Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

As much as I'd love a tube amp, my Mustang III just rules!

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by unixfish, Jan 17, 2017.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I've found that adding some gate helps, and really it doesn't squelch the responsiveness if you are judicious with it.

2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I'll see if I can get something, but no big deal either way. Not something I've sought out for more than curiosity to this point.

Orange isn't bad though. No clue if it's "accurate", but I can't get some decent sounds. Same with the Silvertone.

For the most part though, its tweed style Fender stuff that I spend 90% of my time with.

3. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Agreed. I tend to like a brighter sound, but I have to be careful since the SuperSonic model lets you easily "over-brighten" your sound. Maybe that is why I keep going back to the Bassman and the Marshall-ish sounds?

4. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    Ah-HA! The Affordable Tone Chasing Act of 2017....

Jim Dep likes this.

5. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    Many of the models seem over-bright, so I just roll the tone pot of my bridge pickups down to 7-8
    until I get into them to adjust the settings.

6. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    That's awesome...all of it. Long story, short; A few years back, I took a hand written note ( so last century...I know) of a couple of my favorite presets to a music store that I knew had the Mustang III's in stock. I loaded one in, the sales floor guy, who was right there liked the way the amp sounded with this preset tweek (which was a major overhaul that took about 30 seconds) but when I asked him if he wanted me to save the preset, he said "NOOOO!" He really didn't know anything about the Mustang other than the very basics, so I can't really blame him. I got the attitude, however that he didn't really want to know anything about it.....which I discovered over the last 5 years or more is pretty common with these amps.

You mentioned liking the 57 Deluxe model. That's the model I've used for playing lap steel through, to get the classic 50's Hank Williams classic country tones. Lately that's been my go to model for the electric guitars. I ignored it for a long time and suddenly I'm liking it .....sounds great for Motown stuff and early R&R.

7. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Yeah, well...the cats out of the bag now ....it's true and was approved by the National Tone Association. It originally read: "If you don't like your tone, you can keep it."
    No big deal....what's the problem, right?
    The old law, however has been challenged and repealed by popular demand based on this consensus: Time for a change ...because;

The Tone Chasing Act of previous years was interpreted by some to read:

"IF YOU like the amp tone you bought but it doesn't sound as good after 30 days...TOO BAD. You're stuck with it."

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    PCollen likes this.

8. SnowStorm

SnowStorm Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    These are my three favorite Mustang III v2 patches. They are all setup to run at Master Volume between 2 to 3. I run the amp loud enough to mix with a Yamaha P-105 keyboard and two to 4 voices without mics.

The guitars levels are not very hot. I have the Squier Classic Vibe 50's in butterscotch that I will run the volume at about 8 to 10 (10 is max) and the tone is turned down a bit (maybe half) to thicken up. These also work with my Franken-Strat that has a little bit hotter pickups (I suspect they were Squier PUps) and the tone is usually rolled off to about 7 - 8. The last one is the Squier Vintage Modified Strat with the Duncan designed pickups. This one I can run the volume a little louder (say 8 - 10) and the tone gets bumped between 8 - 10. The Strats have the tone modification to allow the middle tone pot to roll back the tone of the bridge. It was just to ice-picky otherwise.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Fender '57 Deluxe
    Amp Settings
    Gain: 6.4
    Volu: 4.3
    Treb: 6.8
    Mid : 5
    Bass: 5.5
    Revb: 2.5

Sag : Less
    Bias: 25%
    Gate: 3-o-clock
    Cab: 2x12c

Reverb Settings
    '63 Spring Reverb
    Levl: 2.5
    Decy: 5.5
    Dwel: 5.5
    Diff: 5.5
    Tone: 5.5

Vox AC15 (British 60's)
    Amp Settings
    Gain: 4.7
    Volu: 6.3
    Treb: 6.8
    Mid : 5.7
    Bass: 5.1

Sag : Match
    Bias: 0%
    Gate: Low (9-oclock)
    Cab : 4x12M
    Cut : 4.0
    Mstr: 4.4

Reverb Settings
    '63 Spring Reverb

Marshall (British 80's)
    Amp Settings
    Gain: 2.3
    Volu: 7.2
    Treb: 3.2
    Mid : 5.6
    Bass: 7.0

Sag : Match
    Bias: 0%
    Gate: Low (9-oclock)
    Cab : 4x12M
    Pres: 3.0
    Mstr: 3.8

Reverb Settings
    '63 Spring Reverb

Jim Dep, PCollen and -Hawk- like this.

9. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    My main patches are a 65 Twin, 65 Deluxe, 60s British, and a Bassman.

I agree with everyone about the SS and Marshall. I do like the Hiwatt (British Watts) for crunchy stuff, though.

10. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Thanks for taking the time to write that up. I'll give the Marshall a spin tonight.

11. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2014
    Piute County, Utah
    I have been messing with humbuckers in various guitars lately. I have been looking for some settings ( for Mustang III v2) specifically for a Les Paul with humbuckers and some Fenders W/humbuckers too. There doesn't seem to be much info to be found.

12. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    My main guitar is a LP dual humbucker type. I set the tone on the amp with my neck pickup most of the time, so I often need to roll back the tone on the bridge pickup a little.

