in the seventies..the tom scholtz thing and a dr.z brake. Matching the impedence is critical. The z brake likes 8ohms and does well at taming an amp. Trying to tame a 100 watt or 50 watt marshall and retain the tone is futile. Taking a fender combo down a few decibels is very doable. They do best when you just want to shave a little off. Crushing it too much sounds crappy and wears out tubes fast. Just get the right amp for the job and you will be better off.

3. Tootle

Tootle Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2015
    Pacific Northwest USA
    I use a Jet City Jettenuator at home. Indispensable, & sweet, clear tone; doesn't sound like a damp blanket like other attenuation options I've tried. I also make use of its speaker cab resistance matching & line out functions. And it's inexpensive on sale.

I'm not trying to tame a Plexi tho, i'm just quieting an AC10c1 to bedroom levels while retaining a modicum of its gig-volume power tube behavior & tonal response.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    ultra80096 likes this.

4. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Thanks for the additional comments, folks.

I was discussing this with a mate of mine (who I haven't seen for a while and is a serious guitar-head). he made the comment that the Dr Z is probably a bit powerful for a back bedroom combo and I might benefit from a smaller amp. Anyway, he was getting rid of a s/hand Marshall DSL5c for something more powerful - so it's now in my house! It's 5 watts but has a 1 watt setting and sounds very nice (though not quite as nice as the Dr Z, in my opinion).

King Creole and robrob like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.