Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

As much as I'd love a tube amp, my Mustang III just rules!

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by unixfish, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    I'm an EE during the day, and "back in the day" I used to build my own tube amps. I've sold them all off except a vibro champ clone which was my first build (with a few mods). It sounds great, has a Webber speaker, but the cabinet is made from some wood that were lying around the garage at the time and the chassis is just a bud box.

Even with that I tend to practice with a Marshall MG10CF and a Boss Me80 + RC3. I can play this with no sacrifice in tone at such low volumes. Even the little vibro champ needs to be at a certain volume for it to sound sweet. Furthermore, the MG10 has an mp3 input jack that doesn't muddy up when I run my tablet through it. This is also a perfect portable setup to bring to the GF's house.

I do have a vc30 sitting next to my m3. At best I can say they're different, not better or worse. It depends on the sound I'm shooting for. However, the vc30 never leaves the house....

2. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    I was very sceptical of modelling amps having been a valve man for ~20 years but I'm a convert. To my ears they're near as dammit and the practicality wins me over.

It does make sense cos you can compensate to an extent for any power amp & speaker shortcomings in the digital domain and digital's achillies heal has always been the conversion from analog and back and that's improving all the time.

privatesalt likes this.

3. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World

I believe the guy was referring to using the fixed basic amp presets...the 65 Deluxe Reverb and the Tweed Pro (?) which can not be fine tuned to a users preference unless those modified models are saved in another location. I bought a Mustang III recently and found that the 65 Deluxe Reverb model was plug and play with my Strat's...I was amazed how good that basic amp model sounded; no tweaking required for me. I agree it might be difficult having to use another players unique pre-sets .

4. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    "To my ears they're near as dammit..."

Now THAT is a new one for me ! How near can dammit be ?

5. holdonphoton

holdonphoton Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2013
    ALABAMA
    Some great comments here and I completely agree with the enthusiasm and surprise of the OP...I got a Mustang III v1 off some kid on craigslist for $200...put a Swamp Thang speaker in it...my goodness...the Bassman setting with that speaker is the best clean sound I've ever heard...especially for low volume guys with kids asleep upstairs. Had tube amps for years...I'm gonna use a speaker cable to try one of those Egnater Tweaker 15's through the Mustang Cab but other than that...I'm done with the amp search.

Should leave more time for pedals, pickups, and other crap!!

6. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Pretty dammit!!

7. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    So near to the sound of your tube amp, that you think "Dammit! Why did I spend all that extra cash on amps and pedals?" :cool:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    pdcorlis and PCollen like this.

8. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I have the version 1 of the Mustang III. You can make changes to the basic amp and save them without having to change their location. If they were set up as you described, I wouldn't be worried about other people making changes to the basic amp. I think it would be better if it was the way you said, that you couldn't make changes to the basic amps unless moving them to a different preset slot. Maybe it is set up as you described on the Version II, that would be smart, IMO, if Fender did.

Just to clarify, because the basic amp models CAN be changed and saved in their original spot, I'd be concerned with other people using the amp in a backline or unsupervised situation. If lots of people are plugging into the same Mustang you are using, you have no guarantee with any preset...and each of the basic amps are a preset, that someone hasn't messed with the settings and saved them...all they have to do is hit the save button twice, the 2nd time to confirm that what location you are saving it to, and the location it's currently on is the one it gets saved to unless you designate it somewhere else.

They come shipped from the factory with a lock on, preventing any changes from being saved to any of the factory presets, which is a good idea being that any Mustang on a music store floor would be vulnerable to having people make any change they wanted and the prospective customer wouldn't know. It's not fool proof though, because If someone knew what they were doing, they could remove the lock at the store within seconds, screw around with any of the presets, including the basic amp models and leave it that way. Fortunately, a quick factory reset would erase any changes and get it back to normal. ( In the mean time, the customer bought a different amp instead...doh !) Once the FUSE is set up on your computer, all the factory presets are there, and you can load them all back on or just one at a time, if needed.

9. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Well exactly..!!..although (and it's very possible I've missed something here) there's not a huge amount you can do with presets to make them accessible on a stage. Is there maybe a multi button pedal that plugs into the bigger amps? One foot switch is all well and good but it's not really making the most of the processing power of the amp.

10. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    There's the Mustang Floor, which is essentially a Mustang on the floor, with no speaker, but with a row of switches to either bring up your presets or turn on/off parameters within a preset (your choice). Add to that a vol/exp pedal and a big LCD screen where you can read your preset names, and it's a real winner. Run it into either the front end or the effects loop of any amp, or through the PA, and it sounds great

The achille's heel of this setup though is the power supply, which is more suited for a calculator that sits on a desk than a amp that sits low like a floor pedal

Bill and 9fears08 like this.

11. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    The Mustang III, IV, and V all come with the 4 button footswitch. The 2 button and the Mustang Expression Pedal can also be added along with the 4 button FS.

9fears08 likes this.

12. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    The Mustang III can accomodate both the 2-button and 4-button Mustang footswitches.
    2-button is Up/Down so you can select preset 1 and then go 1>0>1 or 1>2>1 with 1 stomp each. 4-button has greater capability...look it up

9fears08 likes this.

13. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

This is why I have given up on chasing tone. There are no constants.

14. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    The amp's tone doesn't change from one day to the next, just your perception of it , and knowing that if you don't like what you have.....you can keep it. ....oh wait...I mean if you don't like your amp model today, you can change it...there, that's better.
    BTW, The Mustang III comes with the 2 button switch...the IV and V come with the 4 button.

15. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    4 button is mandatory imo. Even better is combining with the 2 button. Changes the character of the experience altogether.

16. SnowStorm

SnowStorm Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    This is a great thread. I've had a very good experience with my MIII. I started with a used v1 from Guitar Center and I found a problem that it had with one of the knobs (bad solder joint) and I brought it back within the first 30 days and I ended up adding a little bit more money and left with the MIIIv2. I've setup four really nice sounding amps

1.) '57 Deluxe - Just on the edge of breakup. Nice thick lows and a full tone range.

2.) Vox AC15 - this one is pretty darn close to my Vox AC15. Again just on the edge of breakup but with more mids and less lows.

3.) Marshall - I really like the clean-ish sounds of the Marshalls that Daniel plays on "That Pedal Show". I've tried to get one that is just starting to compress and is starting to sound knarly - without being overly harsh.

4.) Fender Bassman - A guy at our church has a Bassman and he brought it in one day. I stayed after and was able to get a nice tone on his amp and then worked to dial in the MIII as close as possible. This one is pretty clean with a really good frequency response range - very full tone. It is good for playing as a single guitar with a group.

With these models - I usually just switch between them and don't really have to do much tweaking any more.

Another funny story happened when I was at Guitar Center. I was trying some of their used guitars and they didn't have a tuner handy. I started to look around for an amp with a tuner and found the MIII sitting there with a cable nearby. I plugged in and got the Strat tuned up and went to preset #1. It was some horrible/cheesy 80's sound. I went to my phone and found my '57 Deluxe settings that I took a photo of and quickly dialed it into preset #1. I then save it and set the menu to "Locked Mode" so nobody could tweak and overwrite the new patch. Well three weeks later I stopped back and was looking at another guitar - a Gretsch and I did the same thing. Plugged into the MIII, tuned up and started playing for a minute. A guy walked over and asked if I was demo'ing the amp or the guitar. Then he asked what amp it was - "Huh, that sounds good... it sounds like a tube amp.". I smiled and said yeah it does sound pretty good.

The MIII can do a lot and does sound good at low volumes - but you do have to put some elbow grease into tweaking for your sound. Also - store your setting on the computer before you tweak them. I've often tweaked a patch and then found that it was pretty bad the next day. It is nice to roll back to the previous setting using the CPU.

Also - the four button controller is so much better than the two. They really work well running together.

Jim Dep likes this.

17. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I use the Bassman model as my main sound. To me whether you are playing clean or driven, it's the fullest sound available through the Mustang

holdonphoton likes this.

18. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I haven't had much luck with the Marshall stuff. Mind telling me some of your basic settings? I'd be looking for something similar - not all gained out, but a close to the edge.

19. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Me neither, I have a Marshall CODE50 that slays the Mustang for those sounds, which only makes sense. My fave high gain on the Mustang is the Supersonic model, but it's no Marshall

Bill likes this.

20. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Problem for me with both the Marshall and the SS is they are freaking noisy. I'm playing singles in a flouro lighted room in front of a laptop most of the time and it's just buzz city. I did just get a beater SG that helps a ton though.

There's a preset out there online called Big Singing Fuzz with the Bassman that is pretty spectacular though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.