Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

At last! (DiMarzio True velvets)

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by kupasa, Jul 15, 2013.

1. kupasa

kupasa Tele-Meister

I bought my G.E. Smith Tele half a year ago and I was very happy with everything but the O.V. pick-ups. They sounded bland and lifeless. My Baja actually became my no 1 guitar and my GE started to collect dust. I couldn't justify having an expensive guitar not being played so I decided to try a pair of Bardens and while they sounded quite good they were not for me. Then I remembered the excellent DiMarzio true velvet neck pick up I had in a Highway One Tele a couple of years ago and I was able to locate and install a used set and now I am more than satisfied.

There's not much written about True Velvets so I'll try to share my impressions.

They sound like velvet. Clear and smooth. No ice-pick. The neck pick-up has an awesome jazz-tone and the bridge manage to be smooth and has enough high end for twang.

They are very nice and my GE has reached it's full potential. My search has ended. I feel content.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  2. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I love a happy ending!

3. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

Howdy,

Glad to hear that you are digging the DiMarzio True Velvets. On a related note, I'm quite happy with DiMarzio's Twang Kings, a similar P/U.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Good to know....I am also very happy with my Area T's with the hot in the bridge....no reason to change a good thing :grin:

6. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

thx for review..you dont hear much about those

7. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

What are these supposed to be, a velvet hammer clone?

8. kupasa

kupasa Tele-Meister

I don't know. Never heard of the velvet hammer.

From the Dimarzio website:

"Like the Twang King™ Bridge model, our sonic goal was to combine the best tonal qualities of several Broadcaster® and Telecaster® pickups from the '50's and early '60's. The difference is the "size" of the sound. The True Velvet™ T Bridge is bigger, and there's greater dynamic range, from soft to loud."

9. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Velvet Hammers were made by Red Rhodes. Red was a legendary Pedal Steel player and was also legendary in pickup and amp design. He made pickups for James Burton and Clarence White and then for the public at large.

PS - There is an article about Red is on Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Rhodes

10. kupasa

kupasa Tele-Meister

Thank you for this. As far as I know True Velvets are similar to nocasters but there's hard to find any kind of information.

11. Jeff R

Jeff R Tele-Holic

Thanks for the review. I went to order a set and was told they had been discontinued, so I picked up a set of Rio Grandes instead.
    Turns out I like them but still very interested in the True Velvets. Oh well, I suppose another "assembly" is in order.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.