Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

arto lindsay noise quartet live

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by chemobrain, Dec 6, 2017 at 1:07 PM.

1. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.

2. Cam

Cam Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Canada
    Saw him on main stage at a Folk Fest that shall remain anonymous a couple of years ago. It was a " what the ...." experience. I left thinking "how did that rate main stage?", and can he actually play guitar? Some folks liked it. The audience was sparse, the side stages packed. That is how the vote went. Some folks see noise as art as a scam I suppose.
    I'm off to the basement to thrash my guitar.

mars67 likes this.

3. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    What a fantastic band, and what a fantastic venue. So much talent out there just waiting to be discovered! Never seen or heard such a bunch of totally talentless c**p. The fans are suffering from the ‘Kings new clothes’ syndrome.

4. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    Macclesfield, UK
    Sorry, it's not for me. If I want random sounds I can listen to the sparrows and jackdaws squabbling in the yard, or go for a walk up the hill and hear the swoosh of the swifts as they flow screaming over your head, or down the vale and listen to the tinkling bubble of the brook over the pebbles...
    I did play freeform music for a while with a bunch of musicians (who mostly came from a jazz background) and it was actually great fun and liberating, (and no it did not involve drugs).
    Our drummer would pick a reading (anything!) and we would totally improvise using his spoken words as a 'seed'... often swopping instruments, preferably ones we could not play at all.
    We also took this out on stage - once... not surprisingly, it was received in open mouthed silence - so we counted that as a success :0)

chemobrain likes this.

5. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    Man, I could play that, and with no practice, too!

I hope no one had to pay for that.

chemobrain likes this.

6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    This was pretty well done, considering the limitations they placed on themselves. Each musician had to sort of carve out their own musical space in a way that brought everything together. Sometimes it sounds like it is all one instrument.

My students think that I am always too critical about things that I hear. But I usually like music that sounds like the players are trying to do something interesting and new.

tintag27 and TigerG like this.

7. chemobrain

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    gblue &tintag
    thank you for listening and responding your impressions and perspectives are respected here.POPS Sachimo Louis Armstrong said that be-bop sounded like Chinese music. That means that he really didn't like it.
    BE-BOP: cHARLIE PARKER, Ornette Colman, Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonious Monk, Charles Mingus, Sonny Rollins, Dexter Gordon on and on.
    It all depends on which Loa is speaking to you and from where. Some folks get struck by jes grew and there ain't no holden back and every time you turn around it jes grew some more.
    there's a place called "outside", and if you go further along you'll arrive at way-outside. Once you're into way-outside and jes grew is the set designer there's more space between the sounds tones rhythms, scales, tempo, meter, harmony, all of which can just vaporize when you find yourself way-outside and listening to the
    Loa. WAY OUTSIDE cannot be marketed, pigeon-holed mass-produced, homogenized, codified or counterfeit because it just won't stay still long enough, cause way-outside has the real strong juice of jes grew flowing through it.
    When jes grew and way-outside really intersect and merge there is a transcendent state. The spirit and heart are unified and well it's like a very special kind of church service, ain't got no walls no stained glass windows or collection plate. It jes grew.

Minimalist518 likes this.

8. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    Exactly my sentiments, chemobrain!

And now I must be on my way...!

chemobrain likes this.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Kinda like Ferris Bueller's clarinet playing....."Never had one lesson!"

10. chemobrain

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    Well I'm glad to have been helpful with my absurdist explanation of the goings on inside of the of at which is intuitive sitting just out-side the realm of stop signs and speeding tickets out-side the rational and logic.

qblue likes this.

11. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    Helsinki, Finland
    I think that music should have at least two things, to be called music. That's a rhythm and a melody. And if You can dance to it, even better. That was not music. That was noise produced by musical instruments.

chemobrain likes this.

12. Cam

Cam Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Canada
    Of course it is a "noise" quartet and from that point of view could be heard as an outstanding example.
    Parody as product perhaps.
    I'm off to download some some conceptual minimalist music. It involves no sound at all. I get to hit play then imagine what the music should be.

chemobrain likes this.

13. chemobrain

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    John Cage" there is sound. If you like it, it is music, if you don't it's noise." The recording's title is a vague, oblique hint regarding what to expect .... when listening.

14. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    Some people are hung up over music with rhythm and melody. I think these people love to read music and be able to share it, too. I'll more likely share the experience by performance, recordings are welcome.

I don't think most R&B and some jazz cannot be written down correctly, especially the rhythms. I knew Chemobrain was on the right track when he mentioned Ornette Coleman, one of my idols. I love the freedom of jazz, but can it still be used to define what these guys do?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.