Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

At it again...this time it's an EVH Frankenstrat

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by John Nicholas, Dec 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    It's not that I don't think women like Rush, it's more like I rarely meet "super fan" women. I sort of considered myself a Rush fan, but you know far, far more then I do... most likely due to the fact that I'm a more "fair weathered" fan!

My illusion is you got to see the Rush documentary. Did you see it in a theater?

That clip of EVH looks like it was shot on another night... they probably messed something else and put that in, thinking most folks would never see it. After multiple viewings it took until the 5th or 6th time to notice it!

This is Spinal Tap was a very low-budget film. It's not surprising that there are many "goofs". Some of the Rob Reiner interviews talk about how they shot the film... there is about 180 hours of footage!!

Cat MacKinnon likes this.

2. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Out of curiosity, which model did you buy?

3. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    WOW! That's a fantastic deal!!

My only issue is the ebony fingerboard... not really a fan when they're on EVH styled guitars! ;)

4. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2011
    Colorado
    I did see it of course, but not in the theater. I thought about going, but I just don't like going to movie theaters very much. I'm a huge Rush fan as far as the music goes, but I'm not one of those people that collects all the memorabilia or goes to every single show (although in hindsight I really wish I HAD gone to more of their shows! You'd probably be shocked at how few times I actually saw them live.)

Yeah, I was originally planning on either maple or rosewood and more of a "classic" Pacer look (w/ beak headstock) rather than a strictly EVH-inspired one, so the ebony wasn't a deal killer. Besides, there was no way I could pass up that price! I'm really looking forward to it and frankly I'm enjoying the idea of having something other than a standard Fender-style headstock for the first time in a good 15 years. Don't get me wrong, I love the Fender headstock shapes, but it'll be nice to switch it up a little. And if worse comes to worse I can always just go all-black because I love black guitars!

John Nicholas likes this.

5. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    The only time I got to see Rush was in 1981 during the Moving Pictures tour... so I get it. In the same boat as you when it comes to memorabilia and other stuff....

In fact I never ask for autographs or selfies when I meet anyone well-known. If the person I'm meeting is cool, then it's an opportunity to get to know them as a person, if time allows... so no matter how much a band, musician or celebrity means to me, no collecting of anything for me.

Did you get your neck yet?

You really inspired me to look into buying a neck, so I found this on e-bay.

[​IMG]
    Get this, it cost me $35.13 including shipping from China!!!

You know this is going to be great quality at that price!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161884356540?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Seriously, for that price if nothing else it will make a great template....

Of course, now it's off to the races... since there will be two necks, it's easy enough to make another body. Right?

Since it was so difficult to decide whether to make a "replica" of Franky, or to make one as if Eddie knew what he was doing (sort of...) at this moment in time, I'm gonna make TWO!!

:cool:

MM73 and Zepfan like this.

6. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Yeeehaw!! 2 Frankensteins coming up!

7. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Oh, I totally forgot to update! So I ordered the neck from AP, but a day or two later the order was cancelled by them (my fault, I'll explain.) I had a few Visa gift cards from Xmas but AP's site doesn't allow splitting payments. Instead, I bought two AP gift certificates, because I knew I could apply multiple gift codes to a single order. Well, apparently AP's system flagged that as fraud (probably because I bought both certificates in a row and then placed the neck order shortly afterwards. In hindsight I should've known that would've happened, but oh well.) Nothing lost though, I just had to wait for all that stuff to be credited back to those cards so I could figure out a new plan. In the meantime, I thought about the fact that this was going on my main guitar and I'm rather clumsy, and I started realizing it might not be the best idea: hockey stick headstocks are a little more prone to breakage, especially with clumsy people like me who always seems to be bumping my guitars into stuff and knocking them over. I ended up going back to my original plan and ordered an Allparts SRO neck from Stratosphere instead: Strat head (which I plan on "beaking" ala Kramer or Suhr), rosewood fretboard, 12" radius, 22 jumbo frets. Basically the same specs, just a different fretboard material and headstock shape. This is the neck I'd been planning on buying for the past few months.

I'm still going to Floyd the whole thing out. I love the Gotoh Wilki VS100 trem, but I'm just kind of tired of dealing with tuning issues, even minor ones. Everything's setup great and it'll play fine for a month, then something gets worn down or whatever, and one or two strings stop cooperating. I'm not laying on the trem like Vai or SRV, but I guess I use it just heavily enough to run into tuning problems and it annoys me. Locking tuners and a GraphTech nut certainly help, but they're just not quite as effective as a Floyd for how I play, I guess.

