Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Asked to paint an Eric Clapton "Fool" SG.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Spikeymikey, Oct 8, 2017.

1. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    By The Levee
    Very nice. I saw the original played by Eric Clapton, Jackie Lomax and Todd Rungren.

TigerG likes this.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I coulda done that.....;)

3. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Very cool, looking forward to seeing it all finished.

4. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Meister

Jun 3, 2007
    new jersey

5. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    That deserves the best custom hardware, electronics and pickups that money can buy! Truly magnificent and will hopefully be played as much and as beautifully as the original!

6. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I used to Air brush, with the intent to do guitar bodies, but never did get around to doing it. I used Acrylics, dyes, inks , never did use laquers, enamals or oils, but you are right, a white primer works very well, my father used a gesso primer before he did oil paintings, accrylics give brilliant color but are suseptable to harsh cleaners like Fantastic , or amonia based cleaners like windex, these chemicals disolve acrylic , but the great thing about acrylics is they are water soluable when liquid and dry to a plastic .

That is a very nice well done rendition of Tod Rundgren's guitar- he bought Clapton's guitar at a yard sale.

7. davo8411

davo8411 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Pensacola, Florida
    Great work! I would like to see an example or three of your portrait work if you don't mind sharing.

8. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2012
    Brilliant work! I never liked the original as it just isn't my taste but your skills are fantastic.

I had a Strat painted with artwork that was quite personal but I love it.

9. Spikeymikey

Spikeymikey TDPRI Member

Oct 8, 2017
    UK
    image.jpeg

Thanks Davo. OK, here are a few examples. I hope it's ok to post them on a guitar forum:

10. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    that is flippin awesome!!

Love it - can't wait to see it complete!

11. Spikeymikey

Spikeymikey TDPRI Member

Oct 8, 2017
    UK
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Here's a few more portraits for Davo!

12. Spikeymikey

Spikeymikey TDPRI Member

Oct 8, 2017
    UK
    Wow, can't be many people can claim that! Thanks for the compliment too Slim!

24 track likes this.

13. Spikeymikey

Spikeymikey TDPRI Member

Oct 8, 2017
    UK
    Thanks Madras! Any photos of your Strat?

14. Spikeymikey

Spikeymikey TDPRI Member

Oct 8, 2017
    UK
    Thanks again 24 Track. This is brush painted like the original was. I can do a bit of airbrushing but not anything too complicated. I got all the gear like you did but never really got to grips with it either! Yes, acrylic is pretty amazing in the way you describe and it's got me back into using them again in my professional work, which is really interesting!

24 track likes this.

15. Spikeymikey

Spikeymikey TDPRI Member

Oct 8, 2017
    UK
    Thanks hrstrat, that's real nice of you to say. I'm pretty overwhelmed by the responses to this on here and I thank you all for your comments. I'll definitely update you on it when my friend gets it back from the luthier.

16. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

Very nice work! It looks like you got about as close as possible to the original art work.

- D

17. Broadchurch

Broadchurch TDPRI Member

May 12, 2017
    Melbourne
    As another poster has mentioned, you would do well to post in other forums, like strat talk etc. i imagine you would get a lot of work for these three:

The Clapton SG
    Jimmy Page's Dragon Tele
    George Harrison's Rocky

Anyone know other famous painted guitars...?

18. davo8411

davo8411 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Pensacola, Florida
    Nice work Spikey! I like your style.

19. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2012
    Here you go, it was a personal thing. My Grandfather died when I was 14 years old and I made the guitar a bit of a tribute to him. He was in the navy and the portraits on the back are of him and my Nana. The original photo is of them together so I had both of them painted onto the guitar. She is thankfully still with us and now aged 91.

Being old school navy he had the traditional sailor tattoos including the swallows and the dagger/snake which are all on the back of the guitar with the portraits.

With the portraits and tattoos being from the 1950's I went for the classic Elvgren pin up on the front making the front less personal.

It won't be to everyone's taste but I love it.

IMG_7016.JPG IMG_2873.JPG IMG_2883.JPG IMG_6324.JPG IMG_2871.JPG

24 track and troy2003 like this.

20. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    That Strat is AWESOME!!!

Great work on the SG-you have amazing skills!!

Spikeymikey likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.