Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Assembling a Partscaster - '67/'68 Fender Esquire!

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by RockDude4492, Mar 14, 2017.

1. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2017
    New York, NY
    Hello all!

First post here, wanted to share the build I'm in the process of assembling.

A little background, I've always been a huge Telecaster/Esquire fan, mainly due to the Yardbirds and the first Zeppelin album. I've owned Strats and I currently own a Gibson Firebird, but there's always been something about a Tele that I keep coming back to. I've always really wanted an Esquire and never had the means to do anything about it. Until now, of course!

Initially, I was considering purchasing a Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster and turning that into an Esquire, but after considering all the stuff I wanted to change out, I realized it would cost about the same to assemble everything from Fender or Fender-licensed parts, with which I could ultimately create the exact guitar I wanted, which, in this case, is a transitional '68 Fender Esquire. What sealed the deal though was a picture I saw on here of a member's '69 Olympic White Esquire with Rosewood fretboard. After seeing that, I knew I had to make one of those.

I've already started purchasing the parts and I'm happy to say that by the end of this week, I should have or have ordered all the parts I need for this. Here's what I'm getting:

-Genuine Fender SS Telecaster Body Alder in Olympic White
    -Fender licensed AllParts '60s Telecaster neck with Rosewood Board (7.25" radius)
    -Fender '62 Custom Bridge Assembly
    • Initially I was planning on picking up a '67 Custom Shop Tele bridge pickup, but that went out of stock, and since I needed a vintage bridge with '60s saddles, this worked out well and cost me about the same as the CS '67 pickup alone, though it may not be as "vintage accurate" to '67/'68 specs as I was planning, though it should be close and ultimately sound great.
    -Fender CTS 250K Split Shaft Pots (2)
    -Fender 3-way switch
    -Luxe Radio 64-70 Esquire cap kit
    • Ceramic Discs and Carbon Comp Resistor. Not sure if anyone has ever used this kit, but it's period correct which is super cool. It's not listed on the Luxe site but I e-mailed and Donovan (who I believe runs Luxe) said they had a few left in stock
    -AllParts Switchcraft Jack
    -Fender '70s 'F' Tuners
    -Fender 'F' Neck Plate
    -Fender Pure Vintage '60s Knobs
    -Fender Strap Buttons and Butterfly String Tree
    -'67 Style Esquire Waterslide decal
    • Decided to go for this over the CBS-style logo as these decals were used well into '68, look cool, and were adhered to the actual Esquires as a waterslide decal.
    Pics will happen as this gets built (I hope), but any comments and discussion are encouraged!

2. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    mmm - wouldn't a MIM Classic 60's Tele have got you most of the way there?

[​IMG]

p.s. Welcome to the forum!

3. RockDude4492

Mar 14, 2017
    New York, NY
    Indeed it would have, but the way it worked out, assembling it this way was cheaper. Definitely something I was considering though!

P.S. Thanks! Glad to be here!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Pete Baker

Pete Baker Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2006
    Maryland
    I've had a fixation with late 60's esquires lately, for no reason that I can think of. I'll be watching this thread wit great anticipation. If I recall, every 68 Esquire I've ever seen has had the transitional decal. I posted a thread earlier this month that got very little response, but has anyone ever actually seen a real 1970 Esquire? The latest I've ever seen is a 1969.

6. RockDude4492

Mar 14, 2017
    New York, NY
    Same here, which is why I decided to do this in the first place. They just look cool, though their rarity probably helps with the "lust factor." Some of them have the bold black CBS logo, but I think we see a lot more of the transitional decal, supposedly because Fender had a lot more leftover Esquire decals. Both versions look cool. Fender should really make some sort of AVRI '67 Esquire (or any Esquire for that matter, but that's besides the point).

I've only seen a Masterbuilt Custom Shop 1970 Esquire, but I imagine that was based on something, so they must exist. I've also only seen 1969 as the latest version...

7. Pete Baker

Pete Baker Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2006
    Maryland
    I put together an Esquire Custom that I have never seen a real version of, but could have been built. Black double bound body, 69 and later maple neck with skunk stripe, Bold CBS era decal, F tuners, 3 ply eight hole guard that I put the truss rod notch in myself and also the very small return on the upper side of the neck. I didn't get super accurate with the rest of it, but it turned out to be a nice playing guitar.

8. RockDude4492

Mar 14, 2017
    New York, NY
    Oh man I would love to see pictures of that, that sounds awesome! I guess they stopped making the double bound Tele bodies around '69, but I haven't even seen a '68 Esquire Custom.