Next up will be a Gotoh licensed Floyd, Arkansas MusicWorks has the complete kit (including locking nut) for $125 shipped, and the Gotoh Floyds are outstanding for the price (there's a reason Suhr and a few other makers switched to them over the past couple years.) I will have to route the nut shelf myself (no big deal), but this way I can still use the neck in a non-locking configuration until I get the Floyd hardware. Hopefully in the spring I'll also get a Pacer-style body from KnE, so I'll basically end up with a modern version of a Pacer Imperial.

I still really want to do a banana headstock guitar one of these days, but I just don't think I want it on my main guitar. Besides, I kind of came to realize that if I was going to do that, an all-maple neck really is the way to go.

8. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Well it's been a while since this thread got an update!!

Too many projects, very limited time, means some cool projects get shifted onto the back burner... this is one of them.

Well, the Chinese neck heel was far too oversized for the body and the neck is not the greatest, so it was back to working on the original neck. One issue with this neck is the headstock was HUGE!! It looked comically large!

So the one use for the Chinese neck was for a headstock template!

IMG_1712.JPG

IMG_1454.JPG

Drilled the headstock for the Fender tuners that have been sitting in my parts box for years....

IMG_1455.JPG

IMG_1456.JPG

Drilled the holes for the locking nut and traced the lines for the neck carve.

After hours of rasping, filing and sanding, the neck was carved!!

IMG_1458.JPG

MM73 and guitarbuilder like this.

9. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    So back to finishing the guitar....

First I painted it white, because I had read somewhere that it was easier to do it this way. Then I looked through the paint templates and thought it was a dumb idea! So I painted black over the white!!

Then I didn't like the idea of the screw holes for the pickguard or 6 screw tremolo, so I glued in some dowels and used bondo to smooth it all out.

IMG_1817.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

Then I painted it black again...

This is going to have a lot of paint on it!!

Once the black was on, it was time to start the taping process...

IMG_1822.JPG

I had a bunch of research materials hanging around... just in case...

IMG_1820.JPG

Taping, taping, taping... hey. who's that bald dude in the lower right corner...

Then it was time to spray the white over the black with all the tape on it... somehow no photos were taken, so you only get photos of the body after the tape was removed!!

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

10. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    More for your viewing pleasure!

IMG_1825.JPG

IMG_1826.JPG

Had to do the headstock too... which I took great liberties with... meaning I didn't have a template and just made it up as I went along...

IMG_1827.JPG

The guitar sat like this for months!

Since it was starting to get cold in these here parts and only a few days of nice enough weather to paint, last night the taping process began anew....

IMG_2062.JPG

Damn... there is a bunch of tape on this guitar...

***WARNING***

Photo taken in daylight...

IMG_2072.JPG

IMG_2073.JPG

Mat UK likes this.

11. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Even more photos...

IMG_2074.JPG

Oh yeah... that pesky headstock...

IMG_2075.JPG

After the hours of taping and taking photos it was time for the red paint...

The only place for me to paint is in the great outdoors... so that's where it was done... at least there was sun today!!

IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2082.JPG

IMG_2083.JPG

There is something very strange about this step... you don't really see what you've done... it's all just red. Worse there is no way you want to redo that crazy finish!

Once it's on... it's staying on!!

Mat UK likes this.

12. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Time for the unveiling... only let the paint dry enough to the touch, then remove the tape, if you leave it on too long, it will be very difficult to remove... wait until I try to uncover the fingerboard that's been taped up for months!! Yikes!

Hey, it looks like a Frankenstrat!!

IMG_2088.JPG

IMG_2090.JPG

Even the headstock looks pretty good...

.... yes I know, the red paint bleed under the tape... it has to look at least a little bit like Eddies backyard paint job!!

IMG_2086.JPG

Whoa... now why would John leave a bit white space on the headstock?? What is he crazy??

IMG_2085.JPG

Yup....

IMG_2087.JPG

Then I sprayed some clear on everything, not enough to bury the tape line ridges, just enough to keep it looking a bit shiny and to slightly smooth the ridges...

IMG_2092.JPG

MM73, Barncaster, whoanelly15 and 3 others like this.

13. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    The body really does look pretty good...

IMG_2093.JPG

IMG_2095.JPG

I'll let this dry for a while, then it'll be time to assemble the thing.

And no, it will not be reliced!! Everything will be new and shiny chrome!!

:lol::lol::lol:

14. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    You show this to us because you invite us to do some lawn care, right. What’s with the brown spots? :D:D:D:D

Ok more serious this came out really nice. Eddie would be proud of you!!

15. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    We don't water the lawn here, because the water is so expensive... if it rains, it gets watered. If not, brown spots... besides who has time for lawn care when you could be building guitars instead!!

You think Ed would be made because I didn't buy the $25,000. Fender replica??

I_build_my_own likes this.

16. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Fascinating process. Well done sir. That looks great!

17. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Thank you!

18. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Great result

19. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Thank you Mat!!

20. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.