Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

ASAT Special

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by dead mike, Jun 29, 2016.

1. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2011
    Virginia
    Don't look now, but there's a penny in your bridge.

2. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Meister

Aug 14, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN
    That's just my two cents:)

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2003
    Me likee!

Chester Burnett likes this.
  5. I will allow that guys are better informed before they order something, what kind of hit they're liable to take and so a different kind of customer (one who keeps guitars) is more common now.

The loss in resale is not quite as obscene as it used to be but IMO it is still pretty bad. Not BS.

I remember well respected member Jack Wells picking up numbers of nice USA G + Ls for $ 350-400 apiece - quite a number of them. Thank goodness they get more than that now.

Although, I'm allergic to calling anything someone says as BS. Too much respect for the other guys here. :^)

HWTele likes this.
  6. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Long Island
    Yeah, I have one G&L "Tele" (US) and love it, not worried about resale value. I traded a 2007 LP Studio for it (I win) Also have a few other Teles, including Fenders, R. Kirn, Washburn, etc. Don't own any CS ones (yet) My G&L is as good or better than anything else I have.

7. sshan25

sshan25 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2003
    Albion, RI
    I have 2 great ASAT's (semi hollow Bluesboy and semi hollow CS Special). I bought them both used for reasonable prices. I have no doubt that I could get back what I paid or more for either. It's when you buy new that you take a hit. I haven't bought a new guitar by any maker in well over 10 yars.

8. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Meister

Oct 21, 2015
    BetweenHere&There
    That was back in the late 90's. I bought a US Legacy for $375 in '98. You're not finding any US mint ASATs or Legacys for any less than what Std US Fenders cost.

Check out Guitar Center listings on used ASATs and Teles you'll see they are quite comparable. Once the Tribute line was introduced it bumped up the price of the used G&ls quite a bit. I would argue that you're taking the same hit on a US Fender as you are on a G&L. Look around. Almost all new guitars take a hit once you leave the shop.

Check out Chester's guitar above if you're buying that puppy from Fender it's a $3k custom shop guitar.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  9. floatingpickup

floatingpickup TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Naples FL
    I picked up a 1995 G&L ASAT Special the other day at a pawn shop for $139. What a great guitar. I need to clean it up a bit, but it's all there. Date on neck and body is 1995. Love those mfd pickups. I sure got lucky on this one.
    KM

JohnnyGringo, Doug 54 and TMMC like this.
  10. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2015
    Orange County
    I'm a G&L fan for a number of reasons. Great quality and a local smaller So Cal company so I feel my money stays somewhat in the community. Last designs by Leo himself with what I think are improvements. I have a 95 legacy that I paid $550 for used and I recently got the Musician Friend STOD ASAT Special. The ASAT is the best guitar I have ever played.

The pickups are hotter and I think a littler darker than a Telecaster, so if you want a classic Tele bridge tone you may not be happy.

Here in So Cal they are asking around $800 to $1200 for used US G&L's on craigslist, and used prices seem to be going up over the last 2 years.

11. floatingpickup

Jan 11, 2017
    Naples FL
    I play jazz and all my other guitars are archtops, so a darker tone suits me. I have owned three Fender Telecasters over the years (a vintage one, a MIM and a recent American Std). Although they were great guitars, I always felt that the front pickup in a tele wasn't quite right for my style of music. The G&L mfd pickup seems just right for me. I am really excited about finding this guitar.
    KM

Doug 54 likes this.
  12. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Meister

Oct 21, 2015
    BetweenHere&There
    I can get used Am Std Teles for about the same. So what's the big deal?

8barlouie likes this.
  13. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2015
    Orange County
    My experience with the MFD pickups is that they respond well to rolling off the volume and tone knobs. I roll off the tone 1/2 to 1/4 or so depending on the song, and rolling the volume down a little warms it up also. Full up they are a little harsh to my ears when playing clean.

In my neck of the woods asking prices for Fenders and G&L's are about the same price used.

14. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    Resale value does'nt count because why would you ever sell it?

15. floatingpickup

Jan 11, 2017
    Naples FL
    Here is a pic of my newly acquired '95 G&L ASAT.
    KM
    image.jpeg

tonyj, Doug 54 and Chritty like this.
  16. Teledelphia

Teledelphia Tele-Holic

Mar 12, 2008
    philadelphia
    G&L now offers more traditional Alnico Tele style pu's as an option....I wonder how they sound?

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2015
    Orange County
    How do you like the ASAT so far? I also have a 95 but it is a Legacy.

18. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Nov 17, 2006
    MA
    I have 3 G&L's including an ASAT Special. I may sell the other two but never the Special, that's a keeper. Very consistent build quality on their guitars. As far as resale I've always heard it kinda sucks, but I've never tried to sell one. Pick one up used and you won't lose money on it.

19. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    After all the talk over the years, I finally played a G&L Tribute Bluesboy about 3 months ago and only for about 5 minutes. Nice guitar but wouldn't say it compared favorably to any of my Fenders.

That's not MIA, right? Decent but not wow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.