Here's my '59 Baseman patch, set to just about the edge of breakup:
    Gain - 4.4
    Vol - 10.0
    Treb - 4.0
    Mid - 4.6
    Bass -5.7
    Rev -2.1 (Small Hall with Decay 4.5, Dwell 5.2, Diff 3.8, Tone 10.0)
    Sag - All the way down
    Bias - All the way up
    Gate - MAX
    Cab - Bssmn
    Pres - 1.0
    Blend - 0%

And I love my British '60a patch:

Gain - 1.7
    Vol - 10.0
    Treb - 6.4
    Mid - 8.3
    Bass -5.7
    Rev - 2.7 (Large Plate with Decay 5.5, Dwell 6.1, Diff 5.5, Tone 7.4)
    Sag - All the way down
    Bias - 0%
    Gate - OFF
    Cab - 4X12G
    Cut - 1.0
    MSTR - 6.4

These might be nothing like you're looking for, but could be decent starting points.

PCollen likes this.

13. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2014
    Piute County, Utah
    Thank You Sir. I will give them a try. I am not afraid to tweak things around at all. Basically, I am actually wanting to get nice cleans for humbuckers for starters. Turning the above reference settings to clean sound/tone shouldn't be difficult. Thanks again.

14. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

Dumb question - how much difference is there between the III V1 and V2? I was thinking of going to buy the V2, but a V1 just showed up on Craig's for a great price!

Am I giving up a lot by going with the older version of the amp?

- D

15. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    I ended up with a v1 mustang V. It's missing four or five amps and a few pedals but if you're not using them take the deal. I don't have a list but saw one once out on the web. I know the studio amp and angry rodent were not on v1.

Jim Dep likes this.

16. StrangerNY

Here's what the guy's got listed on the CL ad...

100W
    12" Celestion G12T-100 speaker
    All-new DSP platform
    12 amp models: '57 Deluxe, '59 Bassman, '57 Champ, '65 Deluxe Reverb, '65 Princeton Reverb, '65 Twin Reverb, Super-Sonic, British '60s, British '70s, British '80s, American '90s, Metal 2000
    7 stomp effects: Overdrive, Fixed Wah, Touch Wah, Fuzz, Fuzz Touch Wah, Compressor, Simple Compressor
    11 modulation effects: Sine Chorus, Triangle Chorus, Sine Flanger, Triangle Flanger, Vibratone, Vintage Tremolo, Sine Tremolo, Ring Modulator, Step Filter, Phaser, Pitch Shifter
    9 delay effects: Mono Delay, Mono Echo Filter, Stereo Echo Filter, Multitap Delay, Ping Pong Delay, Ducking Delay, Reverse Delay, Tape Delay, Stereo Tape Delay
    10 Reverb Effects: Small Hall, Large Hall, Small Room, Large Room, Small Plate, Large Plate, Ambient, Arena, Fender '63 Spring Reverb, Fender '65 Spring Reverb
    Mono series FX loop
    Chromatic tuner
    1/8" aux input
    1/8" headphone jack (doubles as a speaker-emulated line out)
    USB port
    Black textured carbon tweed vinyl covering with silver grille cloth
    Includes 2-button programmable footswitch
    Includes Fender Fuse software for on-screen parameter control, deep editing, unlimited preset storage, online patch swapping, and easy firmware upgrades

- D

Cliffyg62 likes this.

17. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    The V2's have a studio preamp setting which can be handy as a blank canvas .

Cliffyg62, privatesalt and StrangerNY like this.

18. StrangerNY

Does the V1 accept the 4 button switch?

- D

19. privatesalt

privatesalt Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2014
    Alabama
    Yes the 4 button switch works with the v1. The v2 has these additional amps and pedals...

Amps:
    Studio Preamp
    ’57 Twin
    ’60s Thrift
    British Watts
    British Colour

Pedals:
    Ranger Boost
    Green Box
    Orange Box
    Black Box
    Big Fuzz

I use the Studio Preamp for bass when recording. Works great. (Use Bal outs to mixer and turn the Master down so Mustang speaker is off).

Some of the v1's had an issue with fizz. The trail off of a ringing string as it goes to silence would sound fizzy. Some could be factory reset and it would fix it. Some not. I would ask if it has the 'fizz' issue or if you can return if it has it.

Personally I would hold out for a v2 unless it's like $100-150 . V2's can be found for around $200. Though their value may be going up after the release of the GT line (and ending production of M3v2).

Cliffyg62 likes this.

20. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I'd do a factory reset on any used Mustang being you don't know what changes have been made. One a V1, a Fender tech told me that a factory reset would fix 95 % of the reported 'fizz' issues and there were other over the phone fixes to take care of the remaining 5% if the factory reset was unsuccessful. I asked him point blank if there were any reported fizz problems they couldn't fix with instructions given over the phone and he said "no", every one that was brought to their attention was resolved.
    At one time a few years ago, the fizz came up on my Mustang III V1, the factory reset worked and it never happened again. This was the one and only time I've done a factory reset, so it makes sense that if I'd done a factory reset at the time I bought it, ( new but on display in the store) the fizz might not have ever shown up.
    So a concern I'd have now if I were buying a used V1; are the over the phone solutions still being offered for that alleged 5% that didn't respond to the factory reset ? If I was going to buy a V1, I'd do a factory reset before buying, listen to the basic amp models, make sure the GAIN is turned down and listen very closely to the decay of the singles notes and also chords as the volume fades for anything sounding strange. If all is well, should be good to go.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.