Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

ASAT Special

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by dead mike, Jun 29, 2016.

1. dead mike

dead mike TDPRI Member

I went down to my local guitar store yesterday to hand in all the parts for my new build to be assembled and while trying out all the Fender teles a guy handed me an ASAT Special. I have never had my hands on a G&L before and was very very impressed with how it was built. The neck especially grabbed me as it was the same size roughly as my 52 ri but way smoother. It was like it had no finish. Then i plugged it in, it flat out rips and does all the sounds i wanted. The pickups sound like p90s but able to still do the tele thing. I am strongly considering trading something in for this guitar but i need another telecaster like i need a hole in the head.
    Anyone here play one? Own one? Have input into these guitars? Talk me out of buying it?

TMMC likes this.

2. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Tele-Afflicted

Great guitars. Resale value sucks.

tery and beyer160 like this.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Check out my avatar. Woops, before Harley Dog it was my orange ASAT! We're enablers here, we're not going to talk you out of it... Was it MIA or a Tribute?

I think of the pups on a Special, btw, as being closer to Jazzmaster's. They are not as rude as P90s.

boris bubbanov likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. dead mike

dead mike TDPRI Member

MIA. Resale value sucks eh? Like what are we talking?

6. trousertele

trousertele Tele-Holic

Feb 19, 2008
    CA
    Like plummeting off a cliff the minute you drive it off the lot. I love G&Ls (have 2) but be prepared to take a bath if you ever have to sell it. You can get mint used MIA ones in the $600-800 range.

7. dead mike

dead mike TDPRI Member

Yikes! A Leo Fender owned/designed company and guitar and resale sucks?! Too bad because after looking it up and down and comparing it to my MIA teles I would say its a better guitar.

TMMC and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

8. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

I have absolutely no desire to sell my ASAT. Fantastic MIA guitar

eddy8dynamite and TMMC like this.

9. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Meister

Oct 21, 2015
    BetweenHere&There
    That's a lot of BS about bad resale value on G&L's. G&L production guitars are every bit as good as Fender CS and higher end reissues. They're generally less expensive new and used G&L's resale is pretty decent. I think that was mostly true in the late 90's than now. I own 2 Fenders (59 reissue Strat & Highway 1 Tele) and recently sold my 3 bolt mid 90's Legacy (couldn't get along with the giant frets) for more than what US Std Strat's are selling for used. When I was checking out used ASAT's (USA version) I wasn't finding anything all that cheap. So falling off the cliff ... I don't think so!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    8barlouie, badger51 and Nubs like this.

10. dead mike

dead mike TDPRI Member

Well i just checked every asat special on reverb.com and cant see any difference than the Fenders.

11. trousertele

trousertele Tele-Holic

Feb 19, 2008
    CA
    Okeedokee. I was only giving my opinion based upon my personal experience, but I guess this whole thing about terrible resale must be a myth. Busted!

12. trousertele

trousertele Tele-Holic

Feb 19, 2008
    CA
    What difference were you looking for?

13. dead mike

dead mike TDPRI Member

Just doing price comparisons from MIA teles to ASAT Specials. I cant see much of a price difference between them on the used market. One thing i will say is that there sure isn't very many specials for sale out there.

HWTele likes this.

14. trousertele

trousertele Tele-Holic

Feb 19, 2008
    CA
    What you want to check are completed sales, not what people list them for. May have to go to Ebay to do that.

amplifiedhermit likes this.

15. amplifiedhermit

amplifiedhermit Tele-Meister

Jan 5, 2015
    Western US
    G&L's only seem to have low resale value when compared to Fenders, as Fenders tend to keep their value more than most brands. Personally, I think G&L's are nicer guitars in general though and I've always wanted an ASAT Special.

16. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien TDPRI Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Harrisburg, PA
    I just picked up a used ASAT Classic Custom. They are not as low as they used to be as word is getting out however there are certain models that still stay relatively low, like the Legacy. The guitar I got is amazing though. Fantastic neck.

17. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Meister

Oct 21, 2015
    BetweenHere&There
    If you look at sold listings in general for ASAT's and filter high to low there selling for a decent amount and when you compare them to American Std Teles there's not much of a difference.
    (Of course you can always find exceptions for both).

I've seen shops in my area sell early 2000's US Teles for $599 and ASATs for $699 - 799. I'm a Fender player but I think the G&Ls build quality is more inline with higher end Fender gear.

I've flipped a lot of guitars and amps over the past 20 yrs and I can tell you I've always made money on both brands. G&L is in no way inferior to Fender resale wise.

18. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN
    I love my ASAT Classic Custom. I traded an Eric Clapton Strat straight up for it and it's a keeper.

19. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Agreed. So buy used and let the depreciation fall on someone else. :D

Frank'n'censed likes this.

20. trousertele

trousertele Tele-Holic

Feb 19, 2008
    CA
    Yes they are. See, I can speak in absolutes too, but it doesn't prove a thing.

They shouldn't be inferior in resale though. On that we can at least agree.

21. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    G&Ls are GREAT guitars. Counting basses, I've owned about 20 of them at one time or another. Build quality is uniformly excellent, much on a par with Fender Custom Shop stuff. The main difference with G&Ls is the models with MFD pickups: the ceramic magnet sound has both fans and detractors. It's not right or wrong, just personal preference. If the ASAT speaks to you, I'd say go get it and play the doo-dah out of it. :cool: CS

Frankie likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.