9. Pete Baker

Pete Baker Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2006
    Maryland
    I think I have seen some 67-68 Esquire Customs with the transition decal, but they didn't say Custom if I recall. I spent a lot of time google searching that stuff a few years ago. I'll get some pictures up later if I can figure out how to do it.

10. RockDude4492

Mar 14, 2017
    New York, NY
    Just a small update (nothing super exciting), got the pickguard today (8 hole, 3 ply), also ordered an AllParts cloth wire kit, which comes with 3 feet of black cloth wire and 3 feet of white, which I think should be enough to get this wired up. The snowstorm sorta screwed things up for UPS/USPS, but a bunch more stuff will be coming tomorrow and probably the beginning of next week. All I have left to get/order is the nut or nut blank, which I am waiting to do once the neck arrives (figure out if I need a curved or flat bottom nut).

The first thing I will be doing once I have everything will be applying the waterslide decal to the headstock. This will be my first time doing this but I've watched a few videos on how to do it so I'm pretty confident I can do an all right job (any advice is appreciated though). Regardless, I will try to a take a picture of everything once I have it (before assembly), so you guys can see what's going into it!

11. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    UK
    Just a thought about your pots. You say that you are getting split-shaft pots, when all the Teles that I know have solid shaft. It's no biggie, but you might need to wedge a piece of card, or something similar in the split of the shafts, so that they don't "give" when you tighten the grub screws of the knobs. Good luck with your build! :)

12. RockDude4492

Mar 14, 2017
    New York, NY
    Well shoot I don't think I realized that, I think I just assumed all vintage Fenders had the 250k split shaft knobs. I'll exchange them, no big deal, thanks for the heads up! I guess I was too busy researching the wiring and everything that such a simple (yet important) thing clearly fell by the wayside.

Ron Garson likes this.

13. RockDude4492

Mar 14, 2017
    New York, NY
    So another slight update: Thanks to @Ron Garson I wised up and switched the pots to Fender 250k solid shaft knobs. In the process, I managed to pick up a Fender G&G Tweed Case super cheap. Additionally, the Luxe '64-'70 Esquire wiring kit arrived today and I'm supposed to be getting the neck sometime today.

My pickup/bridge and body are also on the way, but they seem to be stuck due to the snowstorm we had here the other day, which is driving me nuts because I just want to get started. Regardless, I still need to wait for the decal, tuners, knobs, and wires before I'm good to go...

EDIT: Neck just arrived! Just made this project seem even more "real" to me, even though I've had a bunch of the parts for like a week now.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Ron Garson likes this.

14. mimmo

mimmo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    Nice thread, I will be looking at it with much interest!

RockDude4492 likes this.

15. RockDude4492

Mar 14, 2017
    New York, NY
    Pickup/bridge arrived today. I guess I need to order bridge screws, plus my cloth wires got backordered so I need to re-order those as well. I'll probably try an get those through Amazon Prime so they get here quickly.

I'm hoping everything is here by the middle of this coming week, so that I can hopefully get started on this sooner rather than later. Once everything is here, I'll try and start posting pictures of everything.

Pete Baker likes this.

16. RockDude4492

Mar 14, 2017
    New York, NY
    All right so the body arrived today, which means I'm super close to assembling this thing. Tuners and knobs are scheduled to arrive tomorrow, plus I'm still waiting on the better decal I ordered (got one today, it was a little too big...). Regardless, I thought now would be a good time to share some pics, so without further ado, the beginnings of my '67/'68 Fender Esquire build!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rze99 and Tele-roaster like this.

17. Pete Baker

Pete Baker Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2006
    Maryland

18. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    I already like it. :)
    It is going to look very ...new. Are you going to age it a little?

19. RockDude4492

Mar 14, 2017
    New York, NY
    Thank you! I'm really excited about it too!

And no, as much as I understand the appeal of relic-ing a guitar, I kind of like the idea of making it a NOS guitar more, as if I'm buying it in 1968. I'd also rather let it relic over time. That's just me though.

20. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2011
    Midlothian, IL
    Looks good. Just a suggestion, try pure nickel strings with the steel saddles. It will tame some of the highs if they are a problem for you.

21. RockDude4492

Mar 14, 2017
    New York, NY
    Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely keep that in mind!

Tuners and knobs came yesterday, as did the new decal which has been applied and looks super cool! I think I will start the assembly early next week, but for now, check out the decal!

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.