Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ash firewood

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Hollywood691, Dec 25, 2018.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I had that same problem with that same router.

I went to Harbor Freight and bought their equivalent current model and I can't believe how much better it runs the same tools and same projects. Probably twenty bodies with it by now.

I also replaced the same vintage quarter sheet pad sander with the HF random orbital palm sander and holy cow! so much better results.

Newbcaster and SheldonP like this.
  2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Make a square or rectangle of the same material, ideally grain matched. I used the offcut from my alder blank. It can be any shape, really, just straight edges. Lay it over the offending area with a small bit of double stick tape, just so it won't move while setting up the template. Lay some straight-sided 3/4" MDF scraps against all four (or more?) sides, and stick these down very well. Lift out your patch block, and rout using a top bearing bit. Glue block. Lay out, and re-cut. Don't screw it up this time. :twisted:

Here's my body with the block prepped for the do-over.

Neck Pocket Do-over.jpg

And here's the result:

20180729_174424.jpg

3. Hollywood691

Hollywood691 TDPRI Member

Experience as a woodworker is minimal, I've built alot of stuff ie...tables, benches, cabinets etc. but nothing like this. This is my first attempt to build a guitar (I've wanted to for a long time). I am trying to patch it up to fix it. I certianly dont want to trash it haha.[/QUOTE]

El Tele Lobo and GPlo like this.
  4. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

Jul 19, 2009
    North Georgia
    Lutherie is quite a bit of repairing one's screw-ups. I read that on the internet, but learned it first-hand before I 'd read it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  5. Hollywood691

Thank you everyone for the encouragment on my first build, and to moosie for the example pics!
    I still need a little fixing on the control cavity, but did fix the neck pocket today and have a question.
    The ole tele neck I have is a tad loose in the pocket, what do i need to do about that?

20181229_181008.jpg 20181229_183542.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Be encouraged, brother! We all mess up… Especially when you’re learning. That’s when you learn the most. And somehow, it’s that much more satisfying, when you hang on and make it work anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI forum mobile app

Hollywood691 likes this.
  7. Bergy

Bergy TDPRI Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Denver
    Nice save! Really like that grain. How ya gonna finish it? I’ll be interested to hear some remedies for a loose neck pocket, myself.

Hollywood691 likes this.
  8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I wouldn’t do anything if it’s only a little loose; I like that wiggle room to help me adjust for any failures in geometry with my bridge. :rolleyes: Especiallyokay if you are assembling the guitar in a dry season.

If you do want to tighten the pocket a bit, I have used tape on the template walls for that.

Edit: but now I see you’ve already cut the pocket, in which case I’d just say “onward!” :)

Newbcaster and Hollywood691 like this.
  9. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I hoped mine would give a little sucking sound as the air was pushed out, but alas, it's a bit loose, too. Just enough for a 1/32" maple shim to fix. You can see it if you look close, but it's glued in permanent. (I'm not talking about the StewMac shim - that was needed because the WD Music neck was a little bit off. Had the same need on a couple of actual Fender bodies I tried it with, too.)

Hollywood691 likes this.
  10. Hollywood691

Shooting for Blonde Butterscotch nitro lacquer I got from reranch. I wanted to try to build this as close to a 1950 Broadcaster as I can....on a thin to no Budget LOL. And yes I thought this was a beautiful slab, I bought 2" x 14" x 60" in Houston for $55, I know I can custom paint and airbrush it, but wanted to go vintage on it. Next body I'll try something exotic on it.
    I tried witch doctoring some urethane kandies on these scrap pieces, the thin strip has a clearcoat on it.

color_experiment.jpg

11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Hollywood691 likes this.
  12. Hollywood691

And that is just what I have on this one.....that makes me feel better, haha, still may shim it like moosie did.

13. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    I didn’t see this mentioned. For the router issue, make sure your bit is sharp! And don’t take out too much material at once. My first few experiences with a router were terrible. I split I neck down the middle, gouged deep holes from bits coming loosed ect. I was always too excited to get the project done and would rush, the vibrations for being aggressive can cause stuff to come loose. I own 4 routers now, I’ve had mishaps with all of them. I thought a better router would help, nope... it was my technique. I’ll even take a rasp on any points after driller to avoid tear out.

Hollywood691 likes this.
  14. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I just noticed in my earlier pic (post #22), I'd already glued the shim in place on the bass side of the neck pocket. See it?

And here's the finished guitar. Sure, builders can tell it's a first effort, but my mom would think it's amazing! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

20181101_221348.jpg

15. Hollywood691

Yes, I see the shim and thats what I may do also........this is my very first build so I certianly couldn't tell it's a first effort LOL! Like your mom, I think it looks Great! Like the color and the binding.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  16. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Aww, thanks mom :D

My point being ... don't feel like you've screwed the pooch. Lots of room to still end up in the win column. Even if you blow a few more things, like I did. :rolleyes:

Hollywood691 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  17. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    I made the neck pocket too long on my most recent Thinline but glued in a similar block of ash and re-routed the pocket.
    By the time I stained and finished you can hardly see it.

IMG_4552.jpg IMG_5120.jpg

grooveht, Tonetele, Frankito and 4 others like this.
  18. Hollywood691

All fixed and neck fits almost like a glove, haha
    20190101_115321.jpg

Crafty Fox, moosie and GPlo like this.
  19. GPlo

GPlo TDPRI Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hollywood691 likes this.
  20. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Just needs the right pickguard shape

[​IMG]

Newbcaster and Hollywood691 